Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching [OOC] Ambition for Ascension

Loud Opinion

• 2 weeks later...

When this role play started, Tone was the only thing centralizing everyone. As the RP went on the scope has gone beyond The Order of New Equestria.

Originally I only allowed one character per player to ensure that all characters had their fair share of agency. However, now the scope has broadened, I would like to amend that rule.

Now Multiple characters are allowed, but only one is allowed to be a member of Tone.

I'll update the OP accordingly.

(edited)
Credit goes to God Emperor@Loud Opinion for helping me out with this. A great deal of credit. He is the one true god.

Name: Magloria

Appearance:

Her earrings are shaped like water droplets, with a light blue sapphire making them look even more so. Cutie mark is a blue chain, twisting about and around itself. Grey eyes. Light blue coat, her mane and tail are made of various shades of lighter blue.

The chains in her cutie mark linked in a connected circle represents her inner void being satisfied with who she is as a pony and being accepted by others for who she is. The chains represent her ultimate fate in making friends.

Once upon a time in the crystal empire, there were two ponies named Radiant Hope and Sombra. The two were in love and there was a complication that would result in her death. After the passing of his wife, he was struck with intense grief. For a long while his Hope that he could bring them back was what guided him. He dabbles in the dark arts and uncovers a curse and Sombra is revived. 

The curse was so successful that they lived a normal life for years until the day Magloria is born. Sombra unknowingly had passed her life onto her daughter. As a result, Sombra began to fall apart. A tooth lost here, a birthday forgotten there. Radiant knew he was losing the love of his life and poured himself into the dark arts in hopes of finding a way to perfect the curse.

Every day is a challenge for him as he has to overcome the gaps within his profession, as Sombra's condition only worsened. Radiant never loses sight of his aims to restore his family to normalcy. If it worked once it can work again, all he needs is to understand what he did wrong the first time. This new challenge begins to write something in his soul. His constant fear of failure, of loss, drives him to pursue life. Fear is what maintains life. All life returns to chaos without fear.

Using the power of the poorly understood crystal heart, he schemes to put the entire kingdom into stasis along with his family in hopes of finally perfecting the cure for his wife. This backfires horribly on Radiant. His body is locked into stasis, but his mind remains. He knew that he couldn’t save himself and with his still free mind and magic, he guided his daughter Magloria to a nearby town while keeping her safe from the cold of the tundra. To this day Magloria is oblivious to her origins as she was too young to remember her parents, only faces without context and words without meaning.

Unable to move his body or cast spells, Radiant loses his mind.

The princesses assume the kingdom became what it was because of a tyrant. All of the dark magic under the ice pointed to that. They fabricated a story based on a letter, in which Radiant’s real name was switched with his wife due to bad mail service. When the kingdom returns, he returned along with it. Radiant lost the ability to speak, leading him to act accordingly to the princess's fabrications. His wife had gone missing, though that hardly mattered to the now beastly Radiant Hope.

Magloria went into the town and was taken in by a kind pony there. She was adopted by a loving mare named Whitefall. She grew up and got her cutie mark when she realized what she truly was: A spawn of dark magic. Upon her power being demonstrated the villagers feared her. Whitefall and Magloria were separated and she never saw her mother again.

This uproar was a deliberate reaction from the ponies who saw what she was. Realizing she was hated by them for what she was, she left for Sapphire mountain and hid in a cave by the long-abandoned Radiant Pass. Over time, her tears dried and soured to a bitter blend within her isolation. However, her heart had not completely frozen over. Within the pass, she saw the markings of one couple's true love. It reminded her of the love Whitefall showed her and kept the core of her soul nurtured even as the edges withered.

She had learned of drainage magic and a stasis spell from one of the two's notes and perfected it. What was once a prison of stasis, is now a method of hibernation for a century at a time within the cave. She would hibernate in hopes of society changing in a manner so she could finally feel accepted.

All the while, she would visit towns between her hibernation periods to abduct ponies to steal magic from. She has amassed a total of 18 ponies as her cave is only so large. Using her hibernation spell she would abduct ponies from those towns years apart so nobody could ever uncover the truth about those circumstances. She gives the ponies one chance to escape by casting dark magic spells. If they cast them it would prove that she wasn’t hated. If not, she traps them in eternal stasis. While in eternal stasis, she leaves them in various ghostly poses with expressions that indicate they were screaming or crying when put into stasis. A subtle catharsis as she did not have the heart to truly hurt them. She could at least pretend.

There was one pony who did escape though. His name was Silver Tongue who has earned her respect and vice versa.

Personality:

Magloria is extremely prideful in herself and what she believes. She sees others who don’t accept her as weak, wasteful, and naive. Magloria doesn’t understand why they all hate her so much and feels extremely frustrated with her identity.

While manipulative and deceitful and to accept her. Magloria desires connections with others, like how chains would link together on her cutie mark. Magloria is capable of being ominous and cryptic, yet also trustworthy while being easily approachable.

She wants to create fear in others and to cause the world to be a darker place. With a dimmer world, her shadow wouldn't block as much light. Maybe only then, would she be loved and accepted by others.

Abilities:

Magloria is capable of using a hibernation spell by putting herself or others within magical orbs. She is also capable of draining magic with her blue orbs as ponies naturally replenish their magical supply on her own. When her mane pulses blue it is when she is draining upon the magic of others.

Magloria is capable of fighting others physically and always has a retractable rapier at her side in a hilt. She is also capable of creating barriers, beams, and blue magical chains that she can use to restrain others that come out of her front hooves.
Edited by Starforce
  • Brohoof 1

just read this character and much lore was learned :) Am very interested about its motivations aand how they interact with the main story.

The question of the extent to which Magloria is redeemable is interesting :P also the light she shines on the flaws of the Princesses that are explored in the RP

• Brohoof 2

Ambition for Parody: Page 1 of the RP.

Spoiler

Starlight Facehoof alights from the train station, realising immediately that ascension to alicornhood is contrary to all her beliefs and that she should return to Non-alicorn Equality Village, her home. On the other-hoof she was a proud Facehoof, and doing things contrary to one’s belief is what Facehoofs have always believed in.

Starlight is shortly met by a refined silver mare with a bow, struggling with unwieldy player characters. “Just a moment.” the mare said, holding up a restraining hoof.

While Starlight is waiting for the silver mare, she decides to lift up inconsequential player characters. She boops them on their inconsequential snouts and gives them an ‘equalsies’ tattoo (aka Coloratura) before returning them to the ground.

Octavia’s eyes go wide at the display of raw power and she gestures towards the plot firmly, and says simply, “Go there.”

Starlight does not follow Octavia's direction and instead proceeds to proudly monologue loudly about equality. Octavia looks glum. “Go there?” Octavia repeats.

Starlight still does not follow Octavia. The grey mare looks over to her friend Silver Tongue for help. The silver mare says in her inimicable lyrical sophisticated tongueish way: “There plot. Nice plot. Go there!”

But Starlight was of the Facehoof clan and no Facehoof would comply with such straightforward demands. She continues her monologue about equality.

Octavia and Silver join forces to drag Staright to the plot,

Starlight enters the plot. It is tall. And arched. Albeit dusty from underuse. Starlight continues to monologue as she is dragged. The door to the plot reminds her of her village – shut off from the world to allow mares to monologue about equality.

The plot stretches, yawns and licks her with its silver tongue. The move is strong against Monologue-types.

Starlight Facehoof succumbs to the silver tongue and sits patiently on her plot. Octavia uses musical metaphors. They are pleasant, but less effective…

The plot opts for a more direct approach. She points to Octavia's plot. “Why aren’t you here?” it asks.

“Because I like to monologue.” Starlight Facehoof explains.

Octavia sighs and gets her furry plot in motion. Time to get this story on track!

Ambition for Parody: Page 2 of the RP

Spoiler

Starlight pinches Octavia’s flank. “Nice mark. It will look great on my wall.” She glances around the pews of the Plot Temple, imagining it full of furry flanks just like Octavia’s. Flanks Equals Power she thinks to herself. So More Flanks Equals More Power! she grins in anticipation. However, unbeknowst to Starlight, another flank was approaching Plot Temple. One that she would never be able to put on her wall…

While Stalight dreamed of flanktopia, a giant shadow engulfed Plot Temple, which quivered with anticipation at the new arrival. Magnolia, also known simply as ‘The Beast’, furled her 8 wings, quietened the jet-engines between her legs and, with a wave of her mighty eight horned head, ended the invisibility granted to her by her Klingon cloaking device. The Beast came to the temple fresh from her murder of Princess Celestia and she wore the pelt of Nightmare Moon with a Princess Cadance skull helmet. Magnolia only paused to swat away an innocent army of T-rexs, before shrinking herself down to the size of a normal mare in order to fit through the Temple’s narrow entrance. Magnolia had arrived. Plot temple would never be the same again.

Starlight turned her flank to face Magnolia. When she saw the majestic form in the door all thoughts of alicornification left her and her horn fell off. Relieved to have retained her scrumptious behind she offers it as a sacrifice to the Beast: “I have a nice flank, wanna be friends?” she mewls subserviently and rubs her hornless head in the dirt before the Dark Master.

“Death will be the only friend you will ever know meat-puppet, future-glue, prey-horse.” Magnolia replies kindlily. Starlight thanked her flank that the scent of fresh plot had put The Beast a good mood. Starlight managed to withhold an awed gasp at the magnificent posterior that undulated past her into the temple, Nice Flank! she thought, her eyes locked on the vision before her.

As the new mare forced her way roughly inside the outer entrance of Plot Temple, its inner entrance opened to welcome The Beast’s dark effusion. Octavia only barely managed to get out of the way and some of it got on her fur - she wrinkled her snout resignedly and wiped it off on Starlight, who squirmed excitedly as an unknown vigor stirred inside her. After a brief gestation, The Plot God manifested in the doorway and spoke with its silver tongue: “Please forgive us for the delay. We are not so sprightly and our work is taxing.”

The Beast was unamused: "This better not be a trick. Nobody has sent me letters in a very long time, So why would you? So tell me, what is this about? And pray it is not a trick or a trap...I have had ENOUGH of that in my time..."

Starlight managed to tear her eyes off Magnolia’s flank to stare at the image of the God’s egg-butt, which inspired her to butt in: “Hello, sweet-flanks, my name is Starlight Glimmer! I have come here to spread my message of true friendship to ponies across all of Equestria. I believe you two can assist me with that, correct? By helping me, I can help you erase the pain of your past lives and show you the wonderful future you deserve!”

Magnolia revs one of the jet engines with displeasure at the cult-leader’s interruption and Starfoce resumes her vigil of Magnolia’s flank. Starlight points to the unicorn’s purple and black star on her flank. “This is, of course, not to embarrass or to expose, but I did notice strange shadows surrounding you when we first met. It seems you have been overtaken by dark magic, so I want to help you take that away. Please, allow me to show you the light and a better future filled with lots of friendship,”

Magnolia is quick to respond: “My derriere isn't the source of my pain...as a matter of fact it is what I GOT from my pain after all..." Starlight understood what Magnolia meant – a posterior like that could only be achieved with great personal sacrifice, and quinoa.

“If flanks are so important to you” Magnolia continued “...then why don't you give up your own one? It seems...your whole thing is about making yourself feel superior than others..." her voice said ,trailing off slightly. "Justice is what the world needs...not a shim sham of flank-quality...it needs order, respect...authority to take away the bad so nobody suffers...By my name...I am Magnolia."

“Flank-quality is more real than anything you may ever experience!” Starlight cried “Poor tail-ends are what drive us apart! Giving them up will benefit everypony and teach them there is a much more simple way to live. You can see now that your own tail-end is filling you with hatred. If you learn to let go of everything you are holding on to, you will feel at peace,”

The Plot God is so incensed by the two mares talking out of their plot that it bites its Tongue. Luckily there’s some Grail hanging around to heal it. Magnolia turns to look as the God winces – focusing once more on her reason for being here. “There is something missing from me...That is why I am here... To gain something of which I don't have...perhaps? It is beginning to come together..."

Starlight is about to butt in again, but before she can, Magnolia removes her hind quarters, tail and all! She throws them into the air carelessly. Starlight anxiously catches Magnolia's bottom half. “M-Magnolia, you have to get away from the shadows! Don’t you see what they are doing to you? Your furry behind is being consumed by the darkness and you don’t even realize it! Please, let me help you, I can show you the light! Just take my hoof...if you can,”

Magnolia spits: "You talk big game about wanting to destroy differences between others, then when you see something you are unfamiliar with...you get frightened." Magnolia mused. Her voice was more wispy, echoy, without her rear end, but still there (unlike her flanks).

The Plot God sighs with exasperation. If only I hadn’t bitten my Tongue! she scolds herself as the two mares compare plots. Don’t worry… they will soon all love my plot or my name is not Limbo Dreams! See it tremble mortals and despair, for it is Toned.

• 2 weeks later...

Ambition for parody: page 3 of the RP

Also would like to say, I am really enjoying rereading this! Even if I do make it into a silly parody.

Spoiler

“I demand you restore your flanks at once!” Starlight demanded. Magnolia stuck her tongue out in return.

"You Starlight, you are a pathetic pony trapped in your desires.”  

Limbo Dreams, plot divinity, twiddled her hooves in the corner miserably. These two were her first apprentices! She tried resurrecting her other Silver Tongue, but it failed. Well I’ll just have to make do...

*Ahem!* “We are all here because of the inspiration that our newest princess has given us. Through determination and her own actions, she ascended to a height we could only dream of." Miss Dreams, in a rare display of playful mischief, paused for dramatic effect, "Well, that is how we are now at least."

"I am here to tell you that her path is inclusive. Make no mistake, Princess Sparkle's path is just that: a path. It is not a ladder, where vice will drag you down and only one person can stay at the top, nor is it a pit that is only visible to those already next to it. It is a winding, diverging, intersecting path through a maze of conflicting opportunities.”

She presses the remote control on the Temple’s patented plot TV and plays a few excerpts from MLP.

“You see,” Miss Dreams began again, “it was not one episode in particular that set Twilight on her path, it was the show itself. MLP sparked her journey to something beyond what her unicorn horn could give her. The same ambition each and every one of you poses. Those who have not felt it or still have doubts, I invite you to form a line, one by one, step up to the plot-screen and put your flanks upon it. It will ignite the sparkly pink fluffy unicorn within you and the vibrations as the characters speak are also quite exquisite.”

Magnolia went first. Could MLP sate her lust to consume the world and allow her to become a cute pink fwuffy unicorn? She presses her still-disembodied torso against the screen, a *tsk* from Limbo Dreams makes her realise her error, and blushingly she apparates her flanks. Starlight is delighted.

Starlight went second. She was too busy staring at Magnolia’s behind to take much in, but MLP did have a good plot, that’s for sure.

Limbo’s eyes became unnaturally huge as she watched her favourite pony show.

All the ponies fall asleep watching MLP :3

When Magnolia and Starlight woke, the world around them was replaced by a cartoon forest. “Just like in MLP!” Magnolia said and hugged her unicorn friend. Starlight and Magnolia held hooves like besties. However, getting anywhere here would be a very frustrating chore as the trees were too cute to keep any sense of direction. Many of the trees wore cat-faces and had pink or lavender fur. The bright rainbow logos on them were also very distracting.

One could be born here and spend their whole life looking for an exit, only to grow old and pass away on the cute terrain. Despite the breeze, this saccharine biome proved to be as still and quiet as a forgotten secret. The only fauna around were pink moths and bubbly spiders. Limbo mused happily, she was glad to be back.

"Welcome to the wood," Limbo whispered. "Please follow me. We can talk on the way," Here, her pupils were a healthy size. A subtle sign that this was her element.

Magnolia pranced along, pausing to hug some of the trees. Then finally Magnolia spoke, sounding like a chibi. "I presume that you know of us, thus you sent those letters. There is something you see within me." Magnolia said, observantly. Magnolia took Starlight’s hoof she wanted to get to know her friend better and examine what had been hidden, but that would have to wait.

Starlight blinked in the bright daylight of MLP-world. She would act friendly to everypony, no matter how friendly or unfriendly they acted in return. In time, other ponies would see her strong display of friendship and want to emulate it. She informed Magnolia that she was ‘kawaii’ and would have put two fingers up like a Japony school-filly, if she had them.

Limbo Dreams gazed jealously at the two. Nopony had hugged her yet. Was it the horns? Being hugged by a cute tree just wasn’t the same, but it would do for now. She gave the clingy cartoon sycamore that was hugging her a pat, receiving a mew and purr in return - dang MLP-world was just so friggin cute :3

Limbo tried to lick the fluffy lilac tree with her silver tongue, but realised she must have left it behind. This time I want the cat to have my tongue but I don’t have it! The irony!

Limbo was startled out her oh so witty reverie when Magnolia hugged her and then rolled over for a belly rub. “This is a world of struggle and Equality is just a shim sham of what it really is, a chorus of raging minds that will never be silenced." Magnolia said, but the effect was spoiled by her winking and holding up her hoof like a doggy.

Starlight bounds up and tweaks Magnolia’s tail and the two fillies take off shrieking and chasing each other laughing freely.

Once Starlight returned she hugged Limbo too, I consider you my friend and I want what is best for you. I know that, deep down, there are some differences of yours that make you unhappy. I want to lift that burden from you and offer the purest friendship there is,” she preached. Limbo petted her.

Before long the group had arrived at plot-rock. All around the rock the cute withered. Limbo set out the plot: "You both assume things will stay the same if you don't do anything about it. You are mistaken. There are forces in this very wood that will undo whatever you have worked to build. I dreamed of moths swarming ponies and leaving nothing but bone behind; ponies attacking each other for looking at them wrong; entire countries, frozen in time; lions the size of cities; the sun split in two. Both of you are here because terrible things are coming. They go beyond our differences. Starlight, you can bring ponies together and fight what can't be conquered. Magnolia, you are the key to extinguishing those too cruel to reason. Follow me, save Equestria, and we will all live to become cute fwuffy pink unicorns IRL! "

Limbo then breathed deeply, bringing herself down from the most passionate she had been in years before finishing. "If you don't believe me, even in this improbable place, then step through this way, and you will see for yourself," Limbo whispered as she began to knock the mineral deposits from between the rocky glutes of plot rock.

As Magnolia and Starlight entered plot rock, the cute fell off them. Magnolia’s edge returned and so did Starlight’s flank obsession. “All flanks must be equal.” Starlight declared, happy to be back to her old self. “I hate Starlight and like eating kittens.” Magnolia declared, also happy to be back to her toxic self.

Limbo felt heartened as the two followed her in. She had sent hundreds of letters about MLP to ponies around equestria and had only received obscene junk-mail before these two.

"Ascension is not as simple as a state of mind. That is only half of what is needed. Ambition fuels you, but the path must be walked. Effort must be used. Sacrifices must be made. Barriers must be removed." 

Limbo then gave a moment's thought before deciding to get more personal, "I envy the both of you," She admitted with the same gentle smile she held throughout the exposition, "For every three steps you take, I must take five. If one of you fails, the other can succeed, but if either of you fails, so will I. Even though I have the best understanding of Ascension, I will be the last, and least likely to do so." She hesitates and adds gravely, “Because I have horns like a frat-boy at a baseball game poking out of my head.” She didn’t need to add that pink fwuffy unicorns do not have frat-boy horns.

"Now," Limbo grunts as she continues to hammer fruitlessly at the mineral deposits with her hooves, "Can you two both stop being so flank-obsessed and toxic and can I get some help with this carving? It’s that time of the Moth."

As they dug, Limbo continued her teachings. "Fate rewards you for doing what you ought to do anyway," Limbo summarized before speaking to the both of them, "That's what the Twilight believes anyway. I, for one, have no such delusions. I must apologize. You see, I lied when I said that Twilight had ascended. That's the official story, but I don't believe it for a moment. She may have wings, but can you look at her, and then at Princess Miamore Cadenza, and honestly tell me they are on the same level? Many have made the mistake of attributing that to Twilight being a subtle shade of pink-purple, but I know better. Cadenza is the only true pink fwuffy unicorn and she even has a cute heart on her flank – she is the only one who has truly ascended to MLP-hood. When we get back to the temple you must have a look at my art of her – I ship her with my OC."

However, her disciples are not listening. Limbo sighs as Starlight objects that the princesses flanks are all equal, and that black flanks are the equalest of all. Starlight's eyes are glued to Magnolia's sleek posterior. Limbo is equally unimpressed when Magnolia boasts that she ate Twilight for breakfast, along with her castle. “Pink fwuffy unicorns do not eat castles!” she chides. But it was no use, the two disciples had already stopped digging their way into plot rock and had become distracted by their mutual character traits. Limbo raises her eyes to the heavens and recites a prayer:

Oh MLP hear my prayer,

Make the world one where everypony is pink a cute,

With cute fwuffy fur, and sparkles to boot,

And problems lie far far away,

And also I would like my little pony today,

Lead us always away from cheap clay-motion knock offs,

And back to fully realised furry characters on Netflix

Amen

The prayer gives her the strength to silence the bickering disciples. "I believe you've made your point," Limbo announced coldly to Magnolia, "Several times, I might add. That goes for you too, Starlight."

Limbo had had enough. Starlight undermines her message. Magnolia undermines Starlight, despite the growing calamities just outside our vision. And to top it off, Magnolia turns out to have Lantern and Starlight turns out to have Heart. Getting these two to agree on anything will be like herding cats! Limbo had expected as much for some time, but she hoped fate would surprise her with some Grail.

Limbo muses about how to corrall them. If I can’t get them to shut up then what about ten billion plot-moths? They can be quite persuasive en masse. 

“Hey is that herd of moths pointing at plot-rock?” Magnolia and Starforce chime in unison, as a giant cloud of moths form an arrow in the sky – its humming tip inches from the plot’s opening.

“Lemme fight it.” Magnolia says.

“Lemme at Starlight’s flank.” Starlight says.

Limbo looks crestfallen. Perhaps something even more powerful than a countless cloud of plot-moths is needed. But what? If I hear any more about Magnolia’s flanks I shall scream!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Loud Opinion said:

@ExplosionMare

What I've posted hasn't been addressed. I can have something else happen, but I want to give you a chance to respond to what I've put in front of Starlight.

I didn’t forget, school has just been taking away too much of my time. I’ll respond as soon as I can

• Brohoof 2

@Imperium

Welcome.

The effort you put into your character is remarkable. I want to keep that in mind. I do have some reservations, but that shouldn't distract from what you've managed so far.

Now, this RP has a unique tone, and there are some tonal clashes with Calamitous.

Power: the story thus far follows Starlight, Magnolia, and Fuchsia. They are all more capable than the average pony, but only slightly. If any one of them were outnumbered, they would be in danger. Calamitous being a dragon already puts him over that threshold. My first instinct is to say the lightning that struck his egg did give him magic, but also stunted his physical growth.

Morality: I noticed that he went out of his way to save some ponies from a timber wolf attack, and befriends a unicorn latter. This puts him a little too close to 'good guy' territory. This isn't an issue as a starting point. The characters here though, have some quality that would make them evil from the right perspective. Starlight Glimmer needs no explanation, Magnolia carries herself in a very domineering fashion and is quick to condemn others, Silver Tongue is an expert in hexs and curses, and Fuchsia steals artifacts from sacred grounds.

Him being a weird dragon makes it understandable for people in the world to be suspicious of him, but it's not a reason to make the reader suspicious of him.

The moral element is dependent on how you play your character, but the power will need to be adjusted. You don't have to alter your character sheet, just explain here or in my DM's what changes you'll commit to.

Edited by Loud Opinion
changed "Most characters..." to "The characters here though..."
  • Brohoof 1