Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you don't get why they are popular?

Reecejackox

Gyms, yeah like literally I believe in the temple of iron yes. However so many go to the gym only for what instagram post you often see people more focued on getting a picture of their luscious bootays rather then actually you know exercise.

You fools, the temple of iron can also be done at home all you need is gym equipment most of which actually not that expensive.

Though yeah people going to the gym for two months then acting as if they suddenly care about their health. If you truly believe in exercising you'd do it every day. You do not have to go to the gym and you do not need to take gym selfies. Nobody like literally nobody cares what you're doing do you realize how insignificant your selfie is compared to actually focusing on exercising.

Adventure Time. And even more so than that, Regular Show. I made it through a few episodes of Adventure Time, but it took approximately seven seconds before I was resolved to throttle Mordecai and Rigby.

• Brohoof 1

Fortnite! I mean the graphics are not good the gameplay is stupid IMO! 

33814884_402733963537278_1530665892629708800_n.jpg

Edit; Basically I think now days they are marketing games way too much to the general population instead of pushing the limits like they used to. 

Tik Tok. It's utterly so stupid and 90% of the people on there are teenage girls with barely any clothes on. It's honestly kind of disgusting lol. I was on Tik Tok a couple years ago and I didn't like it at all so I deleted it. 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Blivy said:

Fortnite! I mean the graphics are not good the gameplay is stupid IMO! 

33814884_402733963537278_1530665892629708800_n.jpg

Edit; Basically I think now days they are marketing games way too much to the general population instead of pushing the limits like they used to. 

I'm not saying you have to like Fortnite (I don't play it, either), but the image is kind of... I don't know to put it? - inaccurate, biased? Like, there have always been games with cartoony graphics. There are still plenty of games out there going for hyper-realistic graphic styles. Just because you can find one really popular game with cartoony graphics doesn't mean that's representative of everything today.

1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Tik Tok. It's utterly so stupid and 90% of the people on there are teenage girls with barely any clothes on. 

I think thats the point. Its a disgusting culture we live in.

Jojo siwa. I not sure what exactly it is. All I've seen is the merch. Its ugly and in some cases terrifying. 

On 2/23/2020 at 11:41 AM, Dustlicious said:

Mobile games. They ALL suck... Well, Angry Birds was actually not TERRIBLE.. But Flappy Bird? Candy Crush? Terrible is an understatement.

Most mobile games are supposed to be rather mindless time-wasters; so I’m not inclined to think they are “terrible” as they do their job adequately. 

However, and to expand on this, I do wonder how the in-game purchase system that they often employ should have even worked as a business model in the first place. A consumer who uses it defies any notion of economic rationality (and maybe a little irrationality)—(1) the virtual “bomb” or whatever itself is not transferable (so it only has value within the game), (2) since mobile games in the main are mere time-wasters, using it isn’t expected to improve performance in other areas of life, and (3) it’s a shining example of artificial scarcity, as the marginal cost to produce that “bomb” is near zero (and the initial development likely didn’t take much effort/cost either), you’d think the consumer would perceive almost any price as a rip-off (especially where the game itself is free as sort of a inverse sunk-cost fallacy) and never purchase in the first place.

I’m sure there’s some sound psychological justification for all of this, but whatever it is, it seems to be based on the most wasteful of human impulses that you had thought we had taught our children to keep in check (except perhaps that a lot of those purchasers are children!). 

K-pop. I think the industry is incredibly cruel to the performers. And the fanbase... good lord, the fanbase... for a brief time I started using Twitter again and you won't believe the amount of spam that K-pop "stans" will post on stuff that's completely unrelated. And there appears to be a fair amount of toxicity. If you like, dancing, great. If you like somebody's music, that's valid. But I struggle to comprehend how spamming "fan cams" is going to effectively promote your idol.

The music itself isn't necessarily terrible. TVXQ has some bangers and CNBLUE manages to resonate with me to some extent. But the greater K-pop fanbase is such a turn-off.

5 hours ago, OptimisticNeighsayer said:

I do wonder how the in-game purchase system that they often employ should have even worked as a business model in the first place.

It actually does make sense.

First you give them a game where the early levels are reasonably easy, give them a success accolade for beating those, leading to a dopamine response like a mini-drug-hit - each time they succeed. There was a StarTrek TNG episode where they exploited the same idea to turn the entire crew into dopamine response junkies.

But then, you make levels progressively harder to the point they are almost literally impossible without some of the in-game boosts... which of course are thin on the ground. But they can buy some, for real-world cash, and use that boost to get a bit further and earn a "hit" - but its more and more money for less and less advancement every time.

And of course it gets even more productive if the games are online/multiplayer - they get the "hit" of having beaten other real players, when in fact they have just outspent them.

19 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Adventure Time. And even more so than that, Regular Show. I made it through a few episodes of Adventure Time, but it took approximately seven seconds before I was resolved to throttle Mordecai and Rigby.

what episodes of adventure time did you watch?

1 hour ago, Olly said:

what episodes of adventure time did you watch?

Don’t know the titles. I know I watched the one with the weird cat thing that had a chunk of it’s arm missing. Watched the Lemongrab debut one. Watched the one where Finn meets Fire Princess. Definitely watched the one that showed Marceline and Ice King’s connection.

Elements of the show were sometimes appealing, but overall, didn’t really enjoy myself.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/13/2020 at 4:43 PM, ShadOBurn🔥 said:

Don’t know the titles. I know I watched the one with the weird cat thing that had a chunk of it’s arm missing. Watched the Lemongrab debut one. Watched the one where Finn meets Fire Princess. Definitely watched the one that showed Marceline and Ice King’s connection.

Elements of the show were sometimes appealing, but overall, didn’t really enjoy myself.

My favorite episode is "Puhoy" maybe you should give it a try? adventure time has depth to it, delivered in a sort of silly and simple, unique way. It appeals to people for it's intelligence and uniqueness too, beyond the surface level things, comedy and such. 

3 hours ago, Olly said:

My favorite episode is "Puhoy" maybe you should give it a try? adventure time has depth to it, delivered in a sort of silly and simple, unique way. It appeals to people for it's intelligence and uniqueness too, beyond the surface level things, comedy and such. 

It doesn’t appeal to me.

• pewdiepie. seriously, what is it that several millions of people love about this guy? he's not very funny, he's not an especially good person (not saying he's a bad person tho), he's obviously not informative in any way... frankly, he just seems like a normal, kinda charismatic guy, and the fact that he has more than a few 100k subscribers is baffling to me
  • fidget spinners. yes i know they were a trend that lasted like two seconds in 2017 and are completely irrelevant again now but they're literally just toys that spin
  • pop music. it's just trash. the only half decent pop song i've heard is 'come together' by the beatles