Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(For men): What do you do when someone tells you to be a man?

Muffinnz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve never had it happen to me so I don’t know for sure what I’d do. 

Probably just stare at them.  That’s what I usually do when someone is criticizing me or talking down.  Blankly staring at them weirds them out and they don’t know where to go after. 

• 1 year later...

Oof this hits pretty hard for me 😔

My father is a very old school macho man type guy. I can be pretty sensitive and "feminine" according to him. I like to hug my friends for example and he cant stand it.

Same if im ever upset or cry its always "man up" or "stop acting like a girl".

Usually I just ignore him or apologise since I dont want to get into an argument. Sometimes i have shouted at him but that doesnt usually end well lol.

Heh, think he would be mortified to find out I like MLP and have some crushes on the same gender, i think i would be up for adoption 😅

On 2020-02-06 at 3:05 PM, Mirage said:

Being a man is good. Pretending is not.

Being a 'man' is taking responsibility and getting shit done. Wallowing in (negative) emotions depresses a man's ability to function, so if you know someone who isn't functioning because they are clinging to pain or guilt, it's time to have a 'man to man' conversation to get them back on their feet and standing tall again. Notice I said 'conversation', not criticism.

The reason men that love you don't want to see you weak and crying and depressed is because if you go out into the world like that you will be taken advantage of and crushed. Women won't be attracted to you, and other men won't respect you. True masculinity is inner strength and energy for the purpose of protecting a family. Providing security. Being a leader. Being independent and self-sufficient.

If someone I respect tells me to 'be a man' about something, I might listen. I'm prone to drowning in my own mind, and it helps to have someone lend a strong hand to drag me out...even though I might not necessarily be the socially constructed form of a 'man'.

Perfectly said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to (For men): What do you do when someone tells you to be a man?