Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What does the monster under your bed look like?

Muffinnz

Describe what you thought the monster under you bed look liked when you were little (or currently).

I used to imagine a white or black figure with sharp teeth, a creepy smile, sharp nails, and blood shot eyes. He also never blinks. I used to think it was staring at me.

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1

The bed was never really an issue. I grew up with a loft bed or when I was at my grandma's I played on the bedroom floor, so that was never a place for anything to hide. When I was 4, my mom made me a monster spray with a bit of lemon juice in some water. I also had my nightlight's to keep the darkness at bay. I was an early reader, so would often fall asleep to whatever was on the pages before me rather than the cursed thoughts within my own head. That isn't to say there were visions I didn't fear.

When I was 4 I had a dream about death, as a character. The concept didn't really take hold for a couple more years and that began a different sort of terror. I also saw an image of Santa of all things when we lived elsewhere that same year I think. We had just come home and the lights hadn't been turned on yet, but I saw this thing floating there in the corner. What I saw wasn't what scared me, it was the fact that I was seeing it, and knowing it shouldn't and couldn't have truly been there. It was winter but it wasn't the holiday season at this time. When I was 6 I once dreamt that my first step father was a vampire with glowing yellow eyes, and that made me uncomfortable around him for a short period. He'd never done anything to hurt me, but that fictitious version of him had, and it's difficult to look at a trusted face after something like that when you're so young. I would also stay at ym grandma's on the weekends and if we got back late then I would picture something like a werewolf in the shadows of the tall trees on her property.

That didn't last long though. I was aware that it was all in my imagination, and I learned to appreciate the beauty of apex predators and all of their savagery. The darkness may have been home to monsters, but I could conjure up far worse creatures in my mind, and soon I was the scariest thing to be found :LunaMCM:

• Brohoof 1

I never thought I had a monster underneath my bed or in my closet. If anything, I thought monsters/demons lived in my basement when nighttime came. Hell, to this day, I still run up the stairs as fast as I can at night because I am paranoid that something will grab me.

A long time ago I once had a teacher tell a story about a friend of hers, who had to take care of her little sisters while her parents were out. One night they were all staying something room and before they were about to sleep, suddenly the oldest sister decided to get everyone outside to check if the gate was locked. She would wind up locking them all outside, she would then call the cops.

Turned out she saw the reflection of a stranger who broke into their house, hiding under her bed.

Admittedly that story has made me paranoid ever since

When I was younger, I imagined that it would be like Wall Masters or Floor Masters from The Legend of Zelda series. Seriously, those things still give me the creeps.

• Brohoof 1

I had imagination as a kid, but I never really knew where that imagination would manifest.

Most of the time, my imagination was practically made for fanfiction. If I liked a TV show and had action figures? I could come up with all kinds of crazy stories. I could make crossovers you might never see in comics, TV shows, or anything! (Batman, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Captain Planet, He-Man, and Spider-Man all joining forces to fight a common bad guy? Heck yeah!) But imaginary friends? No. Just didn't have enough imagination to do that. If I even tried, I'd forget I even made one the next day.

The same is true for a lot of things.
Legos? I could follow instructions like a boss, but had no idea where to begin if I was trying to make something original. Playdoh? I could maybe copy what other people were doing or use the playsets, but make something original? No way.

Point is, I never really was afraid of any possible monsters under my bed, in my closet, or anything like that.
If I even tried to imagine one on purpose, it probably wouldn't have a form.
Something with one solid form can be examined with science; the mystery can be taken out of it.
But something with no form? Something that is pure darkness like a shadow, can shape itself into any form recognizable or otherwise, one that can take the shape of any fear you might have... That's the closest thing to a "boogie man" I would ever imagine. It's both scary, yet uninspired at the same time.

• Brohoof 1

As a kid I did not have great imagination (don't have it now either) and I do not remember thinking that there is some monster in my house. Well, the only time I was afraid of something I couldn't see was a few hours after watching a horror movie - then I was somewhat afraid of the scary thing in the movie, be it ghost, a serial killer etc.

I didn't have imaginary friends as well. I don't think I can even visualize something (with the exception of plans and circuit diagrams), for example, I have no idea how a MLP pony would look in real life.

3 minutes ago, WinterMane said:

No monster, just a very sharp guillotine blade that would slice off my hands and/or feet if they were sticking over the edge of the bed.

Or that the bed had some sort of force field as long as you did not go over the edge.

35 minutes ago, Dabmanz said:

Or that the bed had some sort of force field as long as you did not go over the edge.

At one point I had something similar! Except if the force field activated while my hands/feet were outside, it would of course slice them off.

I was much more concerned with my extremities being amputated back then than I am now, clearly. Dunno if that's a good thing.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, WinterMane said:

At one point I had something similar! Except if the force field activated while my hands/feet were outside, it would of course slice them off.

I was much more concerned with my extremities being amputated back then than I am now, clearly. Dunno if that's a good thing.

For me it was just an invisible laser that activated. But the laser only existed on the outside of the force field.

I never had a physical representation of it and I never believe in one until I accidentally watch the trailer of this movie, Congkak, where this character got drag under the bed. And even then, I only imagine it to be black with at least a large hand. I am not too sure if I actually believe in it or not, but I definitely could no longer walk infront of beds with empty spaces underneath.

Honestly I have thought the monster beneath my bed was different. Sometimes it is hairy, other times had scales. Heck sometimes I thought it was a vampire or an alien. Sometimes some black creature. Though I actually more fear a monster out of the closet or hanging from the ceiling rather than the monsters beneath my bed., 

• 2 months later...

Hmm it never went away I can see it creeping in the shadows of the corner of my room a develish outline of something that looks to be a face yet it never has actually gotten close enough I can hear it tapping right over my head to remind it's always watching. Eyes always on me as I feel a presence that is desiring something evil taller then my doorway it always stays in the dark. When I close my eyes I can hear the tapping always taps right above my head tap tap tap I hear it talk to me telling me to look it taps always taps three times I sense the weight it is why I always have to sleep with something over my head it won't shut up. Nothing it has to say is pleasant.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Mine was a phantom and always whispered to me when I was in bed. I called it “Foopa” because that was the sound it made. In reality I think it was the heater in my room kicking on. But I remember visualizing him and seeing a smokey apparition devoid of all facial features and tangibility.

Thinking back on it still feels eerie. If it really WAS a monster I guess he just got bored of me. Wonder if he’s social distancing lately.

• Brohoof 1