• Ibm
    • Sony
    • Alienware
    • Compaq
    • Origin PC
    • System76
    • Custom parts
    • Other
    • Non traditional I only use tablets and smartphones.
    • Gateway

My first computer was a Proteva ordered from Home Shopping Club in *GASP* 1998! My mom and dad said, How would you like that for Christmas. I said Yes please! It came like a month early. I wasn't allowed to open anything until Christmas day. The computer, monitor, printer, and speakers for an even one thousand dollars. It had a positively HUGE hard drive. The biggest one on the market for home use. TEN WHOLE GIGABYTES! Not a typo. TEN GB! It had 32MB memory, and ran at 700 megahertz.

Now, my smallest thumb drive is 32GB!

LOL!

I couldn't find a picture of it, but the tower was HUGE It had a CD drive, and three other slots. When the became available, I bought a CD BURNER! I felt like a real computer expert when I installed it myself! The thing could barely support it. If I so much as looked at it funny, it would ruin the disk and I'd have to try again! Then I added more memory, and a second hard drive.

There was a class action lawsuit because they kept failing, but I was lucky. The thing ran great until ! bought my second computer something like five years later. I tore up the lawsuit paperwork, since mine worked until I stripped it for parts. Fun but embarrassing fact. Anyone ever watch Serial Experiments Lain? Because of that anime, I may have done something weird. Whenever I opened the tower to install something, I always closed and locked my door.

Yup. Fearing static, I worked in my underwear, sitting on the floor, like Lain did! I also used to have this bracelet that had a long grounding wire in it.

(Yikes...I'm old!)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

3 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

A Samsung Chromebook. :oh_golly: Unfortunately I haven’t even had a chance to really enjoy it, I’ve been very sick since I got it. 

I wish I was rich then I'd just build gaming pcs for anyone that does not have one and make there day! 

1 hour ago, Jon C said:

Yeah, it was an Optiplex GX1.

Those were decent little computers for homework/business use (sucked for gaming mostly) though some of em were plagued by the "capacitor plague" in the late 90's early 2000's

• Brohoof 2

The first PC we got was one of those giant block monitors. Computers were still new when we got it. I was really young.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

one of those giant block monitors

If it was a computer built into a monitor, then it was a Mac.

But we are talking CRT monitors here. I still have a huge working one:
pc1998_pII400.jpg

13 hours ago, Bas said:

heh, at my former workplace we found 3 GB HDDs. ._.

It is incredible that only 6 years after your computer, my first one in 2004 had at least 160 GB disk space if not even more.

My brother said to me when I told him about the HUGE hard drive

"You'll NEVER fill ten GB"

LOL!

5 minutes ago, Bas said:

Better connect that windows 3.1 to the internet, what could possibly go wrong? :umad:

Starlight Glimmer is acting as a firewall. I am protected.

16 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

My brother said to me when I told him about the HUGE hard drive

"You'll NEVER fill ten GB"

LOL!

Files sizes get more advanced and larger every year, it wont surprise me if in 20 years from now we have "Mega HD" Movies that take up an entire terabyte on a one petabyte drive!

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Blivy said:

Files sizes get more advanced and larger every year, it wont surprise me if in 20 years from now we have "Mega HD" Movies that take up an entire terabyte on a one petabyte drive!

This might sound a little strange, but have you ever just looked at a 128 GB thumb drive, and marvel at it containing DOZENS of HD movies? I grew up with VCRs. One thumb drive can replace a huge stack of VHS tapes!

20 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

This might sound a little strange, but have you ever just looked at a 128 GB thumb drive, and marvel at it containing DOZENS of HD movies? I grew up with VCRs. One thumb drive can replace a huge stack of VHS tapes!

I agree! a box of cheap two gb thumb drives could have thousands of movies on them! Now we just need flash storage like SSD's to get EVEN CHEAPER for like a tb as they are still like 150 bucks for a decent one. 

• Brohoof 1

We had a super old computer which didn't even run windows. It had dos and the screen was monochromatic. Like, black and orange.

We had test drive on it, but running the game was hellah complicated. You know, command lines to make the program run. It was a useless computer though it could be called a piece of history now.

Next computer we had was a build up one. It ran windows 98. We "upgraded" it to millenium and it sucked. Later on we got a few new components for it and changed to windows xp. It ran like a charm. So many good memories from it. I used emulators a lot and even started playing and later on making stuff with MUGEN on it. We have it stored at a ranch.

Now, the first computer I owned (that I could call my very own) was an old compaq laptop that could run windows 98. It was the computer I used during middle school to do hw and listen to music. It had nearly no disk space nor ram, but it got the job done though.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

We had a super old computer which didn't even run windows. It had dos and the screen was monochromatic. Like, black and orange.

First gen of IBM PCs had no graphics at all - screen was monochromatic and text only, with a switch on the monitor to change the text colour between white, green and orange. Later add-ons were the "hercules" graphics card, and the "soundblaster" sound card, which fitted in ISA slots and had to be configured by running a driver at the dos prompt with appropriate arguments for interrupt and slot number....

On the bright side though - if you didn't boot them to dos (floppy only, of course) they would boot into the BASIC programming language (but with no floppy support at all, making it hard to save programs you wrote)

I have a CGA card, some old games either require it (and just fail with a VGA card) or look better with CGA and a TV compared to VGA and a normal monitor.

The card is made such that it does not fit in a 16bit ISA slot.

• Brohoof 1

1st computer - Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k - Christmas 1982
image.thumb.png.4dcb2916b4b5ef200a5f8abfaa55a0a3.png

Manic Miner on the screen, sooo frustrating :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st PC - Amstrad 1512 (that had been upgraded to 640k RAM and a 3.5"FDD and a 20mb HDD :o ) - inherited it in the early 90's

S7301377.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

Mmm, CGA.

Had Prince of Persia^ and golf was erm, interesting in CGA :D

721157-pga-tour-golf-dos-screenshot-5th-

• Brohoof 1

On 2/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Splashee said:

But we are talking CRT monitors here. I still have a huge working one:

I am using the best monitor ever - Sony GDM-FW900. I would like to get a second one to have as a spare, but they are not easy to come by.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

My first pc had the following specs: Amd k5 pr133 - 100mhz, 8mb ram, 1mb video card, cd-rom, 14inch Hyundai crt,... The ram was later upgrade to 32mb and I also got a 3dfx voodoo 4mb graphic accelerator. I remember playing nfs 2 se and nfs 3. The visual effects were awesome. No more software rendering:)

2nd pc: Asus p2b, celeron 466, nvidia riva tnt 16mb, 128mb sdr ram, 10gb hdd, nokia 447zi, windows 98 and later win 2000.

3rd pc: Asus p4c800-e deluxe, pentium 4 3.2E, radeon 9800pro 128gb, 1gb ddr ram, at the beginning I had the same monitor as above later I got an acer al1751 lcd monitor, 160gb hitachi deskstar. Also I later upgraded the graphic card to a radeon x800 xt pe 256mb.

4th pc: Asus p5w dh deluxe, core 2 duo e6600, 2gb ddr2 ram, radeon x1650pro 256mb, 160gb hitachi deskstar.

5th pc: Asus p6x58d premium, i7 930, 6gb ddr3 ram, intel x25m g2 80gb ssd, 500gb wd blue hdd, radeon hd 5970 2gb, dell ultrasharp 2209wa.

Need to post my notebooks tomorrow as it's already quite late and need to go to bed.

• Brohoof 1

Technically my first computer was a Commodore 64. The first PC I totally own and was not in the "family's computer" set up was a Pentium 4 machine with a no-name case.

• Brohoof 1