Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open A Rift in Time (EQG) -RP

Emerald Heart

@Renegade the Unicorn

Emerald's eyes darkened, all her attention on those two girls. She clenched and unclenched her fists, visibly shaking.

She walked over to the girls, her head ducked the slightest bit. It's like Emerald's whole body had suddenly been set on auto pilot.

Emerald yanked the girl's hand upward and twisted it behind her back, grabbing the sketchbook out of the girl's hands.

When the girl tried to protect, Emerald raised her hand and silenced her. Emerald glared down, her eyes turning a dark shade of purple for a brief second. 

The girl just stared at her and scampered off without another world. Emerald turned around and clutched the sketchbook close to her chest. 

She chuckled and was takan aback when she saw her friend, "Rebel? Ah... when did you get here?" She asked, her cheeks growing a deep shade of red, already embarrassed.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

@Emerald Heart

"I thought we were gonna hang out." Rebel said, approaching her friend and hugging her. "Are you OK? I thought things were about to get violent, y'know?" She paused. "I'd hurt someone if it meant protecting you."

"I'm so sorry." She responded, bowing apologetically, "I... I didn't mean to scare you..." She stuttered, "I just... I wasn't in my right mind..." She sighed, "That sketchbook is the most important thing to me." She answered, "Plus, my artwork is kinda embarrassing... people would laugh at me if they ever saw it." She explained, then squeezed Rebel tighter, "I... I'm so sorry I didn't notice you... I'm such an idiot... such an idiot." 

@Emerald Heart

"Hey, now...sh-sh-sh-shush." Rebel assured, affectionately stroking Emerald's hair. "I don't care if you like drawing whatever. You're you." Had anyone been watching them (thankfully no one was around), they might've made a crack at Rebel and Emerald hugging. And they would've been met with at best a threatening glare or at worst a beating and probably a shiv that would've landed Rebel back in juvie. "You're not an idiot, you know. You're sweet, and you're kind and I love you." Realizing what she said thirty seconds too late, Rebel blushed furiously, her eyes wide. "N-not like that, I-I-mean...oh Sweet Baby Ray's, now look who's the idiot..."

1 minute ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

@Emerald Heart

"Hey, now...sh-sh-sh-shush." Rebel assured, affectionately stroking Emerald's hair. "I don't care if you like drawing whatever. You're you." Had anyone been watching them (thankfully no one was around), they might've made a crack at Rebel and Emerald hugging. And they would've been met with at best a threatening glare or at worst a beating and probably a shiv that would've landed Rebel back in juvie. "You're not an idiot, you know. You're sweet, and you're kind and I love you." Realizing what she said thirty seconds too late, Rebel blushed furiously, her eyes wide. "N-not like that, I-I-mean...oh Sweet Baby Ray's, now look who's the idiot..."

"It's okay." She reassured, "I love you too." She smiled through her tears, "I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out yesterday." She apologized.

@Emerald Heart

"Oh but we did, didn't we?" Rebel responded with a knowing smirk. She knew. She had that look in her eyes. "Look, I'm not stupid, Em." she said shortly before revealing the spiked collar with her birthstone. "I know you're a magical girl."

"You better." She responded, "You helped me out, remember? You got that collar." She pointed out, gesturing to the collar on the girl's neck.

Just now, Emerald Heart said:

"You better." She responded, "You helped me out, remember? You got that collar." She pointed out, gesturing to the collar on the girl's neck.

"Oh yeah, I remember." Rebel responded. "Who was that Ace of Hearts dude, though? He seems familiar..."

"Oh yeah, I remember." Rebel responded. "Who was that Ace of Hearts dude, though? He seems familiar..."

She shrugged her shoulders, "Heck if I know." She answered, "That's the second time he's saved me, though. So because of that, I'm pretty sure she's our ally." She explained. Her eyes suddenly widened, "Crud, is that the time? I'm late for class! We have an English test today!" She hugged her friend quickly, "See you after school, see ya, bye!"

It had been the arm of his glasses that'd come off in the night that had kept him from getting to school on time; the sorry thing had been under the bed the whole time, but he'd searched everywhere else first, it had seemed.  More duct tape, then off to whatever new pain the school would throw at him next.

He'd managed to skirt most of the local bullies, and had made his way around to the side of the school with the most witnesses.  From there, he could easily get insi-

32 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"That sketchbook is the most important thing to me.  Plus, my artwork is kinda embarrassing... people would laugh at me if they ever saw it.  I... I'm so sorry I didn't notice you... I'm such an idiot... such an idiot." 

Was that..?

24 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

"Hey, now...sh-sh-sh-shush.  I don't care if you like drawing whatever. You're you.  You're not an idiot, you know. You're sweet, and you're kind and I love you... n-not like that, I-I-mean...oh Sweet Baby Ray's, now look who's the idiot..."

He peeked around the corner, and saw what looked like Emerald and Rebel... hugging?  Wait - the bully HUGGED someone?  What in the world..?

He gave an internal chuckle.  Maybe that boot in the butt I gave her yesterday jogged her memory, and she recalled that she was human, hunh?

22 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"It's okay.  I love you too.  I'm sorry we didn't get to hang out yesterday."

Love...

Deuce had only known that emotion from his parents, and one of them was gone.  He'd never really had much activity in that particular circle, and with his experiences with folks like Rebel Rouser, he didn't really have much interest in it.  One less thing to worry about, he used to think.

Now, though... seeing the two like that, and hearing them tell each other those words (he was fairly certain it wasn't, like, smoochy-love)... Deuce felt something inside him scratching at the door to his heart, whimpering to be let in.  Would he answer that door?  Only time would tell... but he felt like he was missing something, and if-

16 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

"Oh but we did, didn't we?  Look, I'm not stupid, Em."

No, not stupid... just psychotic, crazy, and a bonafide lunatic, THAT'S all!  I mean, what kind of girl carries around a switchblade at school?  The kind of girl you can't trust to NOT stab you when she's supposed to be 'protecting' you, that's what kind!  Numbskull, how could you have handed me off to her for protection?  Didn't you see what she was gonna do to me the other day?  I mean, you might be oblivious, but I didn't think you were THAT-

Wait... she said something else, didn't she?  Something about... magic?

Deuce had been so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he'd missed a KEY piece of information; too bad, that.

13 minutes ago, Renegade the Unicorn said:

"Oh yeah, I remember.  Who was that Ace of Hearts dude, though? He seems familiar..."

THAT, he'd heard... and a chill raced down his spine.

I can't let them know... I can't let ANYONE know; it's MY secret, and I have to protect it if I want to keep doing my duty.  I have to keep others safe...

He mentally sighed.  Even psychos like Rebel, he thought with a weary resignation.  Slowly, he made his way back towards the side doors; he wasn't about to try to come between two friends who were having a moment.

Not that I'd mind being between them for a hug, he pondered; heck, Rebel might be a mean sonuvagun... but she was kinda cute, like Numbskull is...

DEUCE!  He caught himself mentally.  WHOA, there!  Don't even THINK you have anything they'd want!  Snap out of it, man!

With confusion on the brain, he headed inside, not certain whether he was getting sick or not.

(edited)

@Randimaxis

Emerald noticed him on her run to class and waved at him with a smile on her face, "Hey,  Deuce!" She shouted, waving her hand excitedly. Being the idiot she was, she smacked right into a column and fell backwards onto the ground. 

But instead of crying or seeming embarrassed, she burst out laughing at her own clumsiness, "Oh, Emerald..." She scolded herself, followed by another happy laugh.

She waved at Deuce again and smiled happily, "Hey, Deuce! It's me, Emerald!" She practically yelled, as she laughed to herself even more. Her tears had dissolved and she had quickly become more of a hyperactive mess.

Edited by Emerald Heart

13 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"Hey,  Deuce!"  >SMACK!<  "Oh, Emerald..."

"Hey, Deuce! It's me, Emerald!"

He closed his eyes and shook his head at her collision with the column, but seeing she wasn't hurt, he just chuckled instead.

"Those things just jump out of nowhere, don't they?" he joked.  "Hey, yesterday, you... stuff was going on.  I was kinda worried about you, but I'm glad you're okay."

He then gave a slight wry grin.  "But for future reference, it's probably not a good idea to leave me alone with someone like Rebel; if I hadn't taken off, she might've skinned me alive, y'know?  Still," he pushed his glasses back up onto his face, "thanks for being concerned.  And... yeah, regardless of how she was to me, I'm glad Rebel's okay too."

He shrugged.  "Just because someone's mean to me, it doesn't mean I wanna see 'em dead or anything.  I mean, you two seem to get along okay, and... well, even though she hates my guts, I wouldn't want you to be upset if anything happened to her.  I mean, you two are friends... r-right?"

Even with everything going on, and the past he'd made so far with this numbskull... he really didn't think she was his friend.  However, he also realized she wasn't his enemy, either... and maybe, who knew, she might think of him as a true friend in due time.  But after years of being an outcast, Deuce was still hesitant to put his faith into friendship - not without more time to figure out what it meant to him.

And Rebel?  Well, if Emerald could keep the greaseball from beating the bejeezus out of him, that was another point in her corner.  Of course, he still couldn't understand Rebel much... and he STILL had that comment she'd made about him floating around in his head...

Why was high school so difficult!?

"So, you look up those fraction tables like I texted you?  They're on the same page as the geometric figures, and they might help with some of your calculations."

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"Those things just jump out of nowhere, don't they?" he joked.

She chuckled and walked over to him, "You bet." She answered, "And believe it or not, this isn't the first one I've bumped into today." She said, laughing a bit more.

18 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"Hey, yesterday, you... stuff was going on.  I was kinda worried about you, but I'm glad you're okay."

She stood frozen in shock for a bit, before beaming at him, "Thanks! I'm glad you're okay, too." She answered, winking at him.

22 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"But for future reference, it's probably not a good idea to leave me alone with someone like Rebel; if I hadn't taken off, she might've skinned me alive, y'know? 

She tilted her head to the side and stared at him blankly, "I don't understand what you mean." She then paused and had to think it over for a good five minutes before she understood, "Oh!  The stabby thing earlier." She realized, "Yeah, the thing is, she's not gonna do any of that stuff to you anymore." She said nonchalantly, without any context at all. She looked at him and crossed her arms, "Besides, you can't exactly pick and choose who gets to protect you when you're in danger." She turned her head to the side, "And based on what you've told me... I couldn't risk you getting hurt." Her cheeks reddened a bit.

32 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"So, you look up those fraction tables like I texted you?  They're on the same page as the geometric figures, and they might help with some of your calculations."

"I did look at them. But here's the thing man, they make no effing sense!" She shouted, "I mean, how can you understand those things? It's so complicated! If I fail, what am I supposed to do when I go to college? I'll probably have to re-learn this stuff twenty times, and I have to since I want to be a teacher! And you know what elementary teachers teach don't you? EVERYTHING! Including Math! What kind f teacher would I be if I can't teach them multiplication tables?!" She panicked.

22 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"Thanks! I'm glad you're okay, too."

Was... d-did she just wink at me?

For some reason he couldn't identify, his spine did a little wibbly-wobbly thing when she did that; he knew nothing of what crushes were, so he just chalked it up to 'growing pains', as his father called stuff like that, and smiled back.

23 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"I don't understand what you mean... Oh!  The stabby thing earlier.  Yeah, the thing is, she's not gonna do any of that stuff to you anymore."

Deuce gave a skeptical look.  "Yeah, well... as long as you're around, I guess.  Still, it's hard to trust someone who was about to carve their name into you."

He shuddered slightly at that; bad enough that he'd had to deal with bruises and scrapes, and even a broken arm once, but he'd NEVER had a blade pulled on him before.  He wanted to believe Emerald... but the life he'd had until now had been FULL of disappointments; he'd wait and see what would happen when he saw Rebel next.

26 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"Besides, you can't exactly pick and choose who gets to protect you when you're in danger.  And based on what you've told me... I couldn't risk you getting hurt."

Wow, she... actually gave a fig about what happens to me?

He was still wary about trusting friendship - but that statement brought him a little closer to it.

27 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"I did look at them. But here's the thing man, they make no effing sense!  I mean, how can you understand those things? It's so complicated! If I fail, what am I supposed to do when I go to college? I'll probably have to re-learn this stuff twenty times, and I have to since I want to be a teacher! And you know what elementary teachers teach don't you? EVERYTHING! Including Math! What kind of teacher would I be if I can't teach them multiplication tables?!"

Deuce chuckled.  "Hey, it's okay - not everyone understands math so well - don't feel bad.  Look," he mused, "try doing something as a mnemonic reminder; maybe put each table to some sort of music?  Perhaps that might make it easier on you.  After all, nobody said you COULDN'T sing them, right?"

@Randimaxis

Emerald thought about that for a second, "hmm..." she thought, "That's actually not a bad idea!" She said with a smile, "I'll look over your messages again tonight and see if I can remember them better this time!" She nudged him gently with her elbow, "No wonder you're so smart, huh?"

16 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

"That's actually not a bad idea!  I'll look over your messages again tonight and see if I can remember them better this time!  No wonder you're so smart, huh?"

Deuce wasn't used to such a compliment; he stared for a moment, then shyly shrugged.

"Yeah, well, y'know... not having a social life leaves a lot of time to dig into the books.  Besides, I just apply myself, is all... not that hard, once you get used to it."

He was being modest; he had one of the highest GPAs in his class, and might make Valedictorian... if he wasn't so afraid of having to speak in front of everyone on Graduation Day, that was.

"Look, the class bell rings soon, so we can catch up later - just watch out for those columns, numbskull," he added, but this time he meant the nickname as a kindly thing; no scorn in his voice when he said it.

Is... i-is THIS how you make friends?

Just now, Randimaxis said:

Deuce wasn't used to such a compliment; he stared for a moment, then shyly shrugged.

"Yeah, well, y'know... not having a social life leaves a lot of time to dig into the books.  Besides, I just apply myself, is all... not that hard, once you get used to it."

He was being modest; he had one of the highest GPAs in his class, and might make Valedictorian... if he wasn't so afraid of having to speak in front of everyone on Graduation Day, that was.

"Look, the class bell rings soon, so we can catch up later - just watch out for those columns, numbskull," he added, but this time he meant the nickname as a kindly thing; no scorn in his voice when he said it.

Is... i-is THIS how you make friends?

Her eyes widened, "Oh crud, you're right!" She gave him a small hug, "Later, bud!" She shouted, then ran the rest of the way to class. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

(Hey everypony, sorry it took me so long to respond. I was having issues on thinking what I should write next).

@applesjck

Emerald skipped into class, just a smidgen late. She smiled at her teacher and quickly apologized for being a second late. The teacher just waved her off and gestured to her seat. Being the nerd she was, Emerald twirled as she walked, and missed the chair out of her dizziness. She groaned and rubbed her shoulder, but then started to giggle.

She then frowned when she realized she had fallen on someone, "So sorry!" She apologized, raising herself up and offering her hand, "Guess I really fell for ya, huh?" She joked, ending it with a wink, just to be silly. 

Edited by Emerald Heart
  • Brohoof 1