Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Episodes that you like/love that other people dislike/hate?

SpittyPie2005

- 2,4,6 Greeaaattt (probably speller that wrong) I actually enjoyed this episode cause I understood wanting to avoid something someone else likes but you don’t.

- The End in Friend (I thought this episode was cute and enjoyable)

- Putting Your Hoof Down (I liked seeing Bad Fluttershy and it’s also physically impossible for me to dislike a Fluttershy episode)

• Brohoof 2

-Stare Master

-Show Stoppers

-Mysterious Mare Do Well

-Putting Your Hoof Down

-Spike at Your Service (this is more of a guilty pleasure so take this with a grain of salt)

-Newbie Dash

-Fake It 'Till You Make It

• Brohoof 1

"Feeling Pinkie Keen" - I think people have turned around on this one by now; it's just the poorly-conveyed moral that is a problem. Aside from that I find this to be one of the funniest episodes in the show. I like all the elaborate slapstick. 

"Putting Your Hoof Down" - I see why people might be turned off by Fluttershy randomly becoming mean or by how unfair this is to Iron Will, but I just find "New Fluttershy" delightful. 

"Dragon Quest" - I always feel like people miss the forest for the trees with this one. It's as imaginative and energetic as the best episodes of its season, and I find the lesson Spike learns here - that his identity comes from ponies rather than dragons, and that's okay - genuinely heartwarming. What he should be doesn't matter; he just needs to be himself. 

"Daring Don't" - I always thought it was fun that Daring Do turned out to be real. 

"Leap of Faith" - I feel like, when talking about season 4, this episode tends to be overlooked by people who consider it "boring." But I would argue that it's way more emotionally complex than similar episodes that season, and I think it has more than its fair share of delightful silliness. And I never got sick of the Flim Flam Brothers. 

"Equestria Games" - As someone who isn't interested in sports, I'm a little surprised that so many people were disappointed by this not being a generic sports comedy. Personally I think this is the most mature of the Spike episodes, because it's laser-focused on his anxieties. I guess I could do without some of the secondhand embarrassment, though, even if it is important to showing Spike's insecurity. 

"The Hooffields & the McColts" - I can't be the only person who thinks this episode is really funny. 

"The Crystalling" and "To Where and Back Again" - These both seem obviously excellent to me to the point that I'm not entirely sure why they're so widely disliked. 

"Flutter Brutter" - I'm pretty sure I like this for the exact same reason that many people hate it. Zephyr feels almost like an Archer character to me. Hilarious. 

"Spice Up Your Life" - Sue me, I think this is charming, and I don't think Rarity's characterization is that off-base. I mean, she's just trying to help. 

"Triple Threat" - I think Spike is sympathetic in this, and there's a lot of great funny moments. Ember eating Twilight's castle is glorious. 

"Secrets and Pies" - This season was really dry so the creative absurdity here seemed like a breath of fresh air at the time. And I don't know how anyone can resist such silliness as Pinkie Pie imagining Rainbow Dash as an evil being dedicated to destroying pies. 

"Father Knows Beast" - I'll admit that this does a better job than "Dragon Quest" of examining Spike's family situation. I find his longing for the dragon parents he never knew to be heartbreaking, and Twilight's obvious sadness about the things she can't help Spike with is really poignant as well. I honestly find this to be one of the show's most emotional episodes, even with all its imperfections. 

"Uprooted" - Kind of a bland rehash of stuff the show has done before, but this comes closer to the show's early charms than a lot of episodes that are more universally beloved. 

"The Point of No Return" and "Going to Seed" - Again, I think these are obviously great and don't fully understand why people shrug them off. 

"The Last Crusade" - I never really agreed with people's conviction that Scootaloo must be an orphan, so I'm just happy to finally have her family situation clarified, especially in such detail. This is not a particularly great episode, but I found the main conflict here sympathetic, and that's enough for me. 

"Between Dark and Dawn" - I think people have become convinced that Celestia and Luna should act a certain way, even if it basically prevents them from doing anything at all interesting. I don't really get that mindset, as this seems delightful to me. 

"Growing Up is Hard to Do" - I guess it says more about my low expectations for this show that I didn't even bat an eye at an episode which ignores the CMC's increasing responsibility, but I still think that this is a great cartoon episode when taken out of that context. The CMC never really stopped acting like kids so this seemed true to them even though they've done far more mature things recently. 

"Rainbow Roadtrip" - It's just so cute. 

Other than most of the episodes already mentioned in this thread, I liked 28 Pranks Later. I understand the criticism, but if you take it at face value, I think it’s enjoyable. 

• Brohoof 1

56 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Other than most of the episodes already mentioned in this thread, I liked 28 Pranks Later. I understand the criticism, but if you take it at face value, I think it’s enjoyable. 

Yeah, I agree; I think the pranks are actually kinda funny and that the zombie part has a cool atmosphere. 

Also I actually like "Newbie Dash," which I think is a lot more sympathetic towards Rainbow Dash than people realize. 

• Brohoof 2

“What About Discord?”- I like the atmosphere that the writers created intentionally in this ep (it was confirmed by Big Jim himself). Put myself into Twilight’s foot in this bizarre situation in the second watch make this episode much better than it actually is.

“28 Pranks Later” - I think zombies are cool ideas in this ep, good ep to watch in Halloween and i dont think Dash actions in this ep contradict her character in Griffon the Brush Off.

”Secrets & Pies” - Another comedic episode was harshly criticized. This ep is so funny that remind me some good old S1 episodes, one of very last few funny Pinkie episodes left. 

“Fame & Misfortune” - Yes, i love this episode for its meta humors. I still think some people take this episode in the wrong ways until this day. Not to say this ep is perfect or anything, but it is not the worst episode that people trying make it to be.

”Putting Your Hoof Down” - One of the best Fluttershy episode of the entire show. It shares one problem that Fame has: Ponyville suddenly become Assville in that ep just to fit the plot, if you focus to that aspect to criticize this ep then welcome. This ep shows us more side of Fluttershy that already hinted in Best Night Ever, she can be kind and timid at time but she can be very scary if you push her button. Fluttershy is Bubble character in pony form in this show. 

“Flutter Brutter” - I didnt like this ep at first but fell in love with it in the second watch, maybe because i was too focused on how obnoxious Zephyr is. Fluttershy just become Sassy Shy and she keeping that way from that points, tell me it isnt character progression. The song is just very good, a bit too sudden but very good.

”To Where and Back Again” - This finale aired when Starlight controversy at its peak, this remind me of one guy who hate this finale so much that he want to quit the show. I think this is a very creative idea to put all previously bad guys into one team to defeat the villain while good guys are capture. No crazy rainbow laser beam or friendship monologue, just power of wits and teamwork. Chrysalis refused reformation is a good choice that make this ep a 9/10, i love when the show is being clever. 

• Brohoof 1

I really liked Newbie Dash and I was surprised when I found out most people didn't. To me it felt like one of the more realistic episodes of the show.

I loved Secrets and Pies because it was hilarious. Personally one of my favorite episodes.

Also I'm not sure if it's disliked per se but I've never known anyone to like Filly Vanilli as much as I do. Probably because it was really relatable to what I was going through the first time I saw it.

• Brohoof 1

Magical Mystery Cure, and Fame and Misfortune come to mind. Not going to ignore the former’s frankly evident flaws, but it was a turning point in my life. And the latter, I got a good amount of suspension of disbelief and laughed at the meta jokes :fluttershy:

I must add Newbie Dash. It’s not my favorite episode, but I do think most hate it because they completely missed the point 

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't go as far as say I love Hard to Say Anything, but it is the first episode that comes to mind that I like that not a lot of other people do.  I just really enjoyed how the episode conveyed its message of how love and romance doesn't really work the way as it does and stories, and that it takes time and work and getting to know the other person.  Outside of Steven Universe, I haven't really seen a lot of media aimed at children tackle romance like this, and I felt that it was done well for the most part in this episode.

I have heard a few people criticize the episode Newbie Dash. I like this episode! The reasons I like it, however, may be considered cruel by some.

WARNING: Negativity 

I loved seeing Rainbow Dash make so many mistakes because it probably helped her realize that she isn’t a perfect flyer. I also adore how Spit Fire saw through her bullshit and told her straight up that they don’t need someone constantly flaunting on their team. Rainbow Dash needed this tough love approach and it was SO satisfying for me

• Brohoof 2

Kind of a forgotten episode more than a hated episode, but I really like Rock Solid Friendship. Maud gets some new development, showing that she sometimes does get tired of Pinkie, and even admits that she gets lonely sometimes. Starlight also gets a new friend, and that's cool to see

• Brohoof 2