Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Are you afraid of getting the coronavirus?

Muffinnz

Until I hear very numerous reports of people getting the coronavirus near where I live, I'm not going to let this coronavirus outbreak worry me. I understand that it is very problematic and catastrophic, but there is no sense in worrying about something that's not a threat to me yet.

• Brohoof 1

Sadly it's coming closer and closer to me. There is a confirmed case in Estonia (and the sick man took the bus from Latvia, so there will most likely be more cases) and Poland AFAIK. It's only a matter of time before it comes here, the government is already preparing for it, public transport is disinfected etc.

Edited by Pentium100

I was forced to listen/watch ABC news at the dentist today and...wow. The hype is actually insane.

It's a cold virus!

What really got me was the theatrics to deliberately scare people. They showed 'PANDEMIC' in red letters over black and white slides of body bags and dying animals...

That is really sick. Blatant fear tactics to stress people out.

Edited by Mirage

2 minutes ago, Mirage said:

@Splashee What are you worried about friend?

I know you say it is just a cold virus. But you know how a bad cold virus can kill you? Common Cold is like the bane of existence, and if it gets deadly, we are all doomed!

But I agree with you about the media scaling things up, to make it look or sound worse than it is.

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I know you say it is just a cold virus. But you know how a bad cold virus can kill you? Common Cold is like the bane of existence, and if it gets deadly, we are all doomed!

But I agree with you about the media scaling things up, to make it look or sound worse than it is.

I know you're talking to @Mirage. But I was thinking the common cold was must worse then the cold I have. I was like what was I thinking. Common cold is much worse than what I have. :lie:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

I'll send you some links to posts I've made about this virus and your immune system. I'm on mobile right now, so, please stand by.

Any infection is dangerous. But people don't freak out like this when the flu gets around...and the flu kills about 20k or more a year (in the US). This new Corona virus still only has a 2% fatality rate, and that doesn't indicate how many of those deaths were of people already diseased, elderly, or even doctor caused.

• Brohoof 1

So there was this radio show, long ago, before TV, called 'The War of the Worlds'. It was somehow so convincing people thought it was real. It was a drama in content, about an alien invasion on Earth, but was formatted to sound like the news. It caused panic and hysteria, and there were even reports of people jumping out windows.

It caused a media controversy, and the FCC was involved to regulate the 'deceptive format'.

So the lesson is, the power of suggestion is powerful. While this disease is dangerous to many people, the panic by the media could actually cause a great deal of chaos in our communities. If we're not careful, this can become a terrible social catastrophe. 

Look up the facts and stay calm. Get reasonably prepared.

Edited by Mirage
  • Brohoof 1

Yes. The statistics are showing this to be a very contagious virus. You can be infected and show no symptoms for about 10 days, and it can survive on surfaces for 4 days.

I really don't think governments can do much to contain it without very aggressive, and oppressive, travel bans.

It's no wonder the stock markets are in a panic.

It's very much a thing where if people don't panic and take reasonable precautions, we'll be fine.

Unfortunately, our media wants people to panic so they'll buy more newspapers.

I've seen people stressing out over seeing Asian people wearing those hygiene masks, thinking that means they're contagious... No, that's just what they do when there's any cold or flu going round.

The new coronavirus is extremely contagious, it doesn't have a vaccine yet(will likely take at the very least a few more months and possibly until next year). The virus, COVID-19 comes from a family of other similar viruses humans cough from animals, like the SARS virus which spread in the beginning of the century and had a 9% fatality rate, much higher than this virus which fatality rate is about 3.4% according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

More people die each day from cancer and HIV than people died in the past 2 months from this virus, and more people died from regular seasonal flue viruses than this virus this year. In 2009-2010 millions of people caught influenza and while the moratlity rate was smaller it killed much more people than this virus. Not to mention all the ebolas out breaks including a still ongoing one in congo. 

Elderly people and people with already existing health problems need to take it seriously, they are the main victims of the epidemic(WHO might soon consider it pandemic). Around 80000 cases in china, over 2,300 cases in s.korea, nearly 900 cases in italy, at least 388 cases in iran(probably much more). Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and many other countries suffered from it. It even reached australia, mexico, brazil and nigeria.  

Well everyone at the retails are shopping food, water, and supplies like crazy. (*cough even my mom but I'll thank her later if some apocalypse happens) Honestly people...if there's someone who's diagnosed with the coronavirus they won't let you walk around to infect more people like a zombie. In fact they will contain you in a tiny white room and have you lock away from the society. So technically you won't be able to use all these goodies you bought and you just wasted your money for nothing. :oh_golly: And if there's going to be an apocalypse so be it.  But I just found it so ridiculous people are treating this like a zombie apocalypse.  Just keep a good hygiene and diet and you'll be fine just how the people over at Vietnam did it. 

On 2/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, WinterMane said:

I've seen people stressing out over seeing Asian people wearing those hygiene masks, thinking that means they're contagious... No, that's just what they do when there's any cold or flu going round.

Avoiding Asians won't spare you human :mellow: 

I am concerned for two primary reasons. One, I am a car detailer. I am in at least 10 different cars a day, about 50 per week. Cars where people won't cover their mouths when coughing, where they're sweating, etc. If it starts spreading here like it is in SK, I am all but guaranteed to get it. I'm fairly young and in great shape, so I know I'll most likely be fine. My 70 year old parents with COPD that live with me, different story. Elderly with a preexisting breathing condition is the prime candidate for a fatal case. Given the long incubation period by the time I know I have it, it might already be to late to keep my parents from it.

So yes I am a little bit afraid of getting the virus. 

• Brohoof 1

It's spreading quite rapidly. The WHO declared PHEIC (Public Health Emergency of International Concern) and the threat level as Very High at a Global Level.

What I mean is you can enjoy your life as much as you want, just be careful. Better be safe than sorry. Wash your hands every time you come home, eat well, sleep well, wear warm clothes, think twice before going to crowded areas. You might be fine, but you can still spread it.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, Rushing cash said:

More people die each day from cancer and HIV than people died in the past 2 months from this virus, and more people died from regular seasonal flue viruses than this virus this year. In 2009-2010 millions of people caught influenza and while the moratlity rate was smaller it killed much more people than this virus. Not to mention all the ebolas out breaks including a still ongoing one in congo.

While I admit COVID-19 is not as dangerous as media makes us believe, the snip of data you provided above lacks important details that can help people understand how virus works and how it differs from influenza.

Influenza is a well established recurring disease which is easy to fight, but also easy to catch. Its infection rate however is in ratio of more or less 1:1, meaning each infected person would usually infect one more person. That makes it easy to contain and manage.

COVID currently has an average infection rate of 3.5 . That's way higher than influenza. It also has higher average mortality rate, although only marginally and between people of weakened natural body resistance.

While currently the flat numbers favor it in comparison to influenza, should it spiral out ot control the % numbers clearly state it could easily outdo influenza quickly.

Nevertheless, it is literally just a stronger flu, and treating is as world-ending disaster (like some do) is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Passion said:

While I admit COVID-19 is not as dangerous as media makes us believe, the snip of data you provided above lacks important details that can help people understand how virus works and how it differs from influenza.

Influenza is a well established recurring disease which is easy to fight, but also easy to catch. Its infection rate however is in ratio of more or less 1:1, meaning each infected person would usually infect one more person. That makes it easy to contain and manage.

COVID currently has an average infection rate of 3.5 . That's way higher than influenza. It also has higher average mortality rate, although only marginally and between people of weakened natural body resistance.

While currently the flat numbers favor it in comparison to influenza, should it spiral out ot control the % numbers clearly state it could easily outdo influenza quickly.

Nevertheless, it is literally just a stronger flu, and treating is as world-ending disaster (like some do) is ridiculous.

It does state it there somewhere, but its very contagious and a lot people carry this virus right now and they have no clue about it, over 82% of the cases are mild and many won't even go to a doctor in this state. Many places barely test for the virus(just look at the US), so its possible many places are on the precipice of a epidemic and they don't know.

The new coronavirus so far affected at least 77 countries, the places that faced the worst outbreaks outside of china so far, are: s.korea(over 5000 cases), Iran(over 2300 cases and 77 deaths, the real numbers are definitely much higher) and italy(over 2000 cases). However many a lot of cases with no clear way to know how people got sick popping out in all of europe. 

So far over 3100 reported deaths and close to 50000 recoveries, which suggest a much higher fatality % than influenza but there a lot of undetected cases with people having mild symptoms so the actual death rate is much lower, experts believe from 0.5 % to about 2 %.