Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many cats does thee have

CatCat

I only have one, I think she’d be happy with a companion but I can’t afford taking care of two kitties.  I just think she’s lonely sometimes....

E0DC154C-49FC-40FD-AD9E-D4BEB64660B4.jpeg

Currently 4.

I think my mom got this one cat shortly after divorcing my dad but I'm not sure because of how little I was. My only memories of that one are it sitting on my pajamas and hissing at me when I would try to get them after having my bath. My first stepdad had a cat so we had two, but my mom's was too aggressive towards pretty much everyone I think so she got rid of it.

It was just the one for a little while, but then when we lived in a condo we brought home a kitten from a clinic my grandma was working at. They had taken in a stray tabby and her whole litter that was found underneath a house when at the same time some stray dogs were trying to get them and people heard the barking. We moved again, but the kitten grew up and began spraying on all of our laundry despite being neutered, so we'd go to get dressed in the morning and everything would be wet. He was literally sent to a farm up north, pretty close to where we got our next cat. Kind of miss him, not sure if he's still around.

Next one we bought from someone in their home. My mom and first stepdad didn't have a good marriage so that eventually ended and he took his cat with him. He remarried and lived in an apartment where you could have pets but for a fee so he just kept her outside. We noticed she was getting bigger so someone else must have been feeding her too and she would come around less and less since I was the only one giving her any affection at that point, and I was only there every other weekend, so finding more love and another food source elsewhere she moved herself. Felt really bad that a fricken cat had to make that decision. I used to slump against a couch with pillows behind me while watching TV and she'd actually be laying down on it with her head resting on top of mine.

Feeling an absence with only one cat in the house, my mom got another one. The other got older and had a heart attack, so we got another kitten from a shelter, but my mom felt bad for leaving her sister behind so she went back the next day for her. Unfortunately she died in an accident a month later, so we got yet another and here's where I need to emphasize something. IF YOU FIND A CAT THAT YOU THINK DOESN'T HAVE A HOME, TRY KNOCKING ON SOME OF THE NEARBY HOUSES OR TAKE IT IN TO SEE IF IT'S MICROCHIPPED. The reason I have to say that is because we've always allowed our cats to go in and out of the house as they please. We keep them inside while they're young so they know where home is, then we let them out for short periods of time where they get to experience a bit of the outside world, and as they get older they'll explore more but always make their way back home. The latest cat was still a kitten but she was at the point that she could go about on her own and never left the front lawn. She loved getting pet by strangers going past, and that's the last thing I ever saw happening to her. Looked out the window, smiled, walked away, and apparently those people walked away too but with our cat.

Off again to the shelter and if you're keeping track those three are still with us. The surviving sister is mine at this point so I don't know if my mom made the decision out of anticipation for me moving out and taking her with me later this year, but she brought home a new kitten out of nowhere! Not the best decision because we had health issues going on with our cats and the last thing we needed to do was throw the inside territorial structure out of whack and add stress. That leaves us at our current 4, and I joked with my current stepdad that there's a 50% chance she'll get another cat when I move out, and he thinks that's betting too low.

To summarize all of that, 4 currently, but we've had 9 in total.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Zero. I like cats but I have allergies, so I'd have to take a hard pass on getting any.

Edited by Cash_In