Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much do you estimate the population of Ponyville?

Sepul-Coloratura

My eyeball guess would probably be around a hundred, maybe two. Or at least before it became a major landmark, after the whole princess thing and the castle of friendship, not to mention the school it probably experienced a boom, though the town itself doesn't seem to have grown outwards.

I would've agreed with the numbers given earlier on in the series, but given the amount of traffic the town sees and the variety of backgrounds, I'd say at least a few thousand, comparable to small towns in America.

• Brohoof 1

At the beginning... I would say something like 100-200 but now... It's gotta be a good deal over 1000. Ponyville grows exponentially over the years.

Edited by Kadeda

Tricky. 

Eyeballing it, given the way Ponyville is drawn in the opening credits, plus how it is depicted in street scenes, you're probably looking at about 300-350 sentients with about 80 houses, at least when the series started. This is a viable population for a close-knit rural village.

The bit that throws me though is the schoolhouse. it's depicted as a one-room schoolhouse and the only one in Ponyville. But the number of children in the class does not match the number of children out-of-class. Heck the size of the class doesn't match the number of children shown during recess periods. If the class size better reflected the number of children seen in recess periods, the 300-350 village size would feel about right.

Now, by the time the series ended with the Friendship Castle and School, the way Ponyville got drawn changed and we're probably dealing with over 150, maybe 200 houses worth of people.So approximately 1,000 sentients.

Whether it is a town, a village, a city, a hamlet, etc. all depends on weird rules that don't 100% apply to Equestrian populations, like the presence of a Church or a Cathedral. We never really touched how Equestrians deal with religion in civic way in the show, so it's hard to work that out.

I would say that towards the beginning of the show Ponyville had somewhere around 750-1000 living there. But towards the end of the show after all the publicity and events that happened there it is probably closer to 2000 (maybe even a bit higher). I got this estimate by looking at Ponyville and comparing it's size with that of small towns in the United States. It can be quite surprising how many people (or ponies in this case) can live in such a small area. That's just my logic on the matter.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd guess somewhere in between 200 and 300. It doesn't seem like a huge town, so I don't think that there would be a ton of residents. Besides, it seems that a lot of the ponies know each other, which would definitely get confusing if there were at least 1000 residents in town.