Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching [OOC] Ambition for Ascension

Loud Opinion

Moments ago, Loud Opinion said:

@Starforce Glimmer

I suppose I should have seen this coming. Not going to lie, I'm not as excited about this setting as when I started. The magic system's ambiguity is starting to catch up with me.

Then we can find a way to fix this magic system. I found it rather hard to understand and I sometimes have to keep it in mind during my posts, and I find it hard to come up with ideas for my posts. I am not sure where to continue honestly. So we are going to have to talk about this. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

@Starforce Glimmer

Although, the next in-game day should have a lot for Magnolia to work with. A special pony is coming to town.

Interesting, I look forward to that. I had something really bad just happen just now and I hope that isn't soiling my mood. I suppose I'll make a post describing her awakening and looking about the room, and heading outside? You said Limbo has something to do with dreams, should that influence my post? 

Edited by Starforce Glimmer

1 minute ago, Loud Opinion said:

@Starforce Glimmer

Sorry to hear that.

And ya, this magic system needs an overhaul.

I'm thinking your magic system here was created to limit the characters abilities in a way that you could make sense of them and it didn't really work out the way it intended. We can silently remove the 'system' itself, and just use the "Lantern" "Winter" "Forge" etc being titles for the way Limbo/ Silver Tongue wanted to sort of...refer to the characters as? If that makes sense? I don't really know if that makes any sense, hard to put that into text.

And as for what happened, left a server I felt a rising hatred for, feels good to get that off my chest. So for Limbo, does she have influence over dreams, or is she just an observer? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Starforce Glimmer

No dream shenanigans this night. I'd like to get to the next day as swiftly as possible.

First we should make sure we're on the same page with the magic system. Necromancy is magic concerning the dead Necro-: Concerning the dead and -mancy: a specialized magic. When you see a name like hydromancy you separate it into two parts: hydro-: water -mancy: specialized magic. That's for general magic. The study of magic has the prefix '-ology'. So, Hexology is Hex: Curse magic -ology: the study/profession.

The aspects are attuned to a person. A person can only be attuned to a single aspect at a time. In order to use an aspect that you aren't attuned to, you need to use an item that is (like a flesh-tambourine for Heart). The point of aspects is to have a lucky trump card. The character taps into an aspect if they think it will help them. If their right, they'll perform that task better than any normal magic could. For example: if Magnolia wanted to see in a dark cave, she would call upon the Watchman or try to look beneath her skin. Her aspect is Lantern, so she would get night vision and her gaze would incinerate liars for a few minuets.

I'll admit, I missed a huge opportunity to give your characters phrases they can use to experiment with the books they read. Magnolia put all her focus into the book she read so I'll edit my post to include a little more knowledge your character can use when she wakes up.

Now, lastly, their is a strength to a characters attunement which goes up as the character understands more about their aspect. This is what dictates their power to summon. That won't come until later though, so don't worry about having a weak attunement now. Just experiment.

Now that I've made the system less cryptic, is their anything about the system that could use improvement?

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion

You have a way with timing, you know? I just logged on and I see you post as I was logging in. You have some sort of supernatural sense, it seems. :please:

I think I understand the system there better however, it has not come up yet at least in the terms of the characters themselves learning of it. I don't think at this point Magnolia, Fuchsia or Starlight know of the magic system they will be learning, correct? 

@Starforce Glimmer

Magnolia should know by tomorrow. I edited the post detailing what Magnolia read in her book. Let me know if that helps Magnolia experiment. Starlight read three books. So, I interpreted that as her skimming through them, so she wouldn't have spotted those phrases. Fuchsia could go the whole game without tapping into her aspect. She has the law on her side, after all.

As for the terminology. Let's say it's a very old way of labeling magic that fell out of use some time ago. I'll leave it up to you as to whether Magnolia knows it or not.

• Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion

Alright, that would help her experiment. I suppose I'll have Magnolia wake up and experiment here, but I'll say she doesn't know what the old magic itself means but she'll try something with that anecdote that was written. 

• Brohoof 1

@Starforce Glimmer

Sorry to hear about the bad server but I’m glad you got out of it

@Loud Opinion

For me the only confusing thing is how far apart the posts are and how that makes it easier to forget the earlier parts of the story. Now, I’m not saying you should start posting every day (please don’t, I wouldn’t be able to keep up), but would a post once every week or two be plausible? That, or we could all compile a list of plot points so the story can be moved along with everyone on the same page. Those are just some possible ideas.

• Brohoof 1

@ExplosionMare @Loud Opinion

Loud Opinion and I came up with a plan that Magnolia will have a segment where she goes about the town on her own for a bit as to not involve Limbo or Silver Tongue as that would involve Fuchsia's ar. And about that server, it's alright. Bad things happen but I get over them. :coco:

@ExplosionMare

You're absolutely right. It's not fair to keep everyone waiting so long for so often. I've tried to make my posts more frequent but, in case that never comes to pass, I can at least make this RP easier to come back to with a timeline. As the GM, it can be hard for me to get in the mind of the player, so I never considered memory as a potential issue. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and giving a helpful suggestion.

I'll be doing that tomorrow seance it is very late for me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Alright. Their's a time-line at the bottom of the OP. Let me know if the time-line needs more or less detail.

I'll get to posting soon.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion

The timeline looks good to me. You can add in more detail if you wish, like how Magnolia and Starlight have opposing ideologies. The part with the two Silver Tongues never ceases to bring a smile to my face though. :eager: