Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Is 90s culture trending again and why?

ggg-2

Recently it seems as if 90s culture has been coming back into fashion since the 2010s. We've had revivals of Ducktales (which okay, premiered in 1987), Figure It out, Double Dare, a revival Animaniacs coming exclusively on Hulu this year and I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys being referenced seemingly every 5 minutes. The 90s were a culturally influential decade but why is this resurgence happening now? 

• Brohoof 1

The people who grew up in the 90's are now in positions where they can make references to it in more professional settings, in addition to the nostalgia that's been previously mentioned.

Also they were goods times and we're running low on good ideas so we're bringing em back!

• Brohoof 1

You are seeing a general revival of 80's and 90's properties. As you mentioned with the 80's you have Duck Tales and Double Dare. You also have Goonies 2, Ghostbusters (seen as more of an 80's property), Stranger Things, ruching, An American Werewolf in London, Big Trouble in Little China, Gremlins, Clueless, Craft ... on and on. But the thing is that this is nothing new .... in the 80's and 90's we got bloody inundated with movie versions of 60's and 70's IP's like Dragnet, Dr. Doolittle, Flubber, Addams Family, That Darn Cat, Nutty Professor, Brady Bunch, and on and on and on.  

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Brony Number 42 said:

Because it is now in the 20 to 30 year window where things become nostalgic. I remember in the 1990s when the 1960s was nostalgic. 

That basically covers it - most revivals are nostalgia cash-ins, when children who grew up with a certain thing now have not only enough money to spend on those things {since there's only so much pocket money you can spend on merch}, but a lot of them also have children of their own who they want to introduce to the awesomeness of the things they grew up with {and it has to be awesome, otherwise they wouldn't have liked it, right?}. Combine that with the fact that it seems new to kids {because they hadn't been born yet when it was in its heyday} and there's that much less to invest in creativity rather than refinement for whatever new trends have emerged on their own recently.

Some of it works better than others, mainly because nostalgia can create interest, but not enjoyment - for example, the new Ghostbusters movie bombed, as did Jen and the Holograms. Therefore, while cashing in on nostalgia with reboots saves on PR, or at least amplifies it, the reboots still need to stand up on their own for any of it to last.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna have to say no, not yet. We're still stuck in the 80s phase. In some ways 90s culture never quite went away. Alternative and grunge elements permeate rock. R&B & Hip Hop dominate the mainstream. Pop music has stayed strong for over 30 years. Shows and movies based on comics are now commonplace. The anime boom started in the 90s has only grown and is now becoming far less niche. Retro gaming has been a trend for a while, so it's not exactly a new trend to capitalize on when people are still playing those "classic" games. And as mentioned, much of what was popular in the 90s was actually 60s nostalgia and culture, which probably won't fly over very well with Gens Y & Z very well. 

Some aspects we probably can't go back to. The 90s were a time of pride and optimism in America. The care free 90s it was called. What connected with everyone back then would be deemed laughable by today's cynical young adults. The entertainment that pushed the envelope would be deemed tasteless and offensive. Adrenaline filled, campy action with a patriotic slant in movies has now been subbed with Somber, introspective, gritty realism. Video games, internet and social media, stuff that was new and mind blowing for the time has become the norm, with each improvement since becoming less and less astonishing. Heck, the way we enjoy media is far different than back then 30 years ago. Even 10 years ago.          

In short, we can't really have 90s nostalgia because we've built too much upon what the 90s started. Parts of the 90s are entwined with our daily lives, while other parts can't be recreated with the current mindset of society. When the 2040s come, many say there won't be a nostalgia bomb, because the 2010s were a decade of nostalgia, longing for better times. Well I think the nostalgia trend ends even sooner. Here in the 2020s. Because how can you be nostalgic for an era that's still with us in some ways? 

90’s were good for video gaming, but not so much for the music. Those people like Nirvana and Backstreet Boys prove my stance on how popularity is not quality, just like I’d say for Brandi Carlile today. StarFox, Legend of Zelda, Banjo Kazooie, Super Mario 64, and eventually Pokemon came out, and that is what I believe made the 90’s a good era, not the music

Edited by Eren Jaeger

One simple word: Nostalgia. It is a powerful word for almost anyone. Remembering what people consider to be "better" times and the memories therein will always make people long for that time again. Doesn't help that the world today is sorta becoming a raging dumpster fire. Well, more of one. 

• Brohoof 1

The 90s was best decade, word :secret: . Too bad I couldn’t have more livid memories of it. Just remember a lot of times with friends at the apartments I used to live in, or the elementary school I went to. Ohld.

Yes nostalgia. I know I didn’t quite mention anything media related.

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

Everything seems to run in 30 year cycles. Clothing trends in particular always seem to come around again every three decades. So I guess the same goes for other things too. I’m glad to see it because the current trends don’t impress me in the slightest.  

• Brohoof 1