Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The best fanfiction genre?!

ThatYoungBrony

I'm a fan of ships. But at my heart of all reading (And writing) I love action, adventure and maybe a little be of espionage and intrigue.

I think the important part of any story is making sure you're characters stay in character. It can be hard with the Mane 6 but when someone really pulls it off it helps the story so much.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Shipping with a Rainbow Dash of clop mixed into it.

Alternatively if it has an original or popular enough concept, I'll read it.

Edit: Oh yeah! And crossovers!

Edited by Zhinzo

Adventure is definitely my favorite, particularly epic adventures. I REALLY love the episodes where we got to see our favorite ponies kicking butt, especially at the royal wedding, so that explains my choice haha. After reading a couple of adventure fics it inspired me to write the one I'm currently working on!

I have a similar opinion to Emerald, in that Episodic and adventure epics are great. Frankly, my personal favorite genre is the Comedically Random stuff, the likes of "Luna, There's a Sentient Race Inside Your Mane!". I also like Alternate Universe fics, but not necessarily in the Grimdark category.

I generally read dark stories and occasionally read shipping/ clopfics. i enjoy comedy and random at times, but i've yet to read a crossover though.

I prefer stories that contain a mental message the author is trying to argue across a story. If its a fanfiction, then my expectation is that an author should stay true to the original universe, character and theme. However that doesn't mean that the author can't alter the original canonical universe slightly to fit into his/her fanfiction.

I treat any kind of literature as just an extension of a mental argument that an author is trying to express.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a completely absurd and out of character fanfiction however.. some are rather amusing to read. But I generally do not like any grimdark stuff since most I see from those fictions is a very immature expression of an author's frustration with his/her current life or just some random teenagers venting their hormone-driven rage through killing off innocent characters or just make them suffer in general.

• Brohoof 1

I, for one, enjoy a fanfiction where the line between genres is skewed so horribly as to become indiscernible among what is a myriad of hues and shapes that, when you stand back and look upon the work, make an alicorn silhouette. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite genre is the kind of fanfics that's appropriate and somewhat plausible enough to be in a real episode of the show. I love them so much that I'm making one of them right now!

I also sometimes read shippings (not clopfics!!!) and action oriented fics too.

I'll never read clopfics, gorefics or anything dark. I don't like to much swearing either.

This is coming from a 20 year old guy

(edited)

I love nice, cuddly fictions, they don't have to include clopp parts but it should be generally nice...

I haven't read many of them though. So far, I loved Mothers (not sure about author) and My Sister, Loyalty (by Chaotic Discord)

Edited by Nouth

Btw are we allowed to link gorefics and grimdark stuff here or does that get you busted?

I think you're allowed, since there's a thread to post all scary pony images xD

Anyways, my favorite genre's are Sad, Tragic, Comedy, Anything with Rule 63 and Clopfics

I despise fics like Rainbow Factory or Cupcakes, because it pisses me off when people rip characters out of character and turn them into something they're not. Why do I mention this? Because my preferred type of fanfiction is the cute, warm, hnnnng ones :3 I've said it once and I'll say it again, this world of ours is fucked up, and it's only in media, fan-made media to be more precise, that you can escape our cesspool of a world and delve into as much cuteness and happiness as you want.

In short, I don't want to read depressing stories in a sad world, I want to use the opportunity to read about the positive, cute, friendly, or romantic stories that are not always possible in our sad world.

HOW DARE YOU STEAL WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY!!!

I'll say them but don't get mad.

Alright we'll start with my favorite genere of Romance, shipfics, and some clopfics..I have spoken, but even better if you throw a little commedy in there.

• 4 months later...

Well, everypony has their own favorite.Mine is adventure with some romance ("sane" romance) and tragedy.I'm writing one right now, but still at my draft. I will post it as soon as I get the cover.

I happen to cherish sad and adventure fics the most. Epic action, beautiful emotion, et cetera. Unfortunately, those genres are rare.

I also like certain shipfics and clopfics.

I don't like comedy fics. Most of them include vulgar language and bland plot structure.

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I don't really look into genres when looking for a story, I just skim over stories until I find something interesting. Genres don't really matter to me, it's how the writer writes his/her story and how the scenes in the writer's head are put into words. But if I had to choose a favorite genre it would be epic adventures like "The Immortal Game", comedy-romances, like "On a Cross and Arrow" or GrimDark like "Borderline". 

• Brohoof 1