Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Do you still look down at your keyboard when writing?

Muffinnz

I have done a lot of typing so I have gotten used to typing without looking at the keyboard.

Nope. Luckily I learned how to type at a very young age and so I don't have to look at the keyboard to type.

I can even tell when I've hit the wrong letter or hit them in the wrong order without looking at my hands or whatever it is I'm writing. :p

Learnt to type from a young age, however, this was probably not in the most efficient manner (never heard of the "home row" until Primary 7 (6th Grade for Americans)) and occasionally look at my keyboard.

like 80% looking at screen, and 20% looking at keyboard, depending on what I'm using and what I'm typing of course

• 1 month later...

Yes, some of the time. I do not type lots of documents where speed is important. Most of what I type are commands or programming code (or forum posts), so typing very fast is not that important for me to learn the proper methods.

• 1 year later...

When we had "keyboarding" class in Junior High, I did with my eyes only (you would get counted off for moving your head). Now I don't even worry about it and have it down to a T :)

No, I don't need to do this anymore. I learned how to write on a keyboard without having eye contact a very long time ago. At least as long as the keyboard has either one the two layouts I'm used to xD

Ahmm I don't want to be an ass.. but that's just me :laugh: . I think you guys mean TYPING not WRITING .. because you don't need to look at your keyboard when you are writing on a paper :laugh:, or on a floor or table......

And it's be silly if you write stuff on your keyboard...:okiedokieloki::laugh:

I kind of half look at the keyboard as I kind of know the general location of the keys but not exactly to completely not look at all, I can type fairly quickly despite not learning to type properly though.

I always look at the keyboard. I can’t type without looking at all. So I just stare at the keys and glance up from time to time to make sure I’m not making too many mistakes. The flat keyboards on laptops make it very hard for me to type without constantly monitoring for typos anyway, so I’m stuck facing down until I’m done.

Pfft.  No.  What do I look like, some kinda peasant?  Some kinda plebeian?  Some kinda schmuck?  Some kinda newb?!  I'm just kiddin.  But no, I don't.  I'll glance to reposition my hands, and sometimes I glance for punctuations because they're kinda far away, but that's about it.

Fun fact: the QWERTY keyboard layout that most of us are used to has nothing to do with efficiency or ergonomics as most people think.  It's simply a design to prevent the most commonly pressed keys from jamming on a typewriter.  It's far from the most ergonomic or efficient keyboard layout, and badass pros have experimented with software to change they layout, but most of us, myself included, as so used to QWERTY that changing now is like giving up your native language.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't look at the keyboard when typing the normal letters or if using the number pad. I learned to touch type in elementary school on one of these old beasts.

oldlabcomp.png.eebe0fbb876c17789dd5c68be7c09566.png

We had a computer lab full of them. From then on I always had my hands on home row properly. For years I still would look occasionally while typing and It wasn't until high school that I didn't anymore.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I generally don't need to look at it when it comes to letters and some other keys like ctrl, alt, del, shift, enter, the spacebar and a few others. With certain symbols, I do actually have to look down, because I don't commit those to memory. :P

• Brohoof 1