Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why can girls act boyishly but boys cant act girlish?

Muffinnz

4 hours ago, The Historian said:

Things like not showing emotion or must be independent at all times. No matter how damaging they might be, the expectation is there. And that... is incredibly toxic

I mean if you look into the Asian culture or other culture like in Africa there's your proof right there too. It like people forgot there are other  cultural gender expectation beside the US.

Honestly, the entire premise hinges on what are perceived to be "masculine" and "feminine" traits. Culture is having such a difficult time adjusting to how the world has changed in one human lifetime that it offers us no answers here. We are basically on our own to figure this out. Maybe now more than ever, consensus on gender roles has been fading away and answers to such a seemingly simple matter become ever more diverse between individuals. We can all agree on what gender roles were in the past but if each of us were to write our own rulebook on the matter, there would be less overlap than there used to be.

As for what I think, hard work, responsibility, charisma and pragmatism aren't inherently "masculine" traits. I have a lot of respect for women who can pull those off. I think it's time that we drop emotional vulnerability and expression as an inherently "feminine" traits.

To me, the true virtues are practicing rigorous authenticity, surrendering the outcome and doing uncomfortable work and not one of these are masculine nor feminine virtues. They are human virtues.

I don’t care how anyone acts as long as it’s the real deal and not putting on a show for someone else in order to get approval. I know plenty of tomboy girls who are very natural in their personalities, and some guys who are perfectly happy and comfortable enjoying more feminine pursuits. Their still perfectly natural girls and guys; they simply have their own set of interests. Many like to say people are shaped by society and in some cases that’s true, whether adopting a traditional approach or fighting against it. But nature is still at the forefront and if you ask any child, before they’re old enough to be influenced by society, and they’ll invariably show distinctly masculine traits for boys and feminine traits for girls. There will be variations because people don’t always fit into precise uniform molds, but overall people are born with natural instincts and only try to undo them when they get older. I think it’s fine for anybody to be anything as long as they’re being true to themselves and honest enough to acknowledge where that truth comes from. 

• Brohoof 2

On 3/3/2020 at 3:49 PM, The Historian said:

Toxic masculinity is a very real thing, but not in the way that most people think. Genuine toxic masculinity is the expectations placed on men and boys that are detrimental to their health and well-being. Things like not showing emotion or must be independent at all times. No matter how damaging they might be, the expectation is there. And that... is incredibly toxic.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:06 PM, TBD said:

I mean if you look into the Asian culture or other culture like in Africa there's your proof right there too. It like people forgot there are other  cultural gender expectation beside the US.

I've never come across or known anyone who's had extreme expectations placed on them like that. My culture is British and it's not like that here.

I've only seen the phrase of toxic masculinity used as something to attack men. 

5 hours ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

I've never come across or known anyone who's had extreme expectations placed on them like that. My culture is British and it's not like that here.

Maybe it's changed there but the attitudes I mentioned are still quite prevalent in many parts of the United States. It is starting to change but it's a slow process and there is a slight resistance to that change. Regardless, it's still a prevalent attitude in many places.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, Muffinnz said:

Why can girls act boyishly but boys cant act girlish?

They can.
Some people just let society dictate how they should behave and act.

This is good to a certain point, but you shouldn't let it limit yourself. 
In short, those boys who want to act "girlish" should simply do so.

And they will find places where they can and feel at home doing so.

18 hours ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

But it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Without going on with my personal experiences I come from that kind culture where there are high expectation placed on both men and women. But since I'm born here in america my parents aren't that strict. But still keeping that traditional expectation.Not saying it's toxic because it doesn't effect me much. I mean there are some moments I feel reluctant but still not toxic. However I know it does effect some people who comes from the same background as me only because they have it harder. I think being born here makes a difference than if I were born in my country. Both my mother and father was born there and experienced much higher expectations than what they're giving me. However I did have one aunt who I told her I was going to be a nurse. She told me I should be a doctor instead because nurses are for women only. Yeah honestly I have no word that. 

I'm not going to discussion what's-toxic masculinity or not since that's not the topic here but overall people take things differently. But I'm not going ignore that these extreme expectation (which does exist) does put a pressure on these people in forcing them to be someone they are not. That's toxicity. it's only toxic to the point when it's effecting a person mentally.  If women has suffered from women norm expectation, so does the men. 

*Noted: The expectations I was referring to does not involve to expect men to act violent or emotionless. I have not yet heard any culture who does that. Although we can look into the military... not making claims here, just a thought.

18 hours ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

Yeah that extremist uneducated feminist for ya. 

On 3/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, EpicEnergy said:

I will address two things:

1) Girls actually can't act "boyish". Video games, sports, the military, trucks, and weigh lifting are a few things that are considered for boys only. Additionally, it is considered weird for a girl to act tough, to do crazy things like a boy, and to engage in "messy" activities like sports.

2) The reason boys can't act girlish is because, as @Kamii mentioned, societal norms and expectations. Society has a definition of what a man should be, and therefore anything different is looked down upon, especially acting like the opposite gender.

What a load of Nonsense.