Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Final Lesson: Should Twilight's Student Have Been Flurry Heart?

Denim&Venöm

During the final episode, we got a new student for Twilight in Luster Dawn. But would it have made more sense for Twi to be teaching her grown up niece, Flurry Heart? Who better for Cadence and Shiny to send their daughter? 

Were those three even in future Equestria? 

• Brohoof 3

You could see an older Flurry Heart on one of the stained glass windows in the castle, during the final episode. As for Shining Armor and Cadence, I don't recall seeing them.

• Brohoof 2

Actually, I don't know why it would be a good idea, they put Luster Dawn to show that Twilight took over the School for Gifted Unicorns as one of the few  royal duties, anyway, Flurry already has someone to teach her about magic . and everything related, her Crystaller, Sunburst in  company with Starlight. Shining and Cadence sending their daughter to Canterlot with Twilight doesn't make much sense either, because Twilight has nothing to teach Flurry that they can't teach her, I also doubt that Flurry Heart can live in Canterlot since she has an Empire to lead and defend, independent if Cadence is still the main ruler (but I think she would be a little older now.) Twilight could not send her to Ponyville for those same reasons either. The episode would have to be completely rewritten so that Flurry can fulfill the role that Luster played.

• Brohoof 1

It would have been more interesting, and allowed McFlurry to expand beyond being an overpowerer baby

Spoiler

Apparently, in the leaks Twilight's student really was originally gonna be McFlurry

• Brohoof 1

No. I don't like the idea of Twilight's pupil being anyone who was important beforehand; Twilight wasn't, after all. It's a better story if she's a regular pony, unrelated to anyone else.

I do understand why they introduced a new pony for Twilight's student, but it also makes it hard to feel for an bland empty slate of a character.

I also like the idea of Twilight and Flurry Heart's relationship continuing after she grows up and being a mentor as a Princess someone who isn't her mother. I think all the Mane Six seeing Flurry Heart growing up would be a great seasonal arc. Flurry would be such a waste to just be used for a premiere and several episodes ad a baby. And I wanted to see her coronation.

4 hours ago, Callisto said:

No. I don't like the idea of Twilight's pupil being anyone who was important beforehand; Twilight wasn't, after all. It's a better story if she's a regular pony, unrelated to anyone else.

Her brother was a captain of the royal guard and her babysitter was a princess ... So actually, she wasn't a regularl pony.

Edited by Jane

The cycle is not yet complete. Who will be the next Nightmare Moon? It's not going to be Cozy, I tell you. She's unique. The good guys are just replaceable flesh housing the will of Harmony, cursed to repeat the same story over and over again.

• Brohoof 1

It would have been a lovely idea. However, I think Luster works better because she’s a gifted, but still average pony, just like Twilight was. Also, McFlurry wouldn’t have played audience surrogate that well because she’s likely known the Mane 6 as she grew up

4 hours ago, Jane said:

Her brother was a captain of the royal guard and her babysitter was a princess ... So actually, she wasn't a regularl pony.

She wasn't important from birth, though, the way Flurry Heart was. And, no matter how you slice it, she wasn't born in to royalty and seemingly marked for greatness from day one like Flurry Heart, either.

15 hours ago, Megas said:

Hide contents

Apparently, in the leaks Twilight's student really was originally gonna be McFlurry

To be precise,

Flurry would approach Twilight with a question about her own student.

I think he idea might have been better than using a generic unicorn, but not as good as having, say, a zebra.

In the original planning of TLP, Flurry Heart was Twilight's student. However, even though she's an occasional mainstay, Luster Dawn relays the final episode's morals better. Flurry Heart's known Twilight since she was born and, despite being a baby, grasps the magic of friendship to some capacity. Aside from the student/teacher relationship, Luster Dawn has none and plenty to learn about friendship. By being a blank slate, DHX signals that it won't confine itself to generations' past or present. Luster and the episode's structure as a whole represent its future.

• Brohoof 1