Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dedicated General Toy Collecting subforum?

Megas

(edited)

I know there's one for MLP toys, but how about one dedicated for several different toy collecting, like Transformers, Monster High, Power Rangers, etc.? One thing that always surprised me about this site was the lack of a dedicated toy collecting subforum, especially since this site's dedicated to a major toyline? Has one ever been considered?

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Not saying this isn't a good idea, but here's some history. :)

When I was staff on this site, there wasn't much call for a specific Toy Collecting section because at the time there were a number of sites dedicated to that and there (what I felt) was surprisingly little cross-over between users on this site and users on those other sites.

The toy collecting side of MLP fandom in many cases were adamant that they weren't Bronies/Pegasisters at all, because the majority were dealing purely with the toys, not the cartoons, and especially not the G4 cartoon. The G4 toys were, in many cases, considered inferior in design, materials, and construction, and weren't considered 'collectable' by a lot of people at that time. This site really pushed that it was a Brony/Pegasister site, and in general didn't really deal well with pre-G4 stuff. There were a *lot* of posts about how horrible the pre-G4 cartoons were, how stupid people were for liking that kind of thing, and roving bands of users would regularly shout down anyone wanting to talk about the original cartoons and specials.

It was a struggle to even get a 'Classic Generations' subforum at all, as there was some very strident resistance to anything pre-G4 appearing on the site from both the users and a chunk of the senior staff. Even when it was finally put in place after those senior staff were no longer calling the shots, we had to put special moderation rules on that subforum just to police all the pre-G4 hate that was spewing at the few pre-G4 fans left on the site.

And given the collectors being mostly pre-G4 that meant they got lumped in with the few pre-G4 animation fans. so beyond a few individuals the toy collectors were no longer interested in dealing with this site. They had their own sites, many of them specialized in toy collecting with tools like checklists, release history wikis, and the like that were much friendlier to collectors than we were.

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

... just to police all the pre-G4 hate that was spewing at the few pre-G4 fans left on the site.

Nowadays I have seen very little hate towards other fandoms, or even pre-G4. (The Bronies are almost accepting now).

Good history lesson though! Almost makes me want to go back to 2012 and relive it once again!

Collecting pokemon stuff - have lotsa Pokémon center plush > thus limited edition except only a few are at my room nowadays since I prefer collecting kpop stuff 

Maybe site did consider it but just didn’t think it was the right time idk

• Brohoof 2