Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your reactions/thoughts on COVID-19

FirePuppy

About this coronavirus -- it's SUPER-DEADLY! Trust me, this is not something you want to catch.

Even though it all started in Wuhan, Hubei, China, it's expanded to other places like Taikyu, Tokyo, all of Singapore, and even the United States (mostly in California)! And it's just getting worse. So worse that eventually, there might not even be a G5 of My Little Pony due to all the responses and measures we'll be getting by then.

Edited by FirePuppy

Sounds scary. My reactions/thoughts are, stay safe! Don't catch it.

How blown up is this in the media? I haven't heard about it until now. I heard about something in China, but that was all. Media likes to scare people, to benefit advertising.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

there might not even be a G5 of My Little Pony due to all the responses and measures we'll be getting by then.

What. :wacko: 

Anyway, people should definitely get themselves tested ASAP if they’re showing systems and have been to China recently/had contact with someone who’s been in China, but the coronavirus isn’t all that deadly if you’re not elderly or have a weak immune system. People with some kind of existing condition are the most at risk, which is still scary but it’s not worth freaking out over...

If there's two things always left out of the news about outbreaks like this, they are the human immune system and treatment methods.

It's important to consider that your immune system can defeat corona viruses. All a virus does is attack tissue to get inside of cells and reproduce its RNA. This can happen very rapidly in unhealthy tissue where the immune system cannot send its army of helper and killer cells to destroy infected cells and carry away the waste.

The harsh reality of nature is, organisms like bacteria and viruses are opportunistic, and they will overwhelm and kill unhealthy plants and animals. That is their job, and a very important one.

Anyway, your immune system can learn how to detect and destroy the 2019-nCoV just as easily as it could the common cold. It just so happens that 2019-nCoV seems to attack the respiratory system aggressively, and so it shouldn't be a surprise that many are dying in already polluted areas.

We also need to consider that Medical Doctors don't always treat virus infections effectively. I don't know how Chinese MDs actually treat the condition, but there are many, many things to consider when treating someone with pneumonia. The science of treatment is still under a lot of changes as they learn that some of their treatments were NOT effective, like pumping too much oxygen into the patient which eventually would cause their alveoli to collapse or rupture. Medical Doctors are in a continual state of experimentation when it comes to treatments like this...and who knows what the Chinese actually do, since treatment requires hour by hour decision making if the condition is severe.

All in all, I have no worry of it, and if you're healthy, you really shouldn't either. The ONLY way to overcome a viral infection is your own immune system. So take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Things that weaken your immune system:

- toxic environment

- medications (especially 'cold' medicines)

- stress

- lack of sleep

- shallow breathing (see stress)

- refined sugars and carbs and alcohol (candy, donuts, etc)

- malnutrition

- antibiotics

- dehydration

Things that strengthen it:

- fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds (ie trace minerals, fiber, vitamins, etc)

- getting sick

- consistent hydration

- good sleeping habits

- positive attitude

- clean environment

If you get sick:

- eat healthy food when you're hungry

- drink lots of fluids, like water and natural juice

- stay warm (sweating is good, stay hydrated)

- do not try to reduce your fever...your immune system needs a fever in order to weaken the viruses and strengthen their own reproduction. As long as you stay hydrated, sickness induced fevers are not dangerous.

- hot and cold presses on sore/swollen areas

- hot baths

- rest (this is vital. Your body is literally trying to save itself from something that can kill it. The more rest you get, the more energy and resources your body can reserve for your immune cells which must be able to reproduce extremely rapidly to fight infection)

- water vapor and steams (breathing in water vapor helps to keep your lungs and throat from drying out and becoming 'constipated' with puss and waste materials from dead cells and dead viruses. Dehydration will lead irritation, which will lead to pneumonia, which is how most people die from corona viruses.

- coughing, running nose, sweating, aching, throwing up, diarrhea, etc are all ways your body cleans itself - don't try to stop these symptoms, they are saving your life (stay hydrated)

Consult with your doctor for diagnosis. Consult with your doctor if you ever experience anything you don't understand (super high fever, fainting, etc). Also, if you have a disease or auto-immune disorder or take medications for allergies, you need to see your doctor if you ever get sick (though the advice above will still help).

Stats:

14,000 people (including children) have died from the 2019 flu virus (this is about average, 10k-20k people die every year from the common cold)

774 people died from SARS (a similar corona virus outbreak in 2003 - this was considered a 'pandemic'!)

1018 people have died from 2019-nCoV (only 1 death outside of China)

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200211-sitrep-22-ncov.pdf

In my opinion, many of those deaths are from ill-treatment/pre-existing disease, not the condition. Please, don't panic. Just take good care of yourself.

Edited by Mirage
  • Brohoof 2

People should be cautious like with any other virus use proper hygiene and do not panic. Also the media has blown it out of proportion you are far more likely to get Influenza than this virus.  Also if someone who is Chinese but has not been to china in a long time they are no more likely to have the virus than any other ethnicity so try not to make them feel like outsiders because of this. 

I'm not really afraid of it. Of course, I'll try my best to avoid it – I wouldn't travel to any place where a lot of people have caught it. But there will always be illnesses that spread very fast – I can remember all the talk about SARS, bird flu, swine flu, many others that I've probably forgotten. I don't think letting the stress take over does any good.

And to be honest, I don't see why it would have any effect on MLP. Unless everyone working on the show got it, and at that point, there would be a lot more to worry about than cartoons.

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

Even though it all started in Wuhan, Hubei, China, it's expanded to other places like Taikyu, Tokyo, all of Singapore, and even the United States (mostly in California)! And it's just getting worse. So worse that eventually, there might not even be a G5 of My Little Pony due to all the responses and measures we'll be getting by then.

Super Deadly? Its mortality rate in CHINA where the environment is toxic is only 2% and most of those are people with other health issues. Any claims otherwise does not compute with basic math of numbers of people reported with the virus vs those who have died. 

Will stop G5? Please provide any proof of that.

In short this is chicken little the sky is falling stuff that is more dangerous then the virus itself 

• Brohoof 2

They say that Singapore is in danger due to having a ton of Chinese from China. And Singapore is not that far from here. Aaand the country's goverment is seriously losing control over everything (actually no, they are totally in control. They just are not made for this job. To think he was such a good (at least people say he was) PM back then). Just stop bringing in people. That was how tge virus leaked in in the first place. Luckily, we still are able to contain it.

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

About this coronavirus -- it's SUPER-DEADLY!

12 hours ago, Jedishy said:

Super Deadly? Its mortality rate in CHINA where the environment is toxic is only 2% and most of those are people with other health issues. Any claims otherwise does not compute with basic math of numbers of people reported with the virus vs those who have died. 

Pretty much Jedi voiced all my thoughts. People fell victim to media propaganda and swallowed the overblown lies as one and objective truth without paying any interest into statistical data or historical outbreaks.

To add to Jedi's, the mortality rate goes up with age quite statistically. The highest percentage was observed in people above 70yo.

Okay - as more facts are gathering, I think it's time to re-assess the risks. I learned two things today which concern me -

- The WHO says that there are increased cases with 'no epidemiological link'. That means, people are getting the virus and they don't know how they got it.

- Apparently the virus is causing myocarditis, which is inflammation of the heart muscle, which can cause permanent damage, and eventually death. This is extremely rare for a virus. Without getting too involved in physiology, I'll just say that viral infections to the heart are near impossible and only extremely rare viruses can do this.

Still, please don't panic. The deaths reported from the virus don't ever seem to include other pre-existing conditions the patient may have had, and so, I believe many of these deaths reported are because the infected were already of ill health. This is not unusual, as I'm sure most of you have known someone who has passed away from the flu because they were already very sick to begin with. Even China is reporting only a 2% fatality.

Because governments are lying, and because the media is stupid, we need to assume that not all the facts are out there. Nevertheless, don't buy into the hype that this is some crazy dramatic contagion that's going to kill you. All virus infections are dangerous, but we take them for granted because a vast majority of us can recover just fine without hospitalization.

At this point, I think it's likely many more people are going to catch this virus. So the best way to prepare is to stay healthy. If you haven't stayed true to your New Year's resolution, try again! :D

Chances are you'll be okay, but to be safe, get ready. Stay hydrated...this cannot be overstated. 64oz of water per day is a good measure. Cut back on junk food. Exercise. Breath deep and slow 3 times a day for a minute or two to refresh your lungs with new air. Personally, I don't take extreme measures to avoid infection, getting sick is okay. It's not convenient and it's not comfortable, but it's actually good to get sick because your immune system will get stronger, provided you are taking good care of yourself.

I watch this doctor regularly - he's a good source for the facts.

On 2/21/2020 at 4:11 PM, Jedishy said:

Will stop G5? Please provide any proof of that.

In short this is chicken little the sky is falling stuff that is more dangerous then the virus itself 

I agree. I think @FirePuppy is unnecessarily causing a panic. He didn't even put sources up to back up his claim on how deadly it is

The important thing is to keep calm and keep washing your hands and clean up messes to minimize risk. And follow your local doctor's orders There's a difference between informing people of health risk and causing unnecessary panics.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I am a bit germophobic, so this is really frightening. I tell you what though. I had Chinese food yesterday, because stupid people are hurting restaurant business because they think anyone of Chinese origin automatically has it. That just dumb!

Yeah a lot of local Chinese restaurants around here are losing business because of this. Some might even go out of business because of it. 

27 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I am a bit germophobic, so this is really frightening. I tell you what though. I had Chinese food yesterday, because stupid people are hurting restaurant business because they think anyone of Chinese origin automatically has it. That just dumb!

What terrible logic. Next thing the fearmongers will be saying video game consoles can spread the virus just because they are made in China. The reality is Viruses needs a human host to spread and getting something like a new Nintendo Switch is no more riskier than getting one if there wasn't a virus

35 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

The reality is Viruses needs a human host to spread and getting something like a new Nintendo Switch is no more riskier than getting one if there wasn't a virus

To be fair, different viruses/bacteria survive outside the body for different times (and it also depends on the temperature etc). It seems that this virus can only survive for a few hours outside the body though. Still, I would not want to stay in a hotel room where an infected person stayed the night before.

6 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

To be fair, different viruses/bacteria survive outside the body for different times (and it also depends on the temperature etc). It seems that this virus can only survive for a few hours outside the body though. Still, I would not want to stay in a hotel room where an infected person stayed the night before.

Point, but let's not cause unnecessary panic. Just keep calm and do the usual things like wash your hands, eat healthy, and excercise within your limits and if your doctor gives orders, follow them

Just now, Will Guide said:

Point, but let's not cause unnecessary panic.

I agree, but if someone is worried about things being infected (and it's a legitimate concern, seems like rotavirus, for example, can survive pretty long outside the body), he should read on how long the virus can survive outside the body and wait longer than that before touching it or clean the item with alcohol or some other disinfectant.

Still, if it takes a month for the package to arrive from China, even if the item was made by an infected person, the virus would be dead by then. 

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

Sunlight kills viruses due to the ultraviolet. This might sound over cautions, but when I go grocery shopping, I always grab a cart that was sitting out in direct sunlight. Then wipe down the handlebar with the sanitary wipes Shoprite provides. 

The information on SARS-COV-2 is still very limited, sadly getting accurate information out of Mainland China is tough as nails. Now we have another massive increase of cases and fatalities a day after numbers were supposedly stabilizing.

The scariest part is how massively infectious it seems to be, quite a lot higher than the flu in fact. Italy experienced a massive influx of cases in the last couple days as well. 

The myth of hundreds of thousands of “mild cases” plummeting case fatality numbers into an influenza-like range may finally be put to bed by data coming out of South Korea the Diamond Princess cruise ship in the coming week. This may take another 1-2 weeks as the disease has to run its course before we can take the data of these cases fully into account.

For people who aren't in the affected areas there's not really any reason to panic, for now all we can do is the best prevention at hand, and wait and see how this epidemic develops. 

Edited by Guest

Super deadly is vastly overstating the actual impact. At the time of this writing, according to these stats (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/), less than 3000 have died. While there is a mortality rate, it is not as high as the fearmongers would have you believe. It's something to watch out for but the chances of dying from it seem quite low. And that doesn't factor into account the conditions of who died from this either.

This is no 1918 Flu pandemic.

• Brohoof 1

I don’t tend to panic over things I have no control over. I simply do my best to take what defensive measures I can. I’m an obsessive germophobe as it is so I already do everything I can to avoid anything that can adversely affect my health. Worrying about it any further isn’t going to help.  

• Brohoof 3