Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

adventure Daring Do and the Bracelet of Light

Lulaypp

Note: This story takes place anytime before Daring Doubt as I am going to use Dr. Caballeron as Daring's opponent. I also am not used to writting adventure, especially a short one, so I apologise if it lacks 'adventure'.

This story is written for the Rainbow Dash Day: Daring Stories event.

---------------

The sound of quiet hoofsteps echoed throughout the cave's dark passage, in tune to the dripping sound of water. A mare, with a hat balanced on her head and a bag across her back, slowly made her way closer to the tunnel's exit with caution. The last time she crossed this tunnel, she collided with a gang of bandits. They might not be able to stop her, but she'd prefer if less things stood in her way. 

Light started to pour in as she got closer to the mouth of the cave, ears alert for any signs of danger. Reaching the end of the tunnel, the pony stuck her head out and scanned her surroundings, her pink eyes taking in every detail. She was in a jungle, trees growing close together, making it hard to see too far but her trained ears could hear distant splashes of a waterfall, her destination. She turn to look up, seeing the sun high in the sky. 'Noon,' she thought. 'Good, it is still early.' Once she was sure that the coast is clear, she stepped out, shaking of dust from her brown coat and grey-black mane and ruffling her wings. After she made sure her saddlebag still have all her supplies, she trotted deeper into the dense jungle. The sound of nature and animals accompanied her like an endless soundtrack.

-

After nearly an hour of trekking, a lunch break and a squabble with a family of monkeys, the pony finally made it to her destination, a non-descript waterfall. She glanced one more time at her map, making sure it is the right place, before stepping into the water. The water, reaching up only to her knees, gently flowed and ripple as she waddled closer to the falls itself.

But then she stopped abruptly, ears swivelling, eyes searching, for a sound, a sign. There. To her right, a silhouette, the telltale sound of a released arrow. She spread her wings and flew quickly, as the arrow struck right where she was. She look up just in time to see a figure throwing themselves at her. She flew back and tried to make her way to the falls. 'Almost there,' she thought flapping furiously. But just as she manage to make out an opening behind the wall of water, an arrow caught her right wing, causing her to tumble down into the pool. 

She groaned and pulled her injured wing closer to inspect it, just as a large shadow tower over her.

"Daring Do," Dr. Caballeron greeted, a smug look on his face.

"Caballeron," the mare responded with a glare. At the back of her mind, Daring Do accessed her injuries and situation. The arrow hit nothing fatal, but flying imediately is not an possible. Especially with the weapon still there. At least nothing else got hurt by the fall. Dr. Caballeron doesn't seem armed, but one of his henchpony has a bow and a quiver of arrows while the other seems like a weapon himself just by his size and strength. Chances of her getting away: slim but might be possible. She just need to dart through the waterfall right behind her enemies. She used her uninjured wing, hidden from view, and reach into her saddlebag, which, luckily, was magically waterproofed by one of Rainbow Dash's friends. 

"I was wondering when will you notice us," Caballeron continued. "It took quite a while, didn't it. But alas, your little adventure ends here." He and his henchponies stepped closer to the pegasus. 

"I doubt it. After all, daring is my name." Caballeron stopped his approach, confused, and Daring quickly threw a tiny canister at her enemies' hooves. As soon as it hits the water, the small object hissed and froze the water, trapping the ponies. While the Caballeron and his henchponies yelled and panicked, Daring wasted no time in jumping over her opponents and galloping towards the opening behind the waterfall. An arrow bounce near her head as the archer managed to get both forehoves free from the ice. Daring darted in and quickly found a loose boulder to seal the enterance.

Once was sure she was safe, she noticed that the place she is in was brightly lit up. She looked around the tall, spacious cavern seeing torches lining up the brown-gold walls and a tunnel, the only other visible passage, up near the celing. Knowing that that should be where she would find what she wants, Daring Do was about to take flight when a sharp jolt of pain reminded her of her injured wing. She leaned back against the boulder and properly inspected it. Gripping the arrow with her teeth, she carefully, but quickly pulled it out, wincing at the pain. She folded her wing against her side and got up to find her way to the small tunnel. She remember packing a long length of rope in her saddle bag and the cavern walls are not overly smooth. Maybe she could try climbing up with her rope.

-

Daring wallked into the unlit tunnel using a headlight. The passage seem to go in one single direction and, occasionally, there are steps going downwards. She went on, following the tunnel until it finally opens up into a dimly lit room. She poked her head in and look around. The space is bare except for one item standing on a stone pedestal, the legendary Bracelet of Light. Just what she was looking for. Its soft glow lights up the entire room. Daring Do inspected the room and the pedestal for any signs of traps. Seeing none, she carefully picked up the artifact and place it in her saddlebag. She glanced around the room once more before heading back out.

-

Just as she reach the end of the tunnel, Daring Do could tell that something is wrong. The boulder that blocked the enterance is missing and yet, Dr. Caballeron and his henchponies are nowhere to be seen. Daring turned off her headlamp and peered over the ledge, trying to see if she can spot any of them. She stepped back when she saw nopony and tried to figure out her next move.

There is a posibility that Dr. Caballeron saw that the tunnel is too high to reach and since he didn't have any pegasi with him, he just gave up and left. But Daring Do knows better. Dr. Caballeron doesn't give up that easily. His determination is almost admirable.

-

Dr. Caballeron glanced at his two henchponies then back at the small tunnel at the top of the cavern. He is certain that today he would be able to take the Bracelet of Light and bring down Daring Do from her glory. In other words, he will steal the light from her. He smiled at that thought just as he saw Daring Do gliding down from the cave.

He signaled to his henchponies before they leapt into action. The archer shot an arrow towards the pegasus still in midair. Daring Do was only able to dodge the arrow but with one wing still lightly injured, she couldn't keep herself balanced and fell to the ground, landing in a practiced roll. The other henchpony wasted no time in pouncing on her and, after some struggle, he manage to pin her down.

Dr. Caballeron stepped out from the his hiding spot and approached the adventurer. "Daring Do. I actually expected more of a fight from you." He signaled one of his henchpony for the pegasus' bag.

Daring Do momentarily turned her glare to the archer as he took her saddlebag and passed it to his leader. "Well I expected more preparation on your part," she responded. "You should have brought along a pegasus or a unicorn. Besides the bracelet wasn't there."

Dr. Caballeron ignored her, she used that as an excuse before, and tipped her bag over, pouring out the contents. An array of thin fell out, equipments, a map, but the braclet wasn't there. He frowned. "Search her."

"Hey!" Daring protested as one of the henchponies snatched her hat. "Give that back."

They searched for a while longer before they told Dr. Caballeron that they couldn't find it. "Impossible," he growled. "Where are you hiding it?"

The pegasus shrugged. "I told you the bracelet was not there." She flailed her hooves slightly. "Now I would appreciate it if I can go."

Dr. Caballeron finally believed that maybe the artifact has already been taken by someone else, probably Ahuizotl, and Daring Do isn't hiding anything. He nodded. "Release her." The Henchpony holding her down stepped back. "But be warned author, if I ever do find out that you have the bracelet, I will find you."

Daring scoop her things back into her saddle bag. "If you found out," she retorted, flipping her hat onto her head before walking out of the cavern.

-

"But then what did you do?!" Rainbow Dash asked impaitently, pacing in Daring Do's cottage before pointing towards the Bacelet of Light on the desk. "How did you hide that glowing thing from Caballeron and his ponies?"

AK. Yearling gave a smile."Well to find that out, you will have to read the Daring Do and the Bracelet of Light when it comes out."

• Brohoof 1