• Ibm
    • Sony
    • Alienware
    • Compaq
    • Origin PC
    • System76
    • Custom parts
    • Other
    • Non traditional I only use tablets and smartphones.
    • Gateway

An unknown brand Pentium 120 MHz, with Windows 95 A installed on it. It was the best experience! Most people had less than 100 MHz and the time and Windows 3.11. I got to be part of both worlds, while having the newer computer.

For me, loading of Windows 95, with a slow computer, is better and more rewarding, than loading any other system, anytime!

• Brohoof 3

I think the first computer I had was a 150 dollar Dell Laptop that could barely run Cool math games, although that was technically a family computer I'm still going to say it counts.

Edited by Derpy Pon-3
  • Brohoof 3

Depends, honestly.

My absolute FIRST computer was one of those DOS computers with floppies for everything and very limited colors. I have no idea what parts or brands were used to make it, but I honestly don't think it matters since DOS is the most basic of software.

However, the computer I had after that is what I usually consider my first computer. It was a Windows 95, because it was the mid 90's and therefore the newest thing on the market. When my mother purchased it, she got it with all the original PC parts. No clone PC's, no brands trying to be hip, just pure original.

• Brohoof 4

It was Dell that ran Windows XP. I used it for a good few years, before I gave it to my uncle. The tower is actually lying around somewhere at his house, along with all the peripherals. I'm pretty sure it runs Windows 8 nowadays, but at least I know where to find it if I'm in desperate need of a computer.

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, Samurai Equine said:

Depends, honestly.

My absolute FIRST computer was one of those DOS computers with floppies for everything and very limited colors. I have no idea what parts or brands were used to make it, but I honestly don't think it matters since DOS is the most basic of software.

However, the computer I had after that is what I usually consider my first computer. It was a Windows 95, because it was the mid 90's and therefore the newest thing on the market. When my mother purchased it, she got it with all the original PC parts. No clone PC's, no brands trying to be hip, just pure original.

Absolute awesomeness! What an experience :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

Pentium 100MHz, 8MB RAM, 850MB HDD, a 6X CD-ROM drive and a Sound Blaster. The OS was recently released Windows 95. I later upgraded it with more RAM (24MB and later 80MB), bigger hard drive (10GB IIRC), a CD-RW drive and 3dfx Voodoo2. I also upgraded the OS to Windows98 some time after that was released. I could play Half Life and Quake 3 on that PC (resolution 512x384).

Then I upgraded the whole PC to, IIRC, AMD K6-2 (450MHz or so).

• Brohoof 4

Sometime in the early 00's I was given my own computer back in my room for school stuff. I do not remember the brand or even whether it was a PC or a Mac. I think that it was most likely a PC, but I can't remember very well. It was a very old computer by the standards of that time.

In the late summer of 2004, my grandpa had a PC built for me. That's the first PC I really remember as "mine", because we also got high-speed internet right around that time and I had unlimited internet back in my bedroom for the first time. Those of you all who never experienced dial-up have no idea how luxurious this felt. Lol.

• Brohoof 2

My first computer was a green desktop custom made tower, that I shared with my sister, I think the power supply must have been broken because the computer cut off after 30 minutes of use, and died not long later, 
it ran Windows XP, and my guess is that it was most probably a Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP, and probably had a 30GB hdd (this is all guessing apart from Windows XP).

The first computer that I've ever had to myself was a Linx 8 Windows 8 Tablet, with a massive.... 32GB internal storage

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Pentium 100MHz, 8MB RAM, 850MB HDD, a 6X CD-ROM drive and a Sound Blaster. The OS was recently released Windows 95. I later upgraded it with more RAM (24MB and later 80MB), bigger hard drive (10GB IIRC), a CD-RW drive and 3dfx Voodoo2. I also upgraded the OS to Windows98 some time after that was released. I could play Half Life and Quake 3 on that PC (resolution 512x384).

Then I upgraded the whole PC to, IIRC, AMD K6-2 (450MHz or so).

Fantastic! Of course it is your user name as well!

I wasn't as lucky, as I didn't have any Sound Blaster, or Voodoo! I got to borrow a Voodoo Rush with a Formula 1 games I liked a lot.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Alphabet Soup said:

It came in a box that looked like a cow... I can't believe Gateway's not even a choice. :o

Anyway it was white and I'm pretty sure ran Windows 98.

I just added the choice! 

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Splashee said:

I wasn't as lucky, as I didn't have any Sound Blaster, or Voodoo! I got to borrow a Voodoo Rush with a Formula 1 games I liked a lot

My PC had the sound card from the beginning, but I got Voodoo a few years later (as a Christmas present). Always wanted to buy another one and run SLI, but the CPU cache was in the way (the card would not physically fit).

• Brohoof 2

The first computer I used was my family's old Windows 95 machine. Don't remember what it was, just that it was old and yellowing. I played MechWarrior 2 for hours on that thing and loved every minute of it, until the motherboard fried and we replaced it with an eMachines Windows XP computer.

My first PC that wasn't a shared computer was a used $130 Dell laptop that I got freshman year of high school. It was fine for schoolwork and could run a handful of games (Asphalt 8 Airborne on low, Terraria on minimum, World of Tanks on minimum at 15 to 20 fps, and not much else). The screen was completely destroyed at one point, but it still runs if I plug it up to a monitor. It's from the good days when laptops had more IO than just two USB-C ports. It has VGA, HDMI, ethernet, a disc drive, four USB 2.0 ports, an SD card reader, and audio in and out.

Edited by Booker
  • Brohoof 4