Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo should just make a powerful console.

CastletonSnob

Why do we give Nintendo a pass for not making a powerful console like Sony and Microsoft? Why do we let them be different for the sake of being different? A triangular wheel is different, but that doesn't make it useful.

If Nintendo wants to get third party support, they need to make a powerful console. It's as simple as that.

Being different allows you to incorporate new ideas and to find a larger audience. Not only that, but that audience can also deviate from gamers who use different consoles. Sure, it doesn't always work, but Nintendo have seemed to be mostly successful with their different approaches. As for third party support, from what I've seen, they've been doing alright with that recently. They did struggle during the lifecycle of the Wii U, but there has definitely been an improvement since then.

• Brohoof 6

Because it isn't all about the power of the console, and that line of thought is frankly not really conducive to a proper discussion about consoles. :dry:

The big thing is that Nintendo has actual exclusives (and they're mostly... GOOD), and also the other consoles at least in my opinion, are way outclassed by PC in almost every aspect.

Edited by Aangel Dust
  • Brohoof 3

Nintendo's fine doing their own thing. If the Switch has proved anything it's that they just need good games, and even if the hardware is weaker, 3rd party games will sell as long as effort is put into their games

• Brohoof 2

More of a Sony guy, and I can say that power is not everything when it comes to a console. People aren't attracted to the Switch because they're looking for a powerful console, they like it because it's unique and makes gaming more accessible to them, being able to play whatever they get for the console on the go. 

• Brohoof 2

I do think Nintendo will have to make a more powerful Switch if they want to continue getting ports of games for the next generation of consoles. 

Edited by joanro

Like I have said many times, number and quality of games is what really matters. While I do think Switch could use more third party support, it’s an improvement over the WIIs. Not to mention, their own exclusives have delivered BIG

I kind of like where they do something different, as long as the games are good and creative it doesn't really matter so much about having the most power or best graphics.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud
  • Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Why do we give Nintendo a pass for not making a powerful console like Sony and Microsoft? Why do we let them be different for the sake of being different? A triangular wheel is different, but that doesn't make it useful.

If Nintendo wants to get third party support, they need to make a powerful console. It's as simple as that.

Are you blind? They have third party support!!! And a Switch Pro is probably happening around or before the 9th gen consoles to compete!

• Brohoof 2

So basically “Git gud.”

How advanced the console is doesn’t matter so much as the quality of the games released on it. If that were the case then I would never go back to my N64 or my GameCube games, would I?  Nintendo feels like the only company that doesn’t treat its fans like ATM machines. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:42 PM, SharpWit said:

True, but I don't need one from a monster truck for my bike to work just fine.

Well said.

• Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...

Power is not the issue here, it's Nintendo politic. Nintendo is more about family friendly little arcade games, which is a pretty niche thing. Of course now there's Doom, Witcher 3 and more... but come on, I rather wouldn't play a game then play it with potato graphics. Also Mario games are not worldwide popular

Plus, according to my country, Nintendo is pretty overpriced. Here a console AAA game (60$) considered as overpriced, while a game for Switch costs twice more!

• Brohoof 1

If they did it wouldn't do as well, they're incredibly successful because they don't compete with Sony/Microsoft/PC Gaming. Instead of sharing the same market they have their own seperate one, and it's working. Their whole strength is in their first party games and their consoles being different. I wouldn't buy the PS5/Whatever Microsoft thing is next because I already own a gaming pc, but I bought a switch because I can't play Nintendo games elsewhere, and the portability factor is nice.

• Brohoof 1

It would be a total waste on money for Nintendo. The diehard nintendo fans are not into specs but rather on getting their nintendo exclusives. They buy nintendo because they like mario, zelda, metroid and more recently animal crossing. And of course, they buy nintendo for pokemon. Give them another mario kart, any zelda title and another of their minor and ignored franchises a game and you'll have them buying the console and updating to lites and xl versions of the same later on.

They don't need a powerful console, just one that can sell expensive periferics and "innovative" controllers.

• Brohoof 1