Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Elements of Roleplay

Randimaxis

Did you know, fellow Ponyites, that the Elements of Harmony work beautifully as rules to roleplay by?

If you fine folks will allow me a chance to explain, I'll be happy to demonstrate exactly what I mean here.  Many roleplayers already follow a few of these particular tenets, and many others will hopefully be able to get the picture as explanations go along.  I don't always make sense, sure... but taken in the whole of context, it might make at least some of it stick with you in the long run, so to speak.

And so...

GENEROSITY

I see it all the time; RPers who want to have the spotlight on them as often as possible.  From ninja'ing posts to just ramble-on walls o' text, it becomes more like trying to exist in the same world as the character, rather than a peaceful co-existence.  However, there is a time when being generous can make a world of difference.  By that, I mean things like letting other characters have a chance to interact without you, or allowing others to be the ones who strike the final blow at the Bad Guy.

Remember, kiddos: it's not all about you.  A good roleplay is about ALL the folks involved, and it would certainly speak well for you as a player if you just step back, take a breath, and let the other folks have their time in the spotlight too.

P1: Snow Blind takes a flying leap at the hydra, and gives it a hard buck to the base of those multiple necks!
P2: Whisker Twister's casting!  He's got his spell prepared, and he's ready to shine!

[P1 looks at the scene for a minute, his character well in place to finish the hydra...]

{P1: Alright, Twister - you've got this; take 'im out.}
{P2: For reals?  Are you sure?}
{P1: Eeyup - send that thing straight to Tartarus!}
{P2AWESOME!  Thanks!}

P2: Whisker unleashes his spell, and blasts the poor thing into unconsciousness!

[P1 smiles.]

P1: Atta-colt, Twister!

KINDNESS

Arguments happen.  Characters step on each other's toes.  The OOC Page is full of obscenities and mean-spirited ridicule.  How many times have you seen this happen?  Me?  Plenty... at least, until a kind word or compliment is interjected.  Then the anger can become silent, the mocking laughter awkward, and the desire to HATE each other gets a bit less.

Keep in mind that everyone has stress and tension in their real lives; there are plenty of folks who roleplay just to relieve stress, or they want to make a connection that feels more natural and less like a strain.  Be someone who compliments others and encourages their fellow roleplayers to strive for more.  A little encouragement can go a long way toward making things better, sometimes.

{P2: But I said Fallen Star was going to get the staff!}

{P1: Fallen Star isn't worthy of handling it!  Let Bighorn have it!}

{P2: Bighorn is a little butthead!}

{P1: So is Fallen DARRRRR...}

{P3: Hey... there's no need for all this.  Fallen Star and Bighorn are friends, right?  Can you imagine what they could accomplish together?}

{...}

{...}

{P3: Teamed up and using the staff between them, they might be able to take down that entire horde single-hoofedly!}

{...}

{...}

P1: Bighorn looks at Star and smiles.  "Here, you grab this end, and I've got the other - let's give 'em what for!"
P2: Fallen Star smiles back as thy both begin to charge up.  "Got it; you take the hundred on the left, and I've got the hundred on the right!"

[P3 smiles.]

LOYALTY

Or as it's called in the American Southern states, 'stick-to-it-ive-ness'.

If you agree to be a part of a roleplay, then BE a part of that roleplay.  Post each day, or at least when it's your turn.  Keep up with the storyline, so you don't have to be reminded.  Chat with the other players about how to make things better.  Heck, even just drawing a picture of the characters is a way to show your pride in having a role to play in this story.  Even if all you do is ask 'are we roleplaying today?', you're showing dedication to the story, and that's absolutely what being loyal to the roleplay is about.

Things may come up that can prevent you from continuing - then be the one who gives a week or two notice, or write your character out, instead of just 'vanishing in mid-plot'.  Plus, just because you may not be able to continue, it doesn't mean you can't contribute even a quick post on the OOC about how good it seems to be going, or how much you miss it.

P3: Yo, when are we starting today?
P1: We went for seven hours yesterday, dude!
P2: Don't you, like, sleep?
P3: Sorry, sorry... I was just hyped because I did a banner for the OP - check it out!

[Obviously carefully crafted banner posted to OOC thread.]

P2: Oh, WOW!  That's WICKED cool!
P1: And... you did that just now?
P3: No, last night, while we were roleplaying; I finished it this morning!  I mean, it's okay if you don't wanna play today, but-
P2: Dude, that thing is INSPIRING!
P3: Thanks!
P1: Right, so give me a few hours to sleep, and it's game on.  That thing is sweet!
P3:  \ *u* /

HONESTY

It's the best policy, of course.  But more than that, it breeds trust, which can go a long way towards helping characters (and players) interact with each other more fluidly and effectively.  If your character doesn't have a certain object or thing the group needs, DO NOT just 'manufacture' it out of thin air; instead, stick with what you have, and roleplay out the problem that it may cause.  You might find it to be more fun in the long run trying to work around the missing thing.

Would your character say something mean to their bestie, because that's how they are?  Then stick with that, and don't waffle.  As my dear mother used to tell me all the time, 'be honest with yourself FIRST'; if you know you can or can't do a thing, stand by that.  Other players might end up trusting your judgement more, and following your lead a bit better.

P2: Hey, doesn't Wind Shear have goggles?  He should be able to see just fine as long as he has goggles.
P1: Ummmm...

[Doesn't have goggles normally, and hasn't written that he has any now.]

P1: ...nope.
P3:  Whaaaaat?  You sure?
P1:  Yeah, no goggles... so that means he's getting bug guts in his eyes when he dives!
P2: EwwwwHahahaha!
P3: Hope you brought some soap, at least!  Ha ha ha!

[P1 smiles.]

P1: NOPE!  Bug guts all in my eyes, and my eye boogers have feelers, wings and legs!
P2 & P3: EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

LAUGHTER

For cryin' out loud, don't be afraid to laugh at yourself!

It's okay for a character to fail at something, and it's fine if an obstacle is more than you can surmount - just have a laugh at your character's expense, if need be.  Or, if you find yourself taking things too seriously, then perhaps step back and find the funny in your predicament.  Remember, this is supposed to be for fun; it's not a competition, and it really says a lot about someone who can laugh when the chips are down.

You don't have to take things completely seriously; some of the best fics I've ever read have had the main character suffer mishaps and issues - and they were hilarious.  And it made the character more relatable, more endearing to me as well.  So maybe chuckle a bit at the stuff that makes you mad, and perhaps you'll find it hasn't got the hold on you that you'd think.

P3: The spell wraps itself around their heads. "Let's see what's in your mind, shall we?"

{P2: She reads minds - CRAP!}

P2: Canter Clockwise has plans for a new type of armor that reflects magic.  The diagrams are there, all Psycho Mare-tis has to do is copy them down, and they're hers... dammit.
P3:  "Ha haaaa!  Score one for the bad girl!  And what about you, Proud Hope?"
P1: He's, umm...
P3: Anything juicySpitefulEmbarrassing?
P1: He's thinking about the time when he was a colt, and he farted loud enough to kicked out of the school library.
P3: ...
P2: ...

[P2 & P3: HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!]

{P3: Okay, that was FUNNY!}
{P2: I did NOT expect that from Proud!  Good one!}

FRIENDSHIP

It's magic for a reason.  Folks you roleplay with aren't just disembodied fingers and brains behind a keyboard; they're real people, and they can actually make some really good friends, especially if you do your best to be a good roleplayer with them.  If all of you are here to have fun, then share the mutual respect, and perhaps even make small talk in PMs, if you like... sometimes, even characters make friends, and players follow suit.

Some of the closest friends I've ever had in my entire life came from roleplaying, and even if some of them didn't stay in touch, the memories they helped forge were wonderful and act as beacons of light when darkness falls, in or out of game.  Don't be afraid to make friends in and out of the story, as such can make your roleplay more fun for everyone, yourself included.

{P2: Okay folks, that's good enough for today.}
{P3: Same time tomorrow, folks?}
{P1: You bet!  I LOVE this roleplay!}
{P2: Cool... PM me if you have some ideas!}
{P3:  Got some right now, man!}
{P1: Hey, mind if I join in?}
{P2: Go for it!  The more, the merrier!}
{P1: Noice.}

Try to fit these ideas into your current roleplay skillset, and you may discover the harmony they bring to your roleplay as a whole.  BE the example; others may follow suit when they see a thing is working out well, and they'll be glad you're along for the ride.

Excelsior, fellow Ponyites!

• Brohoof 5

Nice introduction/overview Randimaxis, now for the real gritty part.. the Disharmony part :umad:

Don't ruin the fun for everyone. 

The laugher part is what I found fun when it come to RP, allowing players to making a fool out of your’s or themselves or the event itself. Don’t take things too seriously. Also honesty is another big one for me, since if anyone wish to speak out that they feel is bothering them, share and I’m sure the team will figure things out. 

• Brohoof 1

9f8.png.514af20058189ac444cd1eeefa9aa15b.png

You're practically tying all of DMs appendages. I have reconnoitered the terrain and we have the same problem as other competitive games: feast is skewered towards a very small number of creature and player types while everyone else routinely experiences famine.

Say you have the usual: a peppy player with a do-not-steal unicorn that is inexplicably an aquamancer. The DM would go: a witless fool claiming dominion over world's liquefied flesh yet is able to produce only the usual fare of ethereal sparks. The depths do not answer to those who stare into the sky.

Or you have the other rare do-not-steal type with horn and blades. The DM could say: cold steel and warm light, a futile combination fitting for those whose empty mind is comparable to their empty pool of mana drained by pride and ignorance.

And then there are changeling users who want to have every creature's cake and eat it too. DM could declare that their abilities, weight, strength, and intelligence remain the same while evasion and agility go up or down depending on the body type.

People who want to run dungeons would let loose a silent sigh of relief while 99% who think they want to run dungeons would spaz like bipolar patients on crack cocaine, abandon thread, and go complain on Discord like a bunch of old hags. This is all basic balancing fare but someone has to play Thanos and be the bad guy who slams their appendages onto the table saying: "This is bullshit. Denied!" We don't have this sort of culture here on Poniverse and we never will. You'll never be able to run dungeons cause everyone, and yes I am generalizing here, expects Ask a Pony: Free for All Edition. If you need months to sort things out as a collective within a RP, but most still don't want a standard RP, then I don't see why you should bother. Keep the purgatory. It is the format they chose. Also, we've witnessed promises that are clearly too time-intensive and complicated for a forum staffer. You're not C&C game modders, just ordinary people with a life, and that's fine. So let's take a step back before the next bout of big news announcements and ask forumgoers if the majority don't already have everything they want. I can RP with myself just fine under the current arrangement.