Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The One Ring. Which of the mane six be best to resist it?

Bendy

Who should be the ring bearer?  

18 users have voted

1. 1. Who should be the ring bearer?

• Twilight
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Applejack
    • Rarity
    • Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie

The One Ring, from the Lord of the Rings. Which one of the mane six be best to resist it? As in not go insane and have the will to destroy it in Mount Doom? 

Gollum is a good example for what the One Ring can do to someone.

Edited by Bendy

One of the main points covered within Tolkien's work regarding the Ring was that no one was immune to the Ring.

Even the most resilient characters did or would have succumbed to its influence: Frodo did. Aragorn never actually touched the ring but knew rationally what damage he would create if he ever touched the ring. Faramir didn't either and knew less, but had a much purer heart and mind than his brother. The two characters with the greatest resilience were Galadriel and Samwise Gamgee. Galadriel is one of the greater ancient beings in Middle Earth, and said herself that her not taking the Ring was greatest test of her life. Samwise was such a simple and honest hobbit counterbalanced coincidentally with the effect Frodo was already suffering ensured that the was kept away from him quite soon in his exposure. It's also a subject of discussion in the books, what to do with the ring given that anyone (except Tom Bombadil) would eventually succumb to its evil once they held it for long enough.

Likewise, I don't think any characters in My Little Pony would be immune to the effects of the Ring. The main intrigue therefore is consideration of what happens if/when one of them becomes the Ringbearer; why and how.

That all said, let's look at the facts:

1. The Ring can change size, apparent weight, and comfortableness at will, to be most appealing to those around it.

2. Twilight is not always the most cautious when it comes to unexplored magics.

3. Rarity likes shiny things.

4. Applejack is often too gung-ho about things to consider their magical implications.

5. Rainbow Dash's enthusiasm can leave her sense wanting, sometimes.

6. Pinkie Pie loves new things.

7. Fluttershy has alternative sides to her.

I would choose Fluttershy to be Ringbearer, probably only due to her characteristics that make her most analogous to Sam or Frodo. Change my mind.

Edited by Blue

I'd say Applejack is the most content of them, like Sam, not interested in power or any major wants that would tempt her.

Fluttershy would be way too eager to save the world.

Edited by Fluttershutter

I'd give it to AppleJack. She's so level-headed I doubt the thirst for power would even enter into her way of thinking. 

I could also see Pinkie Pie as being a good candidate because I don't think anything negative could affect her. She's just too zany! If anything I think she would change the Ring.

Not sure about pinkie - after all, when she got Discord's power at the end of S9, she lost control.

Fluttershy also isn't a good choice; as much as I love her, you need to take her actions in episodes like hoof down and best night into consideration.

Rarity? look at inspiration manifestation

Dashie? heck no! last thing we need is for that pony to be invisible and have voices whispering to her.

So Twi or AJ then; Twi has experience in controlling power, and her only real trigger is disappointing celestia, so would be a good choice. But I would like to see how AJ does with it. Twi would be a better fit as Gandalf to AJ's Frodo.

Twilight the Ring Wraith: Wants to acquire all the knowledge in the universe

Rainbow Dash the Ring Wraith: Wants to be the best of the best of the best

Fluttershy the Ring Wraith: Wants to spread kindness BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Pinkie Pie the Ring Wraith: Wants to spread laughter BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Rarity the Ring Wraith: Wants to make the world fabulous BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Edited by Fluttershutter

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2020-03-15 at 1:09 PM, I used to be a stranger said:

One of the main points covered within Tolkien's work regarding the Ring was that no one was immune to the Ring.

Even the most resilient characters did or would have succumbed to its influence: Frodo did. Aragorn never actually touched the ring but knew rationally what damage he would create if he ever touched the ring. Faramir didn't either and knew less, but had a much purer heart and mind than his brother. The two characters with the greatest resilience were Galadriel and Samwise Gamgee. Galadriel is one of the greater ancient beings in Middle Earth, and said herself that her not taking the Ring was greatest test of her life. Samwise was such a simple and honest hobbit counterbalanced coincidentally with the effect Frodo was already suffering ensured that the was kept away from him quite soon in his exposure. It's also a subject of discussion in the books, what to do with the ring given that anyone (except Tom Bombadil) would eventually succumb to its evil once they held it for long enough.

Likewise, I don't think any characters in My Little Pony would be immune to the effects of the Ring. The main intrigue therefore is consideration of what happens if/when one of them becomes the Ringbearer; why and how.

That all said, let's look at the facts:

1. The Ring can change size, apparent weight, and comfortableness at will, to be most appealing to those around it.

2. Twilight is not always the most cautious when it comes to unexplored magics.

3. Rarity likes shiny things.

4. Applejack is often too gung-ho about things to consider their magical implications.

5. Rainbow Dash's enthusiasm can leave her sense wanting, sometimes.

6. Pinkie Pie loves new things.

7. Fluttershy has alternative sides to her.

I would choose Fluttershy to be Ringbearer, probably only due to her characteristics that make her most analogous to Sam or Frodo. Change my mind.

well Fluttershy would resist the one ring and doesn't one power

On 2020-03-19 at 11:27 PM, Fluttershutter said:

Twilight the Ring Wraith: Wants to acquire all the knowledge in the universe

Rainbow Dash the Ring Wraith: Wants to be the best of the best of the best

Fluttershy the Ring Wraith: Wants to spread kindness BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Pinkie Pie the Ring Wraith: Wants to spread laughter BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Rarity the Ring Wraith: Wants to make the world fabulous BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Twilight sparkles probably end being just like Sauron or be even Far Worse than Sauron

It had been [Sauron's] virtue (and therefore also the cause of his fall, and of his relapse) that he loved order and coordination, and disliked all confusion and wasteful friction. (It was the apparent will and power of Melkor to affect his designs quickly and masterfully that had first attracted Sauron to him.)

Sauron does love Order and Coordination and did hate chaos and confusion 

Twilight would pretty much share the same fate and corruption just like How Sauron Fall to Corruption

Twilight love for Friendship love and harmony is just like Sauron love for Order and Coordination 

Both Sauron and Twilight were very loyal to the one who taught then

Celestia for Twilight and Morgoth for Sauron

Sauron and Twilight both have thing in common 

Sauron wanted Order and Coordination and an Perfect World but he was corrupted by his mawter morgoth. He was most certainly the hero of his own story.

Twilight sparkles wanted to spread friendship and harmony to equestria and beyond that why she open the school of friendship

Twilight is more like Sauron same goal and  Motivation ( Sauron  love for Order and Coordination and Twilight love for Friendship and Harmony )

Edited by Scootaloo9074090

• 7 months later...