Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aliens or demons: Which ones are more terrifying?

heavens-champion

Aliens or demons: which ones are more terrifying?  

20 users have voted

1. 1. Which is more terrifying: Aliens or demons?

• Aliens
    • Demons

Both are catch-all term covering a near-infinite varietu of entities, some of which are scarier than others. All in all though, demons do have a greater tendency to malevolence.

• Brohoof 1

Demons hands off. Aliens can do a lot of evil to us. If they want to. They’ll be indifferent. Demons on the other hand will do evil to us, and they’ll go out of their way to do so

Spoiler

hell_symbol.png

• Brohoof 2

While aliens would have a more of an immediate threatening impact assuming they can travel between worlds and there's the risk that they'll wipe us out with diseases, see us as inferior and merely want our resources, demons would be on another plane of existence and would be confirming the supernatural, potentially validating draconian practices and there's be no way to escape them since they'd be everywhere. It does beg the question, why weren't they prevalent/more out in the open then?

Demons are the more terrifying in the long run.

17 minutes ago, Xoomy228 said:

Easy. Alien-Demons. Unless you are the Doomguy. Then it's just business as usual.

Well, technically you’re right. All demons are aliens by definition. Regardless, demons are worse than extraterrestrials 

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, technically you’re right. All demons are aliens by definition. Regardless, demons are worse than extraterrestrials 

One really need to think about the definition of a demon here. If we go with the classical, religious origin then unless you have the backing of a more powerful spiritual force you can't really do much against them. They don't even exist in the same realm as we are. This reminds me of some weird things I used to read on old crazy websites. What if the aliens are demons who are just projecting a form that scares the modern man?

With Aliens, I think real aliens would be really alien. Which means they may operate on a different set of logic which I don't think is really understandable for us. Of course the same could go for the demons, but in the religious and mythological context at least they have some motivations that make sense if we consider their twisted ways.

Demons. Extraterrestrials have some basis in tangible reality and scientific fact. There is a logic there for their progress and actions, even ones which we deem "evil". 

Demons defy reality and all scientific basis. They're present in the metaphysical, spiritual and even psychological. The operate as an antithesis to humanity. Worse, there is no right way to understand or oppose them. They're at the mercy of spiritual belief and religion, and good luck figuring out which of humanities myriad of beliefs is the correct one to utilize. 

TLDR: Aliens could be a worst case scenario for humanity, but demons are defined as the worst case scenario. 

I think demons are more terrifying because I believe they are real and because you can't see them (as they are spiritual beings). Aliens, on the other hand, aren't as terrifying because I believe they aren't real (at least intelligent aliens) and because if they were then you might be able to see them as they would be physical beings.

• Brohoof 1

Demons.

If aliens exist, then they could be good OR bad. Or you know, just normal animals. But demons are invariably evil and, as someone with a Christian perspective, REAL and out to destroy all that is good in the world.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think either are bad. They have their reasons for doing things and vary as much as humans. Mass Effect and SMT taught me well~

I voted for aliens though. I can befriend a demon, party with one and even if they use me and toss me aside I know what I got myself into. I think I can understand demons in their quest for mischief and hedonism. With aliens you have no idea what you're gonna get. There's more versions of aliens than demons I imagine, and they operate on a galactic scale and can be more ambiguous with goals. If we're talking about the aliens everyone usually talks about... They may have been pulling the strings behind the world for awhile now and thats total new world order stuff to me! Scary.

Demons. Both could be portrayed in a million different ways, good or bad, but demons are more likely to be actively malevolent. Since they’re demons and all. :mlp_icwudt:

Demons. Neither aliens or demons are all powerful foes and each have their weaknesses. However, given aliens as we define them likely have a basis in our physical realm we could form some sort of understanding as to how they work and figure out a way to counteract or oppose them. But demons are so secretive and hidden there’s a chance we wouldn’t even know they’re attacking us. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, after all, is convincing the world he doesn’t exist.

• Brohoof 1

Demons. Simply because of the anccient fear that is coded in me. 

Otherwise, Lovecraft monsters! Those are cool because they are alien-god-demons at the same time. 

I absolutely love demonology and all the demons however mad or evil they may be. So my answer is very simple alas biased here :P

Demons are infinitely worse than aliens. Aliens may be indifferent and self-serving at the expense of other living beings, but demons are dedicated to causing pain and suffering for the sake of being evil. Aliens can cause inadvertent suffering but demons do cause suffering, advertantly. 

• Brohoof 1

Humans. 

Human fears what they do not know or cannot control. When they fear they show their ugliest side. Whether (if we're lucky not to get wiped 100%) it's zombie or Alien Apocalypse, the humans' response will just turn themselves into another person's worst enemy compared to the invaders. The devil himself..hell, he will just sit back and watch us human do the evil for him for his amusement.