Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music pony music vs Normie music

Leonthezombie

Is it sad that I can name fandom musicians no problem, But can't name the guitarist to ACDC?

Like a legitimately dont know anything about regular music. But I can name you ponies artist's that dont even make music anymore. heres an example.

>Random song comes on radio that I've heard a thousand times

Father: ok what's the name of the band?

Me: uuuuuhhhhh

>pony song starts playing.

Me: ah yes, Academy bie Black Griphon and Baasic. Published in 2014, featured in the album "IMmortal"

Father: (disappointment)

Anyone else? Am I the only one?

• Brohoof 1

@Leonthezombie You have your own taste in music, and it’s understandable that you wouldn’t know music outside of those. Your taste in music is a part of you that shouldn’t reflect what others expect of you.

However, everyone can benefit from expanding their tastes. It’ll make you more knowledgeable, and you might even like what you hear. 

• Brohoof 1

I do not really listen to MLP fan created music, but, of the music I listen to, I only know a few of my favorite artists. There are a lot of songs that I like, but have no idea what the song is called or who is performing it. I managed to catch that song on the radio, recorded it to tape and that's it. Or bought a tape with the song recorded.

This is slowly changing as the radio station I listen to at work plays a lot of those songs and I can get their names from the website of the station.

I also do not really know the names of band members.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

Eh... You're fine. It's like me with actors/actresses. I only know a select few that I could identify by both name and appearance. I just don't pay much attention. And unless I really like a band, I likely don't know the names of any musicians within. And there are actually plenty of bands that I adore that I don't know the musicians' names. I typically only know them if I see them mentioned somewhere over and over and over again.

I will say I don't listen to Brony music, though. Too electronic for me. Instruments are very important in music for me.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/29/2020 at 4:29 PM, Envy said:

Eh... You're fine. It's like me with actors/actresses. I only know a select few that I could identify by both name and appearance. I just don't pay much attention. And unless I really like a band, I likely don't know the names of any musicians within. And there are actually plenty of bands that I adore that I don't know the musicians' names. I typically only know them if I see them mentioned somewhere over and over and over again.

I will say I don't listen to Brony music, though. Too electronic for me. Instruments are very important in music for me.

I think there was a certain sub genre of dubstep that was a big fad around 2010, so now it's kinda cemented in the fandom.

I can introduce show you some rock musicians in the fandom. I even know a few country style songs.

• 4 months later...

Normie music lol. :D

We all have different tastes, I usually prefer "normal" music though there are some songs of the fandom I enjoy.

It all depends in taste, that's the point.

I can't name any of the names of the people in the bands I like, even though I know most of their songs. If I see a song by another band with 'feat. <name>' behind it, I usually have no idea who it is until I recognize the voice. But there's no difference for me between pony music and regular music; the only reason I know what BlackGryph0n looks like is because I've seen him in Bronies React.

• Brohoof 1

I dunno tbh a lot of people know tunes just by ear not name.

I haven't really listened to a whole lot of pony music since living tombstone and wooden toaster moved on. If anyone wants to reccomend anything feel free lmao.

Occasionaly I do I check out the charts or listen to some pony instrumental.

As for normal music I tend to listen to some Electronic artists, pop, indie, occasionally classical or whatever catches my ear. Nothing too intense.

I mean just cuz it's not brony doesn't mean it's normie?

Furry music.. ahha mostly unpopular but some guitar musicians, EDM and at least in Asia they have the Utauloid stuff. And then there is all the weeb stuff oof, nightcore, vocaloid, anything like that.  And other music for fandoms. And then all those experimental artists. Not exactly normal ;) Tbh a lot of mainstream pop is a little bit eh too much drugs, sex and stuff and over the years they gotten worse I think. But I am quite picky. Also there are too many love songs. It's nice that with MLP people choose to make songs about friendship.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Honestly, I don't usually learn the names of people that form a band, but rather the name of the band. Something similar happens to me when it comes to brony music. I can't name the guitarists, bassists, keyboardists, drummers, singers or whatever to most bands.

But why? Well, because most of us brony musicians are one-pony bands. Most of us make all parts by ourselves and just put them together on a DAW. So, when we release a song or anything, all arrangements are usually performed by a single pony instead of a complete band. You might notice we usually use sampled drums rather than recording a drum performance, since most brony musicians don't count with a studio to do such a thing and thus, if we recorded our drums without the proper gear, you'd hear really dirty drums on your pony music.

On the other hoof, we can record the signal from a guitar, a bass guitar and any midi controller/keyboard directly to a sound interface since they all use electrical signals instead of merely airwaves as drums and wind instruments. Is always easier to take input from a guitar/bass setup than it is to record through mics a drumset. But Jesse, what about singing? Well, you can get ok mics for the range of a pony voice for a couple bits, and recording a voice through a single mic is easier than setting up multiple mics for a drumset, since if you fuck up you can get mixed signals and the best mics for drums are not all that cheap either.

So anyway, tl;dr version:
Is actually easier to remember brony musicians because they are one-pony bands and most use their screenname for their whole musical project, while most irl bands have several members and most people will recall the band's name rather than each individual's name.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
lost in translation xD
  • Brohoof 2

I think what's being forgotten here is just how much pony music is heavily influenced by "normie" music. It seems like people are treating pony music like it's own genre, which I don't really think is the case considering just how huge of a spectrum of genres pony music covers. Like I think the only thing ultimately separating pony music from normie music is just subject matter more than anything. Yeah there's a lot of electronic music, but it still ranges across tons of different genres like trance, dubstep, gabber, etc.

I understand you on feeling like a weirdo for having a niche music taste, and I'm with you, but the line separating the two is really thin and they don't entirely need to be mutually exclusive.

@Jesse Terrence i did not think of that, that was an informing thank you.

i do have question. do you ponies usually record electrical instruments through like an audio interface, or just place the mics against the amps? and what Audio interface is the most popular and your preference on it?

(edited)
16 hours ago, gurokama said:

I think what's being forgotten here is just how much pony music is heavily influenced by "normie" music. It seems like people are treating pony music like it's own genre, which I don't really think is the case considering just how huge of a spectrum of genres pony music covers. Like I think the only thing ultimately separating pony music from normie music is just subject matter more than anything. Yeah there's a lot of electronic music, but it still ranges across tons of different genres like trance, dubstep, gabber, etc.

I understand you on feeling like a weirdo for having a niche music taste, and I'm with you, but the line separating the two is really thin and they don't entirely need to be mutually exclusive.

@gurokama yah seems to be some confusion there. i very much meant bie the separation of the 2 bie the subject of what the songs is about. singing about ponies vs  singing about literally anything else. i may have to edit the OP to make it clear.

Edited by Leonthezombie