PCutter

During which season did the fandom toxicity drive you away from watching the show any further, if at all?

Driven away  

43 members have voted

1. 1. During which season were you driven away from watching the show any further by the rampant fandom hate?

2. 2. How long were you driven away?

• Temporarily
    • Permanently
    • I never felt driven away

2 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Sadly, this is everywhere and you can only ignore it. 

Well Arthur Fleck is absolutely correct about this.

Have you seen what it's like out there, Murray? Do you ever actually leave the studio? Everybody just yells and screams at each other. Nobody's civil anymore. Nobody thinks what it's like to be the other guy. You think men like Thomas Wayne ever think what it's like to be someone like me? To be somebody but themselves? They don't. They think that we'll just sit there and take it, like good little boys! That we won't werewolf and go wild!

And yes, I love quoting Joker because he's right.

Badges

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Sadly, this is everywhere and you can only ignore it. 

Exactly. But like others have pointed out, such things are expected in many other communities...and I think people tend to really get hurt when it happens with us...we are celebrating an adorable and precious show about friendship and all of the virtues that make it possible...then bam! They're attacked for simple things like adoring Starlight Glimmer or cheering on Princess Twilight. Totally innocent interests crushed and thrown away. That's absolutely horrible.

Edited by Mirage

10 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Totally innocent interests crushed and thrown away. That's absolutely horrible.

Yea, for some reason some people are too serious about everything, as if they have nothing else to worry about. It's a TV show about talking ponies, why should it matter that somebody else likes some other talking pony or doesn't like your favorite? If someone bashed Twilight, I would be sad and would try to defend her, but not to the point of getting into a virtual fistfight.

I can understand arguments about politics and such getting heated - that stuff is important and if the "wrong" candidate is elected etc, it may negatively affect me as well. But not opinions about a cartoon.

It's the same reason why I do not understand the hardcore sports fans - if the basketball team of my city wins or loses, it does not really affect me, though it would be nice if they won. However, even if it mattered (let's say I placed a bet on them winning), getting into a fistfight with fans of the other team will not help my team in the least. 

Badges

(edited)
33 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

This is when the police should get involved. Chances are whoever sent the threat is not so well hidden.

However, you can always watch the show but not talk about it on the internet.

If I stopped watching a TV show or playing a game because I did not like some fans of that show or game, I would not be able to play or watch anything, since every single show has at least some fans who are also assholes.

I remember that person threatening me to accept that they're right, if I don't want my info out. That issue was in the past and it's been resolved. The S.O.B got what they deserved.

On the one hand I do watch shows/play games/read books and not go all out on the internet because I haven't the interest to talk about it online. But for some strange reason that I hate myself for not being able to explain, I have a hard time trying to understand that idea.

Edited by PCutter

Badges

Thank goodness the majority vote is I was never driven away.

I personally joined the fanbase in the time between Season 3 finale and the first Equestria Girls film. During the time when the more critical fans threatened to leave simply they didn't like Alicorn Twilight nor the Human alternative world, I stuck around because I just got started and I stayed through all the ups and downs of the show.

If you ask me, I think the more "toxic" fans who complained that certain "bad" episodes should never have existed are missing the point. Just like how real life works, there are always going to be bad "episodes" of human life and history. But when you reach a low moment, that just means you can only go back up to the "good" episodes of your life

And this applies to all fan bases, especially Star Wars given the recent circumstances.

It never happened to me. My experiences in the fandom have been mostly positive – of course, every fandom has some toxic fans in it, but I have been fortunate enough not to have to deal with many people like that.

But even if my experiences in the fandom had been more negative, I doubt I'd have let that ruin the show for me. I have watched many shows without participating in the fandom (in some cases, there wasn't even one), and I would most likely have done that with MLP in that case (especially since I had already seen one season of the show before my active participation in the fandom started).

On 2/17/2020 at 3:56 PM, PCutter said:

Am I weak for leaving for a while because I had to look after my health after all the drama from season 6 onwards?

No - I don't really get it, but if it's not fun anymore, why stay? 

I wasn't active for most of the fandom anyway, but even if I had been, I'm the type who usually enjoys Internet arguments. By the end, I was mainly watching the show because I was in the fandom... 

I started watching the show during season 7 and joined the fandom before season 9 and I never felt driven away. Some places are really negative to a ridiculous level(cough 4chan cough), but its not really that toxic, some individuals don't like some things  and that's okay, I won't lose sleep over this. Many times I find it even kinda amusing. If the fandom goes totally awful then I will just 8nteract less with the fans since there will be barely any interesting discussions but I won't stop loving the show just because of their opinions.

(edited)
7 hours ago, PCutter said:

And I completely hate those who say "So you left because people around you were toxic. Grow some balls and take it like a real man." Do not make me go how many times I've been called a "f*cking p*ssy" for speaking up what I think of the matter.

Oof. Hope you blocked them. Can't believe anyone would mock someone from stepping away from a toxic situation, but some people are just insensitive.

7 hours ago, PCutter said:

I'm still a p*ssy for refusing to be a part of the negativity?

Nah. Of course not. Unfortunately, some people really thrive and get caught up in being cruel. Super scary that you got super personal death threats. I hope you talked to someone irl about that.

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

6 hours ago, PCutter said:

But then in my case, those death threats included my VERY personal info, even though I've taken every precaution to keep myself hidden.

Not particularly no. You certainly disclose enough personal information on this site giving people almost enough information to start a search. It’s a double edged sword when you start seeking mental health and life advice on an Internet forum, you risk disclosing too much personally. You need to be more careful with you information online. End of story. 

And I completely hate those who say "So you left because people around you were toxic. Grow some balls and take it like a real man." Do not make me go how many times I've been called a "f*cking p*ssy" for speaking up what I think of the matter.

So I'm supposed to be a "good little boy" and shut up and sit down and take everything as is and let them talk sh*t at me? Is that how every person of a 7 billion population should go about everything? I'm not supposed to get angry and go werewolf? I'm still a p*ssy for refusing to be a part of the negativity?

You should ignore them if you can’t engage without going into a destructive  mindset yourself. Full stop. I mean, if you need validation from strangers on the internet, that’s a you thing. And from what I can tell you aren’t refusing to be a part of the negativity. You created this thread and even bit back at the relatively benign suggestions to NOT PARTICIPATE. Friendly warning, tone down the language a little and the most vitriol. It’s a cartoon and you are discussing it in a forum with strangers. Take a deep breath and relax. 

This topic’s general self-indulgence does make me bristle from the obviousness of it, but I’ll let it stay open for the interim. 

Have you seen what it's like out there, Murray? Do you ever actually leave the studio? Everybody just yells and screams at each other. Nobody's civil anymore. Nobody thinks what it's like to be the other guy. You think men like Thomas Wayne ever think what it's like to be someone like me? To be somebody but themselves? They don't. They think that we'll just sit there and take it, like good little boys! That we won't werewolf and go wild!

And yes, I love quoting Joker because he's right.

His fatalistic nihilism was actually the wrong way to look at it, and his comments are in dispute by the nature of the framing device used in the film. I digress. Ignoring the point of that film and refocusing on the world at hand and the current state of various fandoms, it really isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. Not even close. It can be online, but even in a country where 50% of the population seems to be diametrically opposed to the world view of the other half, the truth is that IRL behaviors of most people are benign and shifts between friendly indifference and casual acknowledgement. Very few people are blatantly rude. 

A cynical or toxic mindset will usually focus on those unfortunate experiences as the norm when they are far from. And before you suggest it, the internet, far from its ubiquitous nature, is not the standard level of social interaction once finds in the real world. 

Fans are a bonus unattached to the show. If assholes in the fandom were the reason for me to say, “I quit!” to a show I love so dearly, then I risk coloring my own outlook on other products beyond this, making me wonder if I truly enjoy it as much as I claim.

Wouldn't it be a near perfect world if we could align our every perception with reality...

When your feelings are hurt, whether it be in person or on the internet, your mentality shifts about everything around you. This is commonly experienced as 'a bad mood'. We don't isolate our reactions to the thing that triggered it - our feelings bleed into everything, and can even consume us. Our experiences can have a tremendous effect on everything about us - whether they are reasonable reactions or not. Quitting the 'fandom' can certainly lead to quitting the show. The show could just serve as a painful reminder, so why bother with it? It's just a show...

Therefore, such a demarcation doesn't explain why any of us are here in the first place.

So you might laugh at the 'deplorable immature idiocy' of a teenager slitting their wrists over an Instagram post - but it happens. You might find it incomprehensible that a kid shoots up a school because he was lonely - but it happens.

Whether you are on the internet or in person - treat others with as much love and kindness you can. This world is tired of reasons - what it needs is effort to make others smile and feel appreciated. Everything else will find its place.

16 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Whether you are on the internet or in person - treat others with as much love and kindness you can. This world is tired of reasons - what it needs is effort to make others smile and feel appreciated. Everything else will find its place.

I love this :coco:

It depends on what part of the fandom you hang out at. Ironically the anons from 4chan are far less toxic than most of the stepford smillers you see in family friendly sites. I distanced myself greatly from the amino communities. Buncha glass snowflakes being ungodly "kind" but backstabbin' each other far too often.

As a former underdog back up performer, I can tell you most of the bigger figures in the musical scene are arses you would rather not get to actually know. I get it, we have personas as musicians. One can't be all that truth to itself when trying to sell one's music and make it big, but some people are really polar on their true selves and their public image. I had the biggest disappointment last year and I tell you, everypony is better off not getting to know the musical stars they admire. It gets even weirder when you come to realize a huge amount of musicians are SJW who preach on pony lessons and tolerance but it's bad to not be 100% supportive of the LGBTIQ movement and differing the littlest bit on it can get you cancelled from supporting roles on live shows and even in collaborative musical projects.

However, honestly, nothing in the fandom drew me away from watching the show. I got distant for a while but because my life project fell appart like a dusty cookie and it was unrelated to the fandom.

Badges

This fandom isn't that toxic in my opinion especially compared to the RWBY or MHA fandom.

Never felt driven away, maybe it’s a big part that the only major toxicity I’ve dealt with was the S3 finale and EG in such a short order. However:

1-I’ve practically just joined the fandom. About mid S3, so too early to start being affected by the toxicity

2-I actually had fun with the Waifu thief rants :mlp_icwudt:

6 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

everypony is better off not getting to know the musical stars they admire

Or not caring about them. If I like some artist, it means I like his or her performances, not necessarily political views and such. In fact, I do not care about their political views at all - just because someone can sing the songs I like does not give them authority on politics etc, however, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I sometimes say that if I found out that a musician I like has murdered someone, I would want them to be in jail, but would not stop listening to their records.

7 hours ago, Mirage said:

So you might laugh at the 'deplorable immature idiocy' of a teenager slitting their wrists over an Instagram post - but it happens. You might find it incomprehensible that a kid shoots up a school because he was lonely - but it happens.

IMO both examples are of poor mental health or the people were raised being too protected, both of those people should have been noticed and got some psychiatric help (well, at least the first one didn't kill others). A lot of bad stuff happens because people overreact severely or are just mentally deficient.

You cannot pad every corner in the whole world because someone may hit it and injure themselves. If someone is so fragile as to kill himself over a post on the internet, what would happen if someone (a disgruntled client etc) would say the same thing (or worse), but in person? 

Badges

I didn't know the MLP G4 fandom ever become toxic.

I just fell out of the show after season 3, and got back again after I saw Forgotten Friendship. That is quite a break. I did watch the Season 5 100th episode, as well as CMC getting their cutie marks, at the time they aired, but that was all.

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

2-I actually had fun with the Waifu thief rants :mlp_icwudt:

Yeah.

Me personally I never hated Flash Sentry and always saw him as a nice guy to begin with. And I'm actually glad that in the past few years he did got a little more respect among the fan base

For me the show != fandom, if some people chose to be toxic, it's their decision. Ofc the last seasons were not as good as the beginning, but hey, S1 came with the feeling of something new. I never stopped watching it, and will watch the new generation too.

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

IMO both examples are of poor mental health or the people were raised being too protected, both of those people should have been noticed and got some psychiatric help (well, at least the first one didn't kill others). A lot of bad stuff happens because people overreact severely or are just mentally deficient.

You cannot pad every corner in the whole world because someone may hit it and injure themselves. If someone is so fragile as to kill himself over a post on the internet, what would happen if someone (a disgruntled client etc) would say the same thing (or worse), but in person? 

Yes I agree. However, my point was our own behavior does have an impact on others, and trying to brush aside extreme behavior as 'irrational' just doesn't help any. We are all irrational to some extent. But we can decide to at least try to make people we engage feel respected and appreciated, rather than rush to judgement simply because they don't have the right opinions.

I've met some precious, socially awkward members here. At first glance they seem really strange and incoherent. But once I talked to them more, they eventually reveal they have clinically diagnosed conditions, and then it's all more clear. Interactions become better and they feel more comfortable knowing there are others willing to understand.

So while I understand it's not our responsibility to take care of people here per se, showing some willingness to cooperate with their yearning for friendship, as limited as it may be, goes a long way to giving them positive feelings about themselves, and the community as a whole, which will certainly mitigate any potential self doubt to the point of dramatic outbursts of divorce or retaliation.

Mental conditions are not entirely physiological, they are also tragically related to experiences. How we treat others matters. The internet, in a rather devious way, makes us think what we type is not going to come back to us, or worse, is not going to traumatize someone else. Those assumptions are false. How we treat others, even if they are strangers, does matter. It matters a lot.

There is no mental screening that goes on here. You don't know how unstable someone might be. So, you can either assume the bully role and if they don't 'fit in' to your liking you just ignore them or make them feel small and ashamed by talking down to them. Being ignored is hurtful, and being treated like you're a worthless pile dung is worse.

Therefore why not err on the side of being kind. Is it so hard? Is it really so hard to just be friendly and acknowledge others' existence here? We have a common interest...should be easy to give a reaction here or there, let them know people are at the very least reading their posts.

The Welcome Mat should be the busiest forum. But only a small handful of members are regulars there.

So, while my own participation is hit or miss, because I have a business to run and all that, I'm trying to be a better member. I care about this community. I think it's special. I want it to be the place we all dream for it to be.

6 minutes ago, Mirage said:

We have a common interest...should be easy to give a reaction here or there, let them know people are at the very least reading their posts.

Reactions are a new thing for me. For many years I have been an active member on some forum or another, but IIRC I found reactions here for the first time, so I do not really see the point of them, well, other than clicking "brohoof" instead of writing "I agree with that post and have nothing to add". So yea, you won't see me giving out many reactions.

As for the rest of your post, I try to not be a bully, but I also try to not "wrap words in wool" (or whatever the equivalent English expression is), because this is how I would like people to talk to me - say it straight instead of saying something positive etc, while laughing at me behind my back. But mostly I just try to avoid drama if I can.

While I see no point in being antagonistic just because and think that people should treat other people with respect (even if they disagree, after all, we can have rather civil discussions in the debate section), but anyone going on the internet and especially to forums and similar should know that there may be bad events. After all, the internet is not only full of strangers, but anonymous strangers. So, everyone should act accordingly. After all, we do not know each other personally, maybe IRL we both are completely different and our posts here are just an act... Everyone should be extremely careful because of this.

Badges

(edited)
16 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Fans are a bonus unattached to the show. If assholes in the fandom were the reason for me to say, “I quit!” to a show I love so dearly, then I risk coloring my own outlook on other products beyond this, making me wonder if I truly enjoy it as much as I claim.

So I should've let them kick me around until I reach some breaking point where I do something I'll regret, realizing that my love for something should not be the only thing that drives me? That my health in those horrible times was inconsequential whether or not the attention something received was not unwarranted?

In short, my health never mattered then and never matters now?

Edited by PCutter

Badges

5 minutes ago, PCutter said:

So I should've let them kick me around until I reach some breaking point where I do something I'll regret, realizing that my love for something should not be the only thing that drives me?

Who was kicking you around? Did they come to your house etc to kick you. Or was this online in some forum?

To each his own, but I would just stop going to the forum or would block those users if they were sending me emails etc. If they were coming to my house, then I would call the police. 

Whether I watch some TV show or not is nobody's business and I can watch said show at home without the people I dislike finding out.

I have watched a lot of TV shows without participating in the fandom in the slightest, I think MLP is the first time I joined a TV-show themed forum.

Badges