Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What Is Your Opinion On The Debate Symposium Forum?

EpicEnergy

I was wondering what others think about the debate symposium forum here at MLP Forums. Do you love debating there, avoid debating there, or do you even care about that forum section at all?

Here's my opinion - I like debate symposium! Although I've had a few bad experiences there, I love the very deep discussions that take place there, and I enjoy participating in its controversial topics.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 5

I hate it. It's absurdly toxic, and seeing the clear bias in a lot of the threads from the OP or even the name of the thread alone makes it obvious there's not going to be an actually intellectual discussion of any kind. Frankly, if the rest of the forum were like the Debate Pit (Symposeum is absurdly polite), I'd probably have left a long time ago.

• Brohoof 2

SHOTS FIRED 

It's okay. I don't take the stuff people have slung at me over silliness in the least bit personally anymore and I immediately walk away from any argument I know is not going to be productive. I'm a 100% drama-free man now. The discussions that suck are worth it for the discussions that are actually deep and thought-provoking. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

I generally stay away from that forum. Everyone has their own opinion, and while debates can be healthy, I don't see that being the case here at a forum about cartoon horses.

Edited by Splashee
  • Brohoof 4

I think the debate forum is okay, tho I prefer debates discussions in person (Yeah, I know it's not possible on here). I mostly just read the topics and replies. Some of them have been thought provoking, even if I have disagreements. 

It's not often I chime in on a debate topic, unless it is one I'm familiar with. 

• Brohoof 2

I do like a good debate.  Even though you are generally very unlikely to see anyone's mind changed, the very act of engaging in the debate can not only increase your understanding of the opposing views but having to formulate and articulate your own thoughts in order to defend them can also help you to better understand your own position.

Of course there are always those debates that descend into base level toxic bickering but you can always walk away from them.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 7

I think that part of the forums is a bit toxic and any chance of any "provocative debate" was beaten out of it long ago.  It's actually just a swamp of pseudo-intellectualism and conservatism.  I avoid it when I can, I only read the threads over there when I hate myself.

• Brohoof 3

I will occasionally click there to see what's been in the news since I tend to avoid news sites :lie:

I've jumped in on a couple debates but I don't do so anymore. Just don't feel like putting in the effort I guess :wacko:. I think most users there are able to have healthy debates that don't turn into name-calling, and if those situations do occur mods tend to catch them pretty quick.

• Brohoof 2

That's probably my third most posted in area, but only because I just go for what I think is interesting on the newest topics when I hop on here, and one roleplay in particular, so it's technically my favorite section.

The clear bias from OP's is frustrating because it comes off as seeking validation rather than wanting to have a real discussion.

I miss the days when there were several new topics weekly and more diversity in people's answers. It did become a bit much with having super long posts responding to multiple users and trying to keep things in order and not getting too far off track.

Nowadays I check it probably once a week and if there's something new and worth discussing, I'll check it out, brohoof any comment that summarizes my view, or leave a short answer doing so otherwise.

The back and forth of debating seems to have lost some quality as well, but things like circular arguments have always been an issue.

• Brohoof 1

It's only a fraction of everything wrong with politics.

My cousin, who is herself in politics, even solidly agrees that politics is the realm of gaslighting. You can't trust even your best friend.

And she says that not because she's related to me.

So, I kind of feel like I am crazy, but I recall going on there a long time ago. I forget what the topic in question was about...something about whether we should believe women who accuse men of rape. The weird thing is I have no history of my posts on said topic. I do remember the mod being a douche and calling me a feminist as an insult. It also involved someone on this forum I considered to be a troll.

Anyway, I mostly avoid that part of the forum...

I like it for the most part. It’s good to see different perspectives. They may be a bit hard to accept in the surface level, but if you dig harder in a debate, you may learn something. Go in with an open mind.

That or you just accept to disagree based on personal biases :wacko: . (Or worse :P ).

• Brohoof 3

Loving some of the trolling in this thread. It's great to see that the toxicity of it has spread to a thread about it.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, Thuja said:

I think that part of the forums is a bit toxic

A bit is an understatement.

If I wanted to participate in a political debate, I wouldn't do it here. :adorkable: The thing I like the most about these forums is the friendly atmosphere, and sadly that's not really the first thing I associate with those kinds of debates. :ButtercupLaugh:

I don't even read the forum very often, but on the rare occasion when I do, I must admit it's fascinating in a way especially when things get out of hand. My participation rarely goes beyond that – I've only had the urge to post a couple of times and managed to resist it. :laugh:

• Brohoof 6

22 hours ago, Angel_Dust said:

Loving some of the trolling in this thread. It's great to see that the toxicity of it has spread to a thread about it.

A bit is an understatement.

Nah, I think the word toxic is a bit of an overused word honestly.

• Brohoof 3