Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I defend Fluttershy in Putting your Hoof Down

PCutter

On 2/7/2020 at 2:43 AM, Latecomer said:

And did it do her any good? Or did it just hurt her and her friends?

I don't know about the details of your situvion, but Fluttershy would have been better served by expressing her feelings reasonably rather than either bottling them up or lashing out.

Maybe it worked for FS, but so what if I did the same to those who pushed me around? They'll just say I'm a weakling for being civil and that alone is enough for me to accept they'll NEVER change. And besides, what's not to let them act the same around others? If I were the only one who could stop them for good, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:14 AM, Latecomer said:

But those episodes kind of objectivly suck. Especially the first.

Then I guess I'm happy that I'm objectively wrong that I enjoy those episodes.

Ok, I've looked through this topic quite a few times, but you have to realize that Iron Will taught the wrong thing, and because Fluttershy can be shown to be a little naive at times.

Now, if we truly examine Iron Will's mottos, we can clearly see the recipe for a bully. For instance, take the phrase "When someone tries to block, show them that you rock". This really states that if someone gets at you, show them you're the boss, or, if someone is a jerk, retaliate and show them you can be a jerk too. Two wrongs don't make a right. Everything that Fluttershy did crossed the line majorly, especially when Fluttershy hurt Rarity and Pinkie Pie, when they were concerned about Fluttershy's behavior. 

I'm sorry but there is no way to justify Fluttershy's behavior. She became a bully and hurt many ponies in the process. 

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Maybe it worked for FS, but so what if I did the same to those who pushed me around? They'll just say I'm a weakling for being civil and that alone is enough for me to accept they'll NEVER change. And besides, what's not to let them act the same around others? If I were the only one who could stop them for good, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Then I guess I'm happy that I'm objectively wrong that I enjoy those episodes.

Well honestly, i'd rather just have nothing to do with such jerks. If that's not possible, then you're probably in a position - like working together - where blowing up at them will get you in trouble, not them..

And it's fine if like them - better to enjoy an episode than not, for the most part. I'd be jealous, but your life seems more stressful than mine so I won't begrudge you getting more pleasure ouv of 40ish minutes of pony.

One of the major flaws is the episode, it doesn't show Fluttershy directing her aggression on the agitator Angel.

Other than that Fluttershy gets drunk on power and anger which can happen to someone not use to it.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, PCutter said:

When she badmouths Pinkie and Rarity, I related to her because I feel like lashing out at everyone for letting them trample over me all the time. So what if I regret it afterwards? I'm sick of being treated like I ave nothing worthwhile to offer.

Except Fluttershy immediately regrets what she said to Rarity and Pinkie after she insulted them? Locking yourself away to stop yourself from hurting any more people is kind of a big deal :huh:

Also, Fluttershy has went out of her way to learn how to be more assertive because she knows she can't speak up for herself. She just didn't realise that pushing others and yelling is a terrible thing to do.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:54 AM, Latecomer said:

And it's fine if like them - better to enjoy an episode than not, for the most part. I'd be jealous, but your life seems more stressful than mine so I won't begrudge you getting more pleasure ouv of 40ish minutes of pony.

It's fine if who likes them?

I haven't watched Putting Your Hoof Down in a long time, but I think I remember it well enough to comment. I remember liking that episode. It had a good moral that a newly self-confident Flutters needed to learn, even though it might have been hard to watch. I also think it adds depth to her character, knowing that somewhere in her she has the capacity to act that cruel, yet consciously and purposefully chooses to be a better pony.

1401502236_cuteflutters.thumb.png.aab78d248ea660140464efe86d537d33.png

Also the episode gave us this face, which does make it an automatic 100/10. sorry, I don't make the rules

Nah spreading your own pain to your FRIENDS like Fluttershy did is not ok. Saying oh I have bottled up stuff to get out so its ok to hurt others in doing so is not ok. Pain is like a disease and people rather then clearing it up seem to delight in spreading it to others. And that is not ok. Especially when its done to people who are trying to help you. Even worse when you attack their deepest passions because you know it will hurt most. Is it understandable as in how/why it could happen? Yea but I can also relate to stupid stunts on youtube. It does not make either one smart or healthy to engage in. 

• Brohoof 2

I think it's totally in character for Fluttershy to act that way. But that doesn't mean I'll defend her actions, especially considering the context of the insults she spoke to Pinkie Pie and Rarity. While I get her ranting about her being a doormat and a wimp, she insulted her friend's passions for crying out loud. What she did was wrong, no matter how relatable that is. 

Edited by Sky Serenade
  • Brohoof 1

I felt like it was wrong for her to do it, but I also didn't blame her for it. She was inexperienced, and being given bad advice. A lot of us have been there with one social issue or another. Just try getting dates based on what you read in Cosmopolitan, let me know how well that goes.

Even then though, I kind of realized there's a more subtle underlying message to the Iron Will thing. I've noticed far too often that what people refer to as "empowering" is indiscernible from simply "being a complete expletive"

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Just try getting dates based on what you read in Cosmopolitan, let me know how well that goes.

Hey dont you dare tell me that 100 ways to get a new man doesnt work. 

9 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Given this episode takes place before Twilight comes to town, I can easily forgive Fluttershy snapping at ponies because she's treated far worse by the townsfolk, and she's a lot more shy than she was in her first meeting with Twilight

think that's only a theory/alternate reading. 

6 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Given this episode takes place before Twilight comes to town, I can easily forgive Fluttershy snapping at ponies because she's treated far worse by the townsfolk, and she's a lot more shy than she was in her first meeting with Twilight

It does not take place after Twilight comes to town. At the end she write to Princess Celestia about friendship. Which only occurred well after Twilights arrival.

6 hours ago, Latecomer said:

think that's only a theory/alternate reading. 

It has to be and its  a bad one at that based on what I pointed out above. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 9:24 PM, Jedishy said:

It does not take place after Twilight comes to town. At the end she write to Princess Celestia about friendship. Which only occurred well after Twilights arrival.

It has to be and its  a bad one at that based on what I pointed out above. 

Real life doesn't include people writing notes to royalty, so... :muffins:

It's also a show for kids, so probably best not to overthink things

Just now, The Nth Doctor said:

Real life doesn't include people writing notes to royalty, so... :muffins:

It's also a show for kids, so probably best not to overthink things

Who said anything about real life? The show has a timeline and its easy to follow more or less. Nor is this over thinking. Its literally did the rest of the mane six write Celestia about friendship before Twilight came to town? No. Rather simple.