Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology How old is your computer?

CastletonSnob

The laptop I'm using right now I think is about 3 or 4 years old. Though the computer I have at home is about 8 1/2.

Though I'm about to get a brand new gaming PC courtesy of a very generous man in my life (of course, not pre-built, we're actually going to build it TOGETHER) . :wub:

Edited by Dustleeshus

My laptop is 7 years old. It has worked pretty fine up until mid this year when it got an annoying problem that couldn’t even be fixed with a factory reset :maud: (it won’t let me reset it...). It’s a bit slow and can’t run certain programs but I’ve found workarounds. Might consider a replacement this year. Maybe.

I got this laptop about a year and a half ago for college. Now that I'm not in college anymore I'm trying to sell / trade it for an Xbox One, and the computer that I'm planning to use as my laptop's replacement is thirteen years old :ButtercupLaugh: but it can load webpages and save files, and if I get an Xbox that's really all I need a computer to do. I'll probably throw a $20 SSD in it just to make it a little nicer to use. It's got a crappy laptop hard drive in it right now since that's what I had on hand. I doubt it can run Windows 10 very well, so I've just got Linux running on it. I forgot how much I don't like Linux. Maybe I'll just try Windows once I get the SSD.

1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

The laptop I use is actually an old one of my mom’s....it’s like at least 6 years old. I’m getting a chrome book for my birthday.

You should build your self a nice desktop pc sometime just for fun, and they are nice to have even if you dont game! Does not have to be a monster pc or anything. :rarityhat:

• Brohoof 1

I've had my current PC since December 2015, so it isn't too old. It does what I need it to and runs games fun, but I'll have to make a few upgrades sooner or later.

While I have older computers, I actually have a working computer on my desk from 1998, specially designed for my development testing purposes, and as can be seen, guarded by none other than Starlight Glimmer:
pc1998_pII400.jpg

Monitor is a CRT flat Trinitron 21-inch monitor, for development purposes.

The current Operating System running there is Windows NT 3.51 Service Pack 5. A OS/2 subsystem (can be seen) is installed on it as well, for development purposes.

CPU: Intel Pentium II 400 MHz. Graphics card is a ATi Rage II+DVD, for development purposes.

And the bios says 1998. However, the monitor is from 1999. Notice that the mouse, keyboard, computer, and monitor are all the same IBM brand. Because I am OCD (not really, I was just lucky).

You see, on of the best feature of this computer is a setting in the bios, so the computer doesn't turn off after Windows 9X is shut down, so that lovely black screen with orange text "It's now safe to turn off your computer." is being seen, again for development purposes. There is also a setting in the bios to turn off CPU cache, which makes the computer very slow, so you can see graphics being drawn on the screen, again for development purposes.

I am a .... developer, for development purposes. :mlp_yeehaa: McDonald's Starlight Glimmer agrees!

• Brohoof 2

Something like 2-3 years old now. It was originally my alt computer for local server hosting/file storage/just in case my original computer broke or something. A backup. I had money at the time so I figured why not.

Surely enough, the OS on the original hard drive stopped working, and I was afraid to do a fresh/repair install because I didn't want to accidentally lose anything important, so I just started using the alt computer as my main one. Probably for the better to be honest, it has better specs anyways and I like the case more.

Eventually I was able to connect that old hard drive as a secondary drive, pulled files off it, fixed the issues it was having, and got the thing running again as my 'new' alt (that one is maybe like 4-5 years old). ^^

• 2 years later...

I'm still basically sitting on a mechanical hard drive from 2004, and a computer from 2013. That is not impressive. However, the work I am doing on it every single day is impressive, but will only be so if the hard drive doesn't crash on me and I lose all my work!