Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with Sherem

Illiad Easle

He sighed "You have my deepest apologies" he took back the bits with his magic "My guess is that today I go with another kind of heavy head to what is left of sleep when I can find somewhere to sleep" he said as he took the drink and said "thank you" and he sipped it with his eyes closed, he did felt embarrassed, but he knew this could also happen so he left to chance the idea of getting a smuggled drink. As well as his low self-steem, the drinks where another comfort zone for him. It made him forget all, and it made him, after the hangover more efficient as he burred his emotions and memories deeper and deeper.

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

If Sherem didn't do anything of his own accord, Midnight would find him the the alcohol tent about an hour later as the first rays of sunlight were starting to shine across the forest. He was both relieved and a bit disappointed to find him there, "Hey, you alright? It's a bit early to be getting drunk don't you think?"

• Brohoof 1

"you can't get drunk if you are not drinking strong stuff my lord, they made me clear that the drinks were not meant to get you to that state. I trust you enjoyed the festival on your own way?" he asked with a smile as he finished his last bottle and saw the sun rays, with a smile he got off the stool  and faced his Lord "and about me...well I had my fill of talk and eating the best I could, then again I was never much of a festivity pony myself, I guess this why princess luna said I was not living a full life after the empire"

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

14 hours ago, Sherem said:

I trust you enjoyed the festival on your own way?"

Midnight nodded with a smile of his own, "The foals never tire of my tales, and I have yet to tire of hearing about their heritage. One of my few regrets in my long life is that I was not able to meet the first Fastar. He has certainly been portrayed as a bastion of truth and honesty."

14 hours ago, Sherem said:

I guess this why princess luna said I was not living a full life after the empire

Midnight shook his head, "Festivals aren't for everypony, there are some who prefer more intimate occasions, smaller groups among a few trusted friends. Still though, she may speak true, you do seem rather lost when not given an immediate task to complete. If you've nothing left to do here, we should make our way back. It is an opportune time to show you Mohotma City and its inhabitants."

• Brohoof 1

On 10/23/2020 at 12:16 AM, Illiad Easle said:

If you've nothing left to do here, we should make our way back. It is an opportune time to show you Mohotma City and its inhabitants."

Sherem shook his head with a smile and Said "and here I thought I could get some sleep" he said jokingly "lead the way my lord and I will follow, though if end up sleeping in one of the tables I give you my deepest apologies" he said as he was ready to walk with him and wherever he was willing to take him.

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

Midnight rolled his eyes, "You'd have to get back to the castle somehow. Still, I had thought that alicorns had boundless energy? Lu..." he chocked a bit, "Princess Luna seemed to indicate as much. Mayhaps she and her sister are the exception rather than the rule." He motioned for Sherem to follow, "Come now, I'll let you sleep till your heart's content once we're back at the castle."

Now that dawn had arrived, the thestrals had set about cleaning up the festival, they were making quick work of it and were nearly done by the time Sherem and Midnight would reach the exit of the clearing.

The sun would have fully passed the horizon by the time they got out of the forest, and the zebra of Mohotma city were already in full swing, the fields were full of zebra of all ages harvesting the last of the crops before the winter that would shortly arrive, more than a few spared a wave to the pair as they passed. Midnight gestured out at the city, while it looked esthetically like a zebrican village, it had certainly borrowed some architectural elements from Early Equestria among others. There were a few buildings over two stories, but most were built more wide than tall, especially the buildings adjacent to the farmland which seemed almost teeming with zebra foals, indicating larger family units than in Equestria. "This is Mohotma City, one of, if not the, largest single settlements of Zebra in the whole world, in addition to being the single largest tribe of Zebra in history, expanding every year both from new births and inductions from immigration. Their council of elders can all trace a lineage to Mohotma himself, it's an unofficial requirement to become an elder here." He smiled as a group of younger zebra ran past them, "I remember when he was that young. His time as a slave matured him far beyond his years. It always brightens my day to see young ones able to enjoy their youth, rather than having it stolen from them."

He would be quiet for a moment before turning to Sherem, "Anything in particular you'd like to know about the city or see for yourself? Unless you'd like to come back at a later time, which is perfectly acceptable."

• Brohoof 1

Sherem looked around and said "the best place to start in any new city of place like this is the market, that is where you see a good percentage of what the ponies or creatures are like around. That's where day by day is revealed to newcomers" he said with a smile as he stood by the side of his lord.

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

Midnight looked impressed as he nodded, "Very astute, let's head over there now." He steered their course over to another thoroughfare which soon opened up to a grand marketplace filled with stalls peddling all sorts of wares from baked goods to fine spun cloths, aromatic spices as well as clay works of varying shapes. It was full of zebra selling and buying, overall there was a happy atmosphere around the market as some zebra bid on more unique wares from more distanced stalls while others bought more staple goods in greater quantities. 

In one corner of the marketplace was a covered stall that most of the zebra stayed away from, a sign by the entrance said: 'Madame Zeroni Sees All'

• Brohoof 1

"hmm" sherem said as he went into the stall to look around, he was amused by the title, who can see all after all, he considered the possibility of a scam, but he wanted to know why everypony and everybody stayed away from it. Perhaps there was more to this Madame Zenori that it seemed

(left a message in the OCC)

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

It was dimly lit in the tent, and sparsely decorated beyond some oddly carved masks and talismans. Sherem would be able to tell that they resonated with some strange power, something more akin to a Minotaur rune than unicorn magic.

Behind a short desk sat a zebra mare that seemed quite generic, she didn't look particularly old, nor did she look particularly young. The stripes on her flank formed into a pattern that resembled an eye, but more notable than that was that she wore a torn blindfold, through the tear Sherem could see that she was blind in at least one eye.

Nonetheless, she noticed when Sherem entered, and nodded with a smile. "Ah, I saw that you would come to me today." From under the desk she pulled out a book and opened it, it was full of drawings of ponies and places, and the last page that was filled in showed a rendition of himself entering her tent. She readied a quill as she looked in his general direction, "So, what can madam Zeroni do for you? A peak into your future? Some event you want to know about? Something in the past perhaps? Or do you need something more immediate? My talismans guarantee no evil spirit will approach or overpower, and my masks ensure that no spirit can find you without invitation."

• Brohoof 1

He then felt like challenged by this Zebra but he kept his cordial smile "Then what they say about Destiny is true, We are compelled ineluctably down pre-ordained paths. Free will is an illusion" then he looked at the masks and said "I do hope you have strong wardings, for what you might see in my past would be too much madam" he smiled, he didn't mock her but it was more of a friendly warning, after all he knew his past better than anybody or any pony in the world then he said "about my future, that is something I would like to see as well, although I have a vague idea where it goes"

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

9 hours ago, Sherem said:

We are compelled ineluctably down pre-ordained paths. Free will is an illusion

The zebra chuckled as she shook her head, "No, no. If the future were so stone set I wouldn't need to look so often! I could simply look once and know all! No, the future is ever changing. I saw you coming into my shop today, and I drew it because it was a common outcome. There are others who I saw arriving that did not, but not once has one entered that I did not foresee. Even now the future flows like a river. Sometimes the path is clear, held still by cliff faces, other times... it spills over its banks and flows in a new direction. Even a small action can be the one that breaks the dam."

9 hours ago, Sherem said:

"about my future, that is something I would like to see as well, although I have a vague idea where it goes"

She nodded, and motioned for him to take a seat across from her table. "Perhaps better, ask what you would like to see, and I will try to find the flow that brings you there. What would you like to know? What paths would you like to see?"

• Brohoof 1

On 11/8/2020 at 4:04 AM, Illiad Easle said:

Even now the future flows like a river. Sometimes the path is clear, held still by cliff faces, other times...

"An ever flowing river it is, so is the past I believe" he stood in front of the desk and said "what can you see in the currents of time of the future Madame? what has destiny prepared for me and what part should I play in this theater that fate has orchestrated and that never seems to have an end?" he asked. He knew these lingo of cryptic and riddles that the Madame Zebra spoke in. Though he could be certain that she was better than him in that regard.

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

Madame Zeroni motioned to the floor across the desk from her, "Take a seat, get comfortable, and let us see what the future has in store for you."

She turned to a blank page in her book and reached for her quill before stopping, grabbing a rough piece of charcoal instead. "There is a good deal of turbulence in your future, like your path was recently changed... "

She started to draw a rough outline, the roughness accentuated by the use of charcoal. The zebra didn't say anything else as she continued drawing.

In the end, the scene depicted showed him standing before a council, similar to the one he had stood before recently. The council was made up of silhouettes, but they seemed to resemble the notable ponies he knew, five alicorns, a large pony, and a creature of minotauresque proportions. What was perhaps notable was that the depiction of himself seemed to depict a duality, half of him was in the light, half silhouetted.

She sighed as she set down the charcoal. "There are many paths before you. But more often than not they lead you to this room. The others faded in and out as I looked. The only certainty is that you will be there, the rest are not so assured. This much is certain, there is much that is about to occur that will set you on a path. Take great care how you proceed."

• Brohoof 1

¨"my guess would be that is Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance and Princess Twilight, but that 5th, who could it be? the minotauresque seems to be Your grace Sir. Seems I would face a kind of trial for something I did" he said as he looked at the drawing "and the darkness on me...could it be that he would return?" he asked but he didn't expect for her to give her an aswer

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

The zebra shook her head, "I only see the scene, not the context nor the words. Especially an event so nebulous as this one."

As he named the silhouettes in the room she waited, "The fifth one does not appear often, never when all the others are present, in fact I only saw them when only this one was there." She pointed to the silhouette of Sir.

She continued, "As to the darkness within you, I cannot say how it will play a part. It is too early to tell just yet."

She closed the book, "Now, unless you would like a talismon, there is another who seeks you, one to whom this whole village owes an unpayable debt."

• Brohoof 1

"An unpayable debt does it?" he said as he thought about, he then resolved it was Sir. himself or would be Midnight, he then said at the Zebra "thank you for your time" he bowed a bit and leaving some bits on a plate "take care" he said as he left the tent and went outside back to the market to meet one of the two of his lords and keep his tour of the Zebra settlement. He was a bit heavy with thoughts with that prophecy and he thought that perhaps Sheoreth would deficiently return to harm. At this point he would hear his mocking and insulting, but since the prison was still active he could not hear him now.

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

Sure enough, Midnight was waiting for him as he exited the tent, which shouldn't be too surprising as they had come to the market together. Midnight nodded as Sherem came out of the tent, "I thought as much, she does tent to attract the foreigners far better than the locals. You find something you like?"

Midnight would look over the rest of the market, "Something else you want to see here? or should we continue on our journey back to the castle?"

• Brohoof 1

He looked back at the tent and said "there is little I like my lord, like you know" he then thought for a while and said "I think I will continue with my tour when alone, if I'm meant to learn I have to take action myself. Besides" he walked to his lord's side "I'm already a bad company to any creature in equestria" he chuckled and waited for his lord to lead the way back to the castle to continue his studies in solitude 

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

Midnight scoffed, "It's not much of a tour if you're doing it by yourself, but if that's what you'd prefer, I think it could be arranged."

2 hours ago, Sherem said:

"I'm already a bad company to any creature in equestria"

Midnight looked a bit skeptical, "Come now, there's no need to be so hard on yourself. You've found company in many a place here already, you may not see it the same way, but there are creatures that appreciate your company."

Nonetheless, he picked up that Sherem wanted some time alone, and so took the more direct route back up to the castle, the mountainside was a bit sparse when it came to ponies, in part due to the fact that it was just the start of the day and part of the mountain was still shaded, and in part due to most of the industry and residential being on the inward portion of the mountain.

The few ponies they did pass on their walk nodded respectfully to the both of them.

If Sherem didn't ask to stop and look at something, or ask something of Midnight, they would soon arrive at the castle, and once inside Midnight would turn to Sherem, "Well, you know where to find me if you need anything. Do try to stay out of trouble, alright?"

• Brohoof 1

"no one will even notice I exist my lord" he said with a smile as he headed now to the library by his own, he just didn't took the statement of his lord seriously, what he had done but to cause trouble and embarrass himself in front of the ponies that called Archback home? he hadn't done anything to earn such a thing like that somepony or anybody would enjoy his company? nothing was the answer he thought as he looked for more tomes of lore and story of archback and the clans

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

He was, for the moment, alone in the archives, but who knew how long that solitude would last.

The same selection of tomes was available to him as before, all he needed to do was resolve which subject he would study, then finding books and knowledge would be easy.

• Brohoof 1

He resolved to study more about the zebras and the history that gave them their alliance with the archback kingdom, he knew that it was because they were freed of equestrian slavers thanks to Midnight and Sir, but that could not be all of the story, he decided to keep studing the story after the liberation of the Zebras from equestria, snow was falling now and it wouldn't be long before it covered all the plains and forests around archback.

• Brohoof 1

@Sherem

Starting from the beginning, the zebra tribe Mohotma was named for a zebra colt of the same name who was the first zebra freed by Midnight and Sir, collectively referred to as The Black Knight in the text, who joined in their crusade rather than try and return to their ancestral home. In the first year of liberation, most of those who united to tribe Mohotma were younger stallions who had lost family to the slavers, those who were able bodied enough to fight back and young enough to not have strong ties to their homeland. In the second year, the tribe had grown large enough that bringing all of thm on raids became too much, as such they needed a place to remain when not out following The Black Knight. They found Archback Valley between the mountain and the forest and claimed the land as a base for their tribe.

Now that they had a homeland of their own, those that were not on raids longed for companionship, to become a true tribe, rather than a herd of mustangs. From then on a number of those who were liberated from slavers would chose to join the tribe and live in Archback valley instead of trying to return to the homeland.

In the fourth year of the liberation, The Black Knight was captured by Celestia, Sir turned to stone, and Midnight made a slave to Luna. Mohotma took direct control of the liberation efforts in The Black Knight's absence, he having been trained by Sir himself in the art of leading and ruling. Mohotma was considered the warchief of the tribe for the rest of the liberation period, becoming chief elder of the tribe once he was no longer fit to fight.

Outside of the liberation period, the tribe has grown much like any other zebra tribe, content to remain separate and self sufficient. While it is by far one of the most advanced of the zebra tribes, it is still a good amount behind the rest of the world when it comes to technology, and it is very conservative where it comes to culture, maintaining a system mostly unchanged from the ancestral ways.

As it pertained to their relationship with Archback, when Midnight first brought the Lunar Order to Archback, they were cared for both by him and the council of Mohotma, raised as members of the tribe until they had reached an age sufficient to care for themselves, and once there was enough normal ponies in the area to warrant a separation of their cultures in order to maintain the stability of their ancestral ways. In a way, Mohotma City considers itself the progenitors of the Archback Kingdom, and in a sense are the capital city of the union between Archback, themselves, and Thestral Clan Fastar.

• Brohoof 1

And then he sighed seeing about, the slavery matter again. He understood that is a topic that the zebras would not let go that easily, but it has been years ever since a Zebra had been a slave, in his mind he thought that in order for the zebra clans and equestria to have a chance of standing in diplomatic grounds both had to let go the past. Then again who was he to think or talk like that if he was a slave of past himself, yet at the same time he thought he was just one in comparasion of the rest of both kingdoms, he was an idiot but that just shows that the rest could overcome this matter of the slavery and the past.

• Brohoof 1