Bas

General Media Introduce your favorite old or unpopular games!

(edited)

The idea is basically to find some hidden gems to actually try out or just see what other people find interesting and why. :ooh:

Or just reply and chat about it if you got any questions or played it yourself. :)

Guess I'll just start! :laugh:

Microsoft Freelancer

Genre: Space Sim/Space Opera/Space Shooter

Features: Open world, interacting allied and hostile factions, vivid universe, storyline & multiplayer

Year: Around 2003

Screenshots:

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

775551.jpg

Moms be like: "You surely can pause this game!" :crackle:

de53c74e0a3361c57af04751065fc5d6.jpg

Trivia:

- In case you have heard of Star Citizen, this dude Chris Roberts was involved in developing both this and it's prequel, Starlancer.

- MP servers are still up, but you'll need some small patch for it or alter your desktop link to the game (hit me up if you got questions regarding this)

I have wasted played this game 6000 hours, according to my old xfire profile. :blink:

Edited by Bas

I give you Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for PS1

Legacy-of-Kain-Soul-Reaver-20-01.jpg?res

You wanted real vampires and a compelling story and dialogues? This and all the saga of Legacy of Kain is for you

• Brohoof 1
  • Smile 1

Badges

(edited)

Ah yeah I got that, even just a few years ago, TBH! :laugh:

It features puzzles and forces you to not brute-force to defeat some enemies. :)

I am actually on a hiatus and it isn't always clear what to do or where to go next - But it features one of the coolest game intros for sure! It also comes with some spooky game mechanics! :BornAgainBrony:

Didn't play any other games of the series though.

Also, Blood Omen is related to this game, you basically play as the archenemy.

Edited by Bas

(edited)
42 minutes ago, Bas said:

Ah yeah I got that, even just a few years ago, TBH! :laugh:

It features puzzles and forces you to not brute-force to defeat some enemies. :)

I am actually on a hiatus and it isn't always clear what to do or where to go next - But it features one of the coolest game intros for sure! It also comes with some spooky game mechanics! :BornAgainBrony:

Didn't play any other games of the series though.

Also, Blood Omen is related to this game, you basically play as the archenemy.

Tell me something I don't know XD

Edited by Sherem
  • Laugh 1
  • Pondering 1

Badges

MechWarrior 2 is a lot of fun. It was the first game series I fell in love with. It takes the really cool designs from traditional mecha and the raw power of tanks and slaps them into one machine, and I don't think there's ever been a more beautiful combination. The lore is incredibly deep, and the mission music is really good, too.

MechWarrior 2 was released in 1996, and the graphics are pretty decent for the time period. It's more of a simulator than a game, but it still feels fun. There was an expansion pack (Ghost Bear's Legacy), as well as an additional game called MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries that let you play as a merc in the Inner Sphere, taking contracts and having to manage funds and repair your damaged war machines.

Spoiler

11.jpg.5d6e587f31f331c1eee388da50253d37.jpg

mw2formation-625x468.png.e01046a990bcc07716b4786fa5a59f40.png

stand_1.thumb.jpg.0cbb6619d29ff2aa7924d1e471648d7b.jpg

I will happily put over my favorite RPG of all time, Lunar: Silver Star Story. A lost JRPG gem and an even more lost but just as good sequel. It's never too late for these games I say. I can't go into much without plot spoilers but it's an incredible story to into, especially blind

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

Badges

I introduce to you one of the best RPGs of all time, with an almost literally PERFECT progression system (they needed to work out a few kinks)… Along with what I thought were a decently memorable cast of characters. Contact for the Nintendo DS.

Contact_boxart.jpg

It unfortunately didn't get the reviews it deserved, and didn't really translate well to the states. Maybe the skill system that leveled up attributes after use was too cerebral. Maybe the story being a bit short was too much of an issue (which it honestly bothered me quite little, as the post game held my attention OK).

Screenshots:

0615b.jpg.3ac42e51ef9b01c6fdec928a41e63620.jpg

46686-Contact_(U)(Psyfer)-2.jpg.0411a4210f05692c01fcf0d3715feb09.jpg

(edited)

Disclaimer : all of these statements below are purely my opinion, some might be exaggerated.

Disclaimer 2 : this is not sponsored by the developer

Are you tired of realistic modern day games graphics?

Are you unable to play L4D just cus your laptop is just too suck to run it?

Do you want to play a game that is F2P and not P2W?

Fear not

Reason 2 Die : Awakening might be a good game to try

R2DAChristmas.gif.96aa7a43e4056091ec8cafa4dd15dff9.gif

Made by a Swedish game developer  PlaceRebuilder, situated on Roblox

R2DA is a zombie game based on Left 4 Dead, it features a lot of maps, zombies, weapons, and gamemodes to play with.

Gameplay wise, it isn't as balanced as most games out there. And the logic (PR logic) can sometimes be really annoying. Combined with Roblox' sometimes buggy physics, you might feel like the game's stupid sometimes.

But despite of that, it doesnt remove the fact that the game is fun to play. It features a lot of interesting gameplay. Running from building to building from the zombies, holding out till the end, and epic campaign escape, you name it.

The game also still gets updated by the creator, which means new contents, such as seasonal events, new maps, etc.

Some of you might think "Oh, it's on Roblox, it's probably a cheaply made game for 7 years old kids", I assure you that the game still requires some brain cells to play. Not just mindlessly being idle and solely clicking your mouse like a simulator.

In conclusion, it might be that game which features some tedious grinding and buggy nature, but for a Roblox game made by a single freelance game developer, it might worth a try.

Play the game here

https://www.roblox.com/games/177200271/Reason-2-Die-1-4-1c

Game trailer in the game's description

Edited by Kevin Tang

F-Zero: GP Legend on the Game Boy Advance. In terms of games in the F-Zero series, GP Legend isn't often talked about, which is a shame, since I really liked it. In fact the series as a whole is also worth introducing, as it hasn't seen any  new games since 2004. Even then, the final game was a Japanese exclusive. 

@Pastel-chan Never played it, but it looks fabulous! I looked up the first minutes of the game and I have to say I really adore the character designs. It looks like a lovely game. :)

My pick for this topic would be Grandia. I don't know how well it sold, but it is definitely not as popular as other JRPGs. Almost everyone I knew and played the game can agree on one thing: “THIS is my childhood!”

The game is about Justin, a boy who plays adventures, and his fellow companion Sue. The game starts lighthearted, the humor is fantastic! You can walk to different objects in the worlds, sometimes even random locations(!) and he will say something interesting or funny. Even after decades, I still discover yet another detail I missed before! *-* But the best thing is, you can ignore all that. Besides a very few, there are no side quests. Perfect! Because, in my opinion, they become really boring and repetitve fast in most games. You can learn more about the world and its characters, but you don't have to. You can just enjoy the main story and the unique and fun gameplay if you want.

The adventure starts to become more serious the further you go. Justin becomes more mature and later... Well, can't spoiler that. ^-^ The game has 2 CDs, because it's so huge. Just focusing on the main story, it took me around 55 hours when I played it for the first time. But if you try to discover everything and see as much as possible, it will double the that time easily!

The game has voice acting here and there. Even some speeches in german, but only in the bigger cutscenes. At the end of the game, they did a mistake, because the german voices are overlapping the english ones. :D Many were pissed by it, but for me it's just part of it. <3 The german grammar was horrible, can't speak about the english one.

The game isn't perfect though. The loading times are really long between battles. But I guess that was normal at the time. There is a remake” I tried on the Nintendo Switch. The loading times is the only thing that's better here, but the “remake” sucks at everything else! It was one of the worst games I tried in my whole life. It didn't deserve it... But hey! :D In my opinion, the PS3 download version is the best one and not expensive. You just have to deal with the loading times.

Another problem is that the game is far too easy. You can defeat most enemies with just one hit and take 0 - 1 damage yourself. If it had a hard mode, or even better: a lunatic mode! This would be like a dream come true. But as it is, just avoid most enemies, don't level up and make it a bit more challenging. I remember it was harder for me as a kid, so it's okay. ^-^

One of my favorite aspects of the game is, that you can level up not only your characters, but also your weapon and magic skills. You can even use healing magic outside of the battles, it will gain experience here too. So much fun! The elements can be combined, if they reach a certain level. Water and wind becomes snow and so on.

The music is breathtaking! But I should stop. Besides a few quirks, the game is amazing. Just believe me, haha.

Spoiler

D91Ov17U4AA33Ii.jpg

Badges

One of my two favorites is no longer super obscure, because it's getting re-released today on the Switch. My copy is on its way.

So my other favorite isn't obscure so much as a sequel to a sequel that was panned because it had a time limit. Final Fantasy 13-3 or Lightning Returns. The battle system was awesome, don't fucking @ me. It's a flawed game for sure, but it's certainly more engaging than a time traveling sister and interacting with a Jesus Christ knock off in the second.

2 hours ago, Cocokoru said:

My pick for this topic would be Grandia.

I read about it before and actually back in the day on a magazine, and not sure whether I confuse it, but is it the one where you can also fight with monsters along your side?

5 hours ago, Bas said:

I read about it before and actually back in the day on a magazine, and not sure whether I confuse it, but is it the one where you can also fight with monsters along your side?

No! That's definitely something else. But! There are other Grandia games too, I don't know if it is possible to have monsters fighting at your side in one of the later games.

Badges

One of my favorite games as a kid was a casual flight simulator (similar to Pilotwings) called Sky Odyssey. 

220px-Sky_Odyssey_Coverart.png

Kow Otani composed the gorgeous soundtrack. I was pleasantly surprised find out that the composer behind the music of such anime as Outlaw Star and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing had also written this game's score.

This here is one of my favorite tracks in any video game, ever:

But what makes this game truly fun is the sense of adventure--in the game's story mode, you take on the role of a pilot who is not unlike Indiana Jones, collecting pieces of a map across a gradually expanding open world made up of several unforgiving islands.

(edited)

It's always God Hand. Just these gifs says it all

QS58D.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_mrhdipscMG1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

wUX4PK2.gif

ImpressionableInnocentFrogmouth-size_res

F7E5B11CED0984220C941AF7B3796F734F779539

AgonizingDirectGraysquirrel-size_restric

And there's some of the more....inappropriate ones I can't post :p

Edited by Megas

(edited)

170638.png

Disclaimer: I'm going to interpret the "unpopular" in the title as obscure or not-popular, rather than unliked.

So, I'm going to lead with Callahan's Crosstime Salloon, a beautiful gem from the golden heydays of point-and-click adventure games.

1092818135_2020-01-19(3).png.e02245babd8da3caa344106f79dfb4fa.png

While mentioning point-and-click adventures probably invokes the names of LucasArts or Sierra, there were quite a few other studios that made great games even as they failed to make history. One of those was Legend Entertainment, who cranked out quite a few humorous and semi-humorous games.

So, Callahan's.

1925923034_2020-01-19(6).png.173c923ed1647a2975f44863d0cb6767.png

Our protagonist is Jake Stonebender, Folk Singer Extremeordinaire - well, inasmuch anyone in Callahan's is ordinary. Based heavily on Spider Robinson's books and boasting the Authorial Seal Of Approval to go along with it, there's very little story going on in the bar itself, but what it does do is set the atmosphere, and it does so with gusto. Be warned, this is not a game for anyone with low pun tolerance - between the conversations, flavour text {of which there is a lot} and the occasional puzzle, the game is rife with wordplay and shameless jokes.

903409971_2020-01-19(4).png.13cd7d98356cc8dc7eb1f50112b66d55.png

But that's secondary, I think. The best word to describe Callahan's, I think, would be "warm". This isn't a game focused on defeating some bad guy {although the occasional guy does get defeated, or at least thwarted}, but rather a collection of smaller goals to take care of - helping an alien squid sabotage his mission to drain testosterone from the planet, stopping a heartbroken vampire from committing suicide, rescuing the last grove of best chocolate to ever exist in past or future, saving a time-traveling huckster's life, rescuing  and, of course, saving the universe because that's just the kind of thing you have to have in a game.

265734717_2020-01-19(10).png.eee1a42c45667b2546adb49ef224cf74.png

It also bears mentioning that the game is very well-voiced - as far as I can tell, there's no star talent involved, but all of the characters are very consistently played with quite a bit of, well, character to them, both in terms of writing and voicing. If there's one large flaw that I can think of with the game, it would probably be the very first puzzle - while it only appears once more in the game, it does depend heavily on both knowledge of English and pop culture of that time, whereas the second time it pops up, well... there's answers in the game if you know the place to look. The rest of them, however, are rather sensible and shouldn't be too hard to solve for anyone with passing familiarity with adventure games.

1744624280_2020-01-18(2).png.7b37defd0017be8aac69b2cf0784ed5f.png

There's a playthrough of the game on YouTube, but I'd honestly recommend taking a look at it yourself. It's apparently abandonware, so it can be downloaded on several different sites, though not all of them have the voiced version. There's also a patch that came out after the fact that fixes a few bugs and adds a bit more flavour text that might be harder to find, so feel free to let me know if you'd like a patched version.

265365790_2020-01-19(12).png.6ddfb866e2fcedb19457a2f2eed62a57.png

Edited by Quinch