Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Is There Anything In Life Worth Living For?

EpicEnergy

I agree that life is essentially pointless by default. But it’s not a bad thing, because you can decide what’s the meaning of life for yourself and set some goals that will be enjoyable to achieve. Even if the results will fade away, you might enjoy the process.
Also, endorphins. Just find some things that make you happy - they are different for different people. Life definitely offers a range of pleasures worth living for.

• Brohoof 8

The aimlessness is why I kind of obsess over preserving my image/memory for when I'm gone. If I can't achieve immortality in life, then I shall do so by another means. A few people have done well enough. Julius Caesar, Jesus Christ, Adolf Hitler. Not all are good examples to follow but they've successfully done it I think even if it might not have been their goals.

Also, take joy in the little things, like the intricacies of a random pebble.

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 2

Its true that we will die some day, but that makes life even more special, if you can have a good time and laugh or have a lot of other likable feelings then its totally worth it.

The important part is the travel, not the destination.

• Brohoof 5

"the meaning of life is to just be alive. it is so plain and so obvious and so simple. and yes, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves." - allan watts

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, EpicEnergy said:

I've been thinking about life recently, and I can't find anything in life worth living for. It all seems pointless, as everything will eventually fade away at one point or another.

Must one live "for" something? And even if one must, why need it be something permanent?

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

I've been thinking about life recently, and I can't find anything in life worth living for. It all seems pointless, as everything will eventually fade away at one point or another.

I can understand where you are coming from.

If you cant find something for yourself that makes your life worth Living, you can still Focus to help someone else and make that your Goal. Support your favorite Artists for example, stay true to a Franchise, help People in Need, so even if you dont find something in life that you enjoy or find that important ( which is kinda the case with myself ) you can still live for someone else.

Unless you think thats pointless as well, than i got Nothing. But the Point is we are all forced to be here, so might as well use that life we already have to help/support someone else and at the very least make their lifes better. It might be pointless as well but at least we can make sure that someone else has it good.

At least that is what keeps me going.

• Brohoof 6

I've felt the same way for a while now, so I can definitely understand this mindset. You just have to keep going, even if things seem bleak. If you do, you might find something that you will consider worth living for. It's tough, I get that, but if you give up, you might miss out on something that could truly be worth it.

• Brohoof 2

Whatever I see and experience is worth it by itself.

I believe in God, a plan, and an afterlife, but even if I didn’t, my existence would still be an utterly unique one in it’s minute details, and it cannot be perfectly replicated in any way.

So I’m going to enjoy this little chunk of time and experience I’ve been given as much as possible.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 4

Life is pointless. But I've never seen that as a bad thing. You just gotta make your own meaning in life.

As for me, I'm just looking for the happiness I lost a long time ago. When I get it back, it's onto the next adventure~

• Brohoof 4

I have lived for a current total of 42 revolutions around the sun on the dirtball, and I have asked this particular question many, many, MANY times to myself.

There have been dark times.  There has been the slog of existing day-to-day, the pain of heartbreak and hopelessness, and the shame of all my personal sins that I've had to endure.  There have been beatings, betrayals and other little pains that add up as time marches inexorably forward.  There have been moments clouded with angry and lonely thoughts.  And on multiple occasions, I have even contemplated rushing my journey into the void.

But... in the interest of being fair, I also have to contemplate the other side, as well.

There has been great joy in my life.  There have been celebrations that not only would have been sorely missed if I didn't attend, but even one or two that I helped to make better.  There has been applause, wonderful moments I wouldn't trade for the world, and times of quiet harmony that the world shared with me.  There have been loyal friends, kind strangers and even the occasional single meetings that proved to be for the best, both for them and myself.  On rare occasion, there has even been a moment or two of pure happiness.

In all, the entirety of one's existence is ultimately what one experiences... and what one feels of them.

See, anyone could look at my life and say 'boy, that poor bastard is suffering something fiercely,' while others could look at the same life and say, 'wow, what a great time he's having!'  Essentially, both would be right AND wrong, because Life is not made up of black and white experiences; I've found it to consist of everything one goes through, good or ill, and is a mishmashed conglomerate of the results.

Another way to put it would be that Life isn't worth NOT living.  What would it be like to have never existed?  Well, that's a simple answer - NOTHING.  Because not existing means never having to even think... of anything, ever.

To me, Life isn't anything that people who are in their 20's, their 40's, their 80's or even beyond truly could ever accurately define, except maybe in a scientific manner.  The metaphysical part, the fun part, the hard part is so very different for each single human being that it would be somewhat silly to try to put it into direct definition or terminology.  Not that it keeps folks from trying, but they have their points as well, I suppose.

To answer your original question, I think there is.  I can't claim to know or define it, because all I know is what's worth it for myself; what YOU might find worthwhile isn't exactly always going to agree with MY view, and vice-versa.  But I would much rather exist than not exist, and the reason I feel that way is because Life is so random.  Which means that, even if all good things must come to an end someday, it also means that nothing is forever - including pain and misery.

SEEK what gives you happiness and fun, because it's out there somewhere... or maybe it's closer than you think.  It's hard not to fall into that pit of existential despair, but the best rope you'll ever have to climb out with is the assurance that whatever you experience in Life is YOURS, completely and totally, and that because of that fact, you can change it as you please.  You know that whole 'when you stare into the void, the void stares back' thing?

Just keep reminding yourself that, if you choose, you don't have to stare at it in the first place.  Look to the horizon instead; it yields more colors and reminds us that, even as we all whirl through the cosmos on a huge ball of dirt, we get to decide for ourselves what's worth living for.

• Brohoof 3

there are many things, different for each one of us so there isn't really a list, but the fun part is we never know what the next thing will be, life has too many plot twists, and not all of them bad, discovering which ones matter to us is in itself something that makes it all worth it

• Brohoof 1

Life is not pointless. We can potentially live many years and make it a fantastic time! Everything vanishes eventually, that's true. Imagine a supernova right now. No one would even remember the big douchebags from the history books, there wouldn't be anything left. No one is left to remember. Just accept that everything vanishes eventually and just enjoy the given time. That's what I believe in at least. Make the best of all the knowledge you gained and have access to.

The next difficult part comes after you realize things. To find something that makes you truly happy. I'm afraid everypony has to find it on his own. It's everypony's personal quest. You began to ask yourself the right questions. It means you are free now, that's great! :) It's up to you what you do from now on.

@Splashee I agree! Music is one of the best things. :wub:

The way I see it it's whatever you make of it.

I will say though that if you are thinking about suicide, I can tell you it's generally better for everyone if you don't, even if times are hard and there's little hope to come by. There's probably more people than people would think that would be affected if they committed suicide. Also not living gives you no chance to experience things like love, or find anything later on you may enjoy in life. So just don't do it.

• Brohoof 1