Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Opinions on both Frozen films?

PCutter

I'm talking about both films now.

Please don't start with the implicit or explicit LGBT or feminist agenda because that's not the point here.

So what if people say everything of the franchise is so overrated?

Maybe I can see the journey of Elsa, Let it Go and Show Yourself as a coming-out regarding sexuality. But it doesn't apply only to that realm. Just because there are those of us who are born luckier than others it doesn't mean we have it all well. There are shy people regardless of any social criteria who people have a hard time understanding and accepting because of my/our eccentric or unconventional beliefs, preferences and actions. Elsa being born into royalty and me being born into a stable family doesn't mean we have it good every second of our lives. She and I have had our share of being given questionable glances and words simply because we don't adhere to what is normal. Even that fear that we're watched doesn't help at all.

I myself and people like me are rightfully sick of having of having our fears and issues trivialized just because others use the overrated argument and overdone political agendas in film argument to claim that these movies are shallow or overdone.

Listening to Let it Go again and again was fun and relatable for me. I related to it already. But doing the same thing for Show Yourself actually made me cry (and I don't often cry with songs). I think Frozen 2 was already my mirror. She made me feel validated, that there is always the potential for deviants to be loved.

Coupled with the fact that I'm about to be free from uni, it makes it all the more profound because I will be a free agent who can improve myself and explore the world and life.

Love them both.I love how it was more about the Sister bond than just simply a man's kiss saving the day.

Spoilers about Frozen II within

Spoiler

Still, Kristoff is a nice guy and I always support characters like that even if there wasn't much of him in the 2nd movie. Still, despite feeling a little out of place, Kristoff's voice actor got to show off his singing chops.

Plus the animation in the 2nd film is amazing! And I feel where the Sisters ended up by the end of 2 fits their characters well

I like the first one and overall Frozen. It's my favorite "Princess" Disney movie. Elsa and Anna the two best princess/Queen! But I like Elsa more, because she's so different compared to the other Disney princesses. I think she's more real and relatable when it comes insecurities and embracing yourself.  She  have this overcast side of her where she lets her fear get the best of her. But eventually learned her mistakes and fix it. She's not perfect and she's not trying to be perfect.  She the kind of hero who isn't trying to be a hero but a person who just want to embrace herself and do the next right thing.  That's what makes her stand out for me. Anna is the kind who take upon leadership role without being told she has to do it. I also appreciated her patient for Elsa too. Krisoff is also very reliable and doesn't question anything what's giving to him. He just do what he has to do. And Olaf, I think Olaf steal the spotlight for Frozen 2 and he a great character for pulling off dark humors. 

I don't like Frozen 2 much though. It's pretty boring and not engaging as the first. I like the whole idea of knowing Elsa's power origin, but I think something about it just off to me. I feel like the whole thing is rushed and with more questions, and most of all, no villains. Frozen 2 attempted to do the same thing with Moana, where nature is your "enemy". Which that didn't work out for me either. It just make the whole plot boring  when its lacking this kind of peril like the one you get in the first one. It's not intense enough. I feel as though this would be a perfect opportunity to bring Hans back but this time he has learned how to manipulate this "nature" power to harness it for his own use. But later reformed at the end. I hate to go to the mlp route with villain's redemption  but hey this Disney. Hans is a bad guy yes, but you can understand and at the same sympathize this character. Coming from a big royal family who gives no shit about him at all and he have no experiences what's love. So if Disney is so big on redemption and lessons Hans is the perfect guy for that example. Frozen 2 have this conflict between "normal" people and "Magical" people. That was pretty interesting and man, what a shame that they didn't use that concept to create a good villain out of it. Someone who want to reintroduced the war while at the same want to conquer by stealing the magic. Which now I'm going off with this Attack on Titan concept here.

Yeah it's a shame for 7 years of working for sequel to go down the drain. 

(edited)

I've only seen Frozen 1 and... I thought it was a bit mediocre, and I thought that way even when everyone said it was the best thing ever.

The plot was insanely predictable (Like I predicted the entire movie in 5 or 10 minutes the first time I saw it, and I'm not gifted at predicting anything), some of the songs were annoying ("Fixer Upper" is an absolute atrocity, but it isn't the only example), some of the characters were annoying... Not to mention the moustache-twirling villain with seemingly no real motive other than sheer malice and a thirst for power, who I KNEW WOULD BE THE VILLAIN WAY BEFORE IT WAS REVEALED, BECAUSE IT WAS WAY TOO OBVIOUS... Though there are a few good parts here and there that save it.

Not to mention, I've found the amount of merchandising for this film to be extremely ANNOYING. If you want to merch the f*** out of a movie, at least make it a good movie. Finding Nemo and Toy Story are much more deserving of this than Frozen, but yet it's Frozen that gets treated so special.

Edited by Angel_Dust

Frozen One:  Ok i liked the first movie overall  just as a fun watch,  I like the idea we had a queen for once who was not EVIL or Mean and it has a very good coming of age for both the sisters.   They both where able to heal and find themselves,  the main song got over played to much and the media ODED on it way to much!   Very good message of "girl power" but also "family" themes and "love who we are"  was a good message to send. 

Frozen 2: I like the world building is anything and for once we got answes to some questions.  We see more of themes of "self exploring" and learning to "let go" and to also "grow to be who we are" and also "sacrifice of oneself"  .  Which is a good message to kids given how they have grown from the last movie but also many good message to new and younger kids coming into the movies.  

• Brohoof 1

Haven't seen the second one but I thought the first one while not original I thought was a great movie. Looking back at it the twist with Hans was really predictable, but for Disney it was something they've never done before, the Prince always had to be the Knight in Shining Armor for the Princess to fall in love with. Heck the whole "evil Queen" kind of the same thing. Honestly I would have loved to see a version of the movie with Elsa as the villain as some of the in-development stuff with the premise was really interesting, with Elsa becoming somewhat insane

Honestly, the worst thing to come out of the franchise isn't even the insane marketing push or how little girls became obsessed with Let It Go. It's the people who hate the movie and bitch about how overrated it is. The people who obsessively bitch and trash the movie, berate people who enjoy the movie or how much better X is than it. Like I fucking get it I'm a retarded sheep with absolutely no standards for liking it and the the Lion King is an objectively better movie and a masterpiece of high art that Frozen will never be. Go back to the closet and masturbate to the movie and just let people who enjoy Frozen be

The first one was alright. Not brilliant but alright. It mostly suffered from forcing the story into directions that didn’t work in order to minimize the male characters’ part in anything heroic. I loved the songs and Anna is a really fun character while Elsa made her serious character interesting to watch. Erasing Anna’s memory of Elsa’s magic was just pointless and stupid; causing far more trouble than it solved (not that it solved anything!) But I guess they wanted that ‘gasp’ moment of discovery when Elsa showed her powers as an adult. Just another contrivance to me.

Frozen II was just plain grim and boring. After all the unjustified hype of the first one I expected Disney would pull out all the stops to make it something remarkable, but it ended up being yet another political statement with a bunch of characters wandering around in search of a plot. The songs were lacking, which is surprising considering the same team wrote far better material for the Frozen short subjects. It doesn’t really justify a repeat viewing.  

• Brohoof 1

I liked the first one, also really liked the songs "The Frozen Heart" and "Let it Go". I just watched the second one, it was OK, but (spoilers) wasn't the ending a kind-of racist (well, not "racist" racist, but you get the idea)?

I only watched the first. It was fine, nothing I’d kill for though. Haven’t watched the second, partly due to my impression with the first, and I don’t feel like going to theatres as much as I used to lately

The first one was okay. Definently got overhyped.

Got asked to go to the second one, and was pleasantly surprised how much better it was. Animation, songs, and storyline were much better than the first.

• 4 months later...

I saw the first one, and I have no desire at all to see the second. The movie's alright, though the plot leaves a lot to be desired. I'd say there was an interesting concept in there somewhere, but the final execution was rather underwhelming for me. That said, the first movie sold gangbusters for little girls everywhere and that song let it go was everywhere, so it entertained its target audience well enough. Seemed like it did a lot or you as well, there's nothing wrong with that. 

As for how it was overly politicized: I mean, that's pretty much everything nowadays. What I'd say is enjoy your fandom of choice and don't feel like you have to defend your favorites from rando anon haters online. Hell this site is dedicated to My Little Pony for crying out loud, and this show had just as much if not more political and toxic debates revolving around it. I do not feel like i have to defend that I liked this show. Hell I've found the fandom more embarrassing than the show itself on more than one occasion (glances at the debate pit).