Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is this a new decade?

CastletonSnob

In my opinion yes, the decade runs from 2020-2029 rather than 2021-2030, this decade can then be referred to as the 2020's to distinguish it from the others, 2030 will be the start of the 2030's.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

@Brony Number 42 That'd explain the people who deliberately dress in old clothing, although I think the 80's are going to make a real comeback.

This is most definitely a new decade. You start at zero before actually counting. You're not the age of 1 till you reach your first year. On board games you begin on start, not space #1, ect.

New decade, same old problems.

• Brohoof 1

A decade is a period of 10 years. Since in the Gregorian calendar there is no 'year 0' (1 BC was immediately followed by 1 AD), and assuming the 'first' decade started on 1 January 1 AD, that means the next decade doesn't officially start until next year.

But I just go with this year as the start of the new decade because that's what everyone else is doing.

• Brohoof 1

It’s a new decade. It’s determined by the 3rd digit in the year. 2020. We just finished the “Two thousand tens”. These years will be referred to as the “Two thousand twenties”.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know why this is still going on. As a reminder, we celebrated the new Millennium when we hit 2000, not 2001!

Again, when counting you start at zero.

Edited by SharpWit

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a place where I can be pedantic without annoying anyone! :ticking: Every time I see or hear someone talking about the new decade, a voice in my head says it's still a year away! :unamused:

The 203rd decade starts in 2021 with 2030 being its last year, the 2020s start in 2020 and end after 2029 but it isn't an official decade. The same difference as the one between the 1900s (years 1900 to 1999) and the 20th century (years 1901 to 2000).

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 4