Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has the quality of uploaded icons changed?

Odyssey

I recently changed my icon, but when I did, the quality dropped, and so did the size. The original size for my icon I'm using is 107Kb, but it went down to 43Kb when it was uploaded. Similarly the dimensions went down from 250x250px to 140x140px. Is this a new change to the website? I ask because I feel like the new cropping feature when uploading an icon really affects its quality. The fact that you cannot skip the cropping feature, and that cropping is set to scale didn't really help much either. Since it's set to scale, I also see black bars in my icons, unless if I'm very careful cropping around the picture (which is hard to begin with, when I have to crop my icons I can hardly see the select tool's borders)

• Brohoof 2

I have noticed this as well. I have had to mess with my icons in my art app to help make them less pixelated.

I personally never notice to be honest since the sizes on avatars were always pretty tight. But I guess there is a bit of a quality drop. My avatar looks worse than it actually is.

Answering the title question, no it has not changed. At least not recently. Size is 150 kB and width/height is 150 px. I actually increased the profile image size allowance from the old 100 kB restriction. Since the 4.0 version of the software height and width are constrained so we no longer have the ability through the ACP to create special dimensions for profile pics. 

Note that the 150 x 150 is for max viewport sizes and not for smaller sizes such as the viewports on a phone, tablet, or reduced size of a browser window. 

To @Bas yes there is some compression magic that occurs when attaching images into posts. That’s normal and working as intended. 

• Brohoof 1

As the question was asked and answered by either a staffer or user who was correct, we will be closing this question out. Thank you as always.