The Recherche

A Request to Revise Account Deletion Poicy

This is not an easy topic to make, but it is ultimately one I consider worth making.

To keep this succinct, I would like to delete my MLPF account for various personal reasons. However, a somewhat new MLPF policy now prohibits this, so that content on MLPF can be managed a bit easier, from what I understand. Though I understand the technical nightmare that MLPF can be, from my brief experience as a Staffer, I ultimately believe it benefits the users of MLPF the most, even though it likely concerns endeavors outside of MLPF.

If there are any other reasons for this policy to exist, I would like to discuss and potentially negotiate them with the Staff at large. Input from other users is also welcome, since this topic may be deceptively complex. One way or another, I am hoping for this to be as constructive of a discussion as possible.

• Brohoof 1
  • Sad 3

I don't mean to sound, well, mean, but why does it have to be deleted? If you are worried someone might see it, there's no real problem. All you need to do is change your user name to something neutral, (Like "Retired") delete the avatar picture/signature, and walk away.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I don't mean to sound, well, mean, but why does it have to be deleted? If you are worried someone might see it, there's no real problem. All you need to do is change your user name to something neutral, (Like "Retired") delete the avatar picture/signature, and walk away.

True, but it is still possible to to view a user's account name history once you create an account, which is a very simple process.

Truly, I am not so much worried about someone unsavory seeing my content; I barely post pertinent information about myself, it is more an issue of simply wanting a greater degree of agency over the content I post online. It is impossible to permanently delete content off of the internet, of course, but I would like the option to remove my account on MLPF as many other websites allow.

Simply put, I would like 2020 Recherche to live without the burdens of 2018 Recherche, if that makes sense. I have matured quite a lot in the past two years, and I would like to put my more... unsavory episodes behind me.

3 minutes ago, The Recherche said:

True, but it is still possible to to view a user's account name history once you create an account, which is a very simple process.

Truly, I am not so much worried about someone unsavory seeing my content; I barely post pertinent information about myself, it is more an issue of simply wanting a greater degree of agency over the content I post online. It is impossible to permanently delete content off of the internet, of course, but I would like the option to remove my account on MLPF as many other websites allow.

Simply put, I would like 2020 Recherche to live without the burdens of 2018 Recherche, if that makes sense. I have matured quite a lot in the past two years, and I would like to put my more... unsavory episodes behind me.

I understand. I don't know if that is possible with the site setup though (I really have no clue!) Good luck!

We do not delete accounts here on MLP Forums unless you live in Europe and don’t make exceptions just because you have posted things in the past you regret. The next best thing you can do is delete your profile information and leave it dormant, simply leaving it behind. If there are specific posts you would like hidden from view, you can report them with your reasoning or message a moderator or administrator directly. 

We will likely not be revising this policy anytime soon.

My feedback to the feedback is...

Content deletions cause a great deal of troubles with the site as a whole. Many times our decisions are knee-jerk, and I'm guilty of it, and if the Staff deleted all posts upon every request and it became a norm, it would just be total chaos. The entropy factor is kinda scary once you think about it... There'd be discontinuity everywhere, and uncertainty and confusion for other members caught in the crossfire.

I don't know what you did or what you're ashamed of @The Recherche, but if it was a situation or two, I'd just discuss it with the Staff in private and try to reach an agreement. If you need a mediator, I'd be happy to volunteer.

Why is your past so important?

I mean, are you not going to use MLPF anymore (If you aren't, why did it matter what you posted here in the past, assuming you use another usernames somewhere else or your username being pretty widespread?).

If you intent to still use MLPF - well, that's like the reason acc deletions don't happen, so you can use it again in the future. Also hits for my above question; Even if you don't intent to, you still might come back somewhen to this place.

And honestly, if you continue to use this site - I am pretty sure people here can and will see themselves whether you changed and give you credit for not having to have the same quirks as two years ago.

So, what exactly are your worries and what you are afraid of? is there anything - and I don't mean to sound offensive - hindering you of simply moving on?

I guess you could move to Europe? :P

Honestly I think everyone (except public figures obviously), not just Europeans, should have a "right to be forgotten" but we live in a segregated world, unfortunately. Perhaps one day in the future these policies will be extended to other western nations (I think California is starting to do something similar).

Huh, nevermind, apparently that policy only applies to websites within the EU. So I'm unsure why mods of a Canadian website are granting that privilege to EU users.

Edited by SparklingSwirls

A topic on MLPF:

https://mlpforums.com/topic/183423-account-deletions/?tab=comments#comment-5553114

Also yes. We will only delete an account if we are required by law to do so, and presently that is only available to EU citizens. And yes we are permitted to verify. 

There is also a topic from staff regarding this:

I don't know, however, how up-to-date it is.

As for bans, we're not keen on those either for folks who want to leave. At the end of the day, no matter how dead-set someone may think they are on never returning, the stats show that, more often than not, many people do. Thus, the staff doesn't feel it a productive use of time to ban people when they have their (more often than not) knee-jerk leave decisions, only to receive a Support Ticket from them at some point in the future saying they want to come back, and asking us if we can unban them. Might as well just leave your account be. If you don't come back, you don't. If you do come back, you do.

This all said, we feel we've reached a happy medium in that the staff are more than happy to remove posts, blogs or other content of yours that you feel contains any trace of personal information that you wouldn't want visible on the site anymore. Please note, however, this does not mean we will remove all your posts altogether, nor should you expect us to do so upon your request. Removing all your posts and other things is hardly a far jump from removing your account entirely, but posts or blogs containing things like pictures of yourself or artworks, other creative media, anything remotely personal or things of a related nature can be removed.

My post so far is merely meant as a summary of the current situation without leaning to either side (in the explanation part above).

Again, you have to ask yourself what you are concretely afraid of and why you want to content to be removed. Being able to answer that to yourself will allow you to find a solution for yourself as well.

Wait is it illegal for accounts in the u.s. to be deleted for legal reasons???

No, it is required to delete data from EU citizens on demand.

Edit:

TBH I am not sure how these are even required to be done considering it is a Canadian organization, but it might be because of trade/safe harbor agreements.

Edit2: It seems it is required for websites/companies that ship to the EU or the like, or maybe also payments. Sure you can go on about whether this is the case for MLPF (there are donations happening), but at the end of the day, it seems to be a legal risk to take to NOT delete data from EU citizens - I wouldn't take it if I could avoid it.

Edited by Bas