Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Sneezing - Into Elbow vs. Into Shirt

ShadOBabe

So with all the health etiquette stuff going around (for obvious reasons), something caught my attention.

While most everyone agrees you shouldn’t sneeze into your hand, and that sneezing into your elbow is a good option, sneezing into your shirt seems to cause a split. Some think it’s a perfectly logical action and some think you shouldn’t and it’s gross.

I think sneezing into your shirt is perfectly fine, equal to, or sometimes better than, elbow sneezes. And here I shall list my reasons...

• Situation 1, wearing a short sleeve shirt. If you sneeze into your elbow without long sleeves, you’re gonna get a slimy, wet arm. But with the inside of your shirt, the fabric takes all the moisture.
  • Situation 2, wearing a long sleeve shirt. In-shirt or in-elbow, your shirt fabric is taking a sneeze. And if it’s a messy sneeze, do you want everyone seeing the results left on your arm?
  • For BOTH situations; if you are someone that leans of things with your elbows, and you have sneezed into your elbow, your germy elbows have now touched something that others are going to touch. But the inside of your shirt is only ever going to touch you.

Admittedly, shirt sneezes look less dignified. But I’m way more concerned about keeping my germs to myself (and not having slimy, wet arms) than looking dignified. If I HAVE a tissue, I’ll use that. But if not, shirt sneeze over elbow sneeze any day.

What do you guys think? How do you handle your achoos?

• Brohoof 6

I haven't heard of sneezing into a shirt, but I do sneeze into my elbow. It feels like I can "catch" it a little better. But if I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt, I sneeze a little above my elbow/near my shoulder, cause I don't like the sensation of it going on my skin lol

• Brohoof 3

I instinctively sneeze into my inner arm because I want to block the sneeze as fast as possible and keep it quiet as well. I don't use my inner elbow to touch anything (I sometimes push doors open with my outer elbow of my other arm). I sometimes sneeze into my left elbow or upper arm and use my right elbow or shoulder for doors, etc. Usually my sneezes aren't of the damp variety and I have an understated sort of sneezing style I've cultivated from an early age so I don't do a great deal of spraying. 

• Brohoof 2

33 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It feels like I can "catch" it a little better.

That’s actually why I do the shirt thing. Covers the entire bottom half of my face. That sneeze ain’t going anywhere.

35 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I don't like the sensation of it going on my skin lol

UGH same, it’s so gross!!

32 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I instinctively sneeze into my inner arm because I want to block the sneeze as fast as possible

Shirt is the same for me. Instinct. Hand shoots, grab collar, cover face, ACHOO!

34 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Usually my sneezes aren't of the damp variety and I have an understated sort of sneezing style I've cultivated from an early age

LOL, exact opposite. I try to reign them in a little so I don’t scare anyone, but my sneezes are like gale force winds!

• Brohoof 3

I sneeze onto my sleeve if I'm wearing a sleeved shirt, but if I'm wearing a tank top, then I just sneeze inside it, simple enough for me.

• Brohoof 1

In empty open spaces, I sneeze openly. If I'm all bundled up in coats and jackets, I go for the elbow. 90% it's going in the shirt and my coworkers get a kick out of watching it balloon out. On occasion it's gotten gross, but usually I'm in the clear. I have an odd sneeze, in that its mostly dry and I do so out of my mouth most of the time as though it's been rerouted. I understand that the mouth is involved, but the point is to clear the nose and unless my sinuses are getting cleared up in the shower, whatever's in there is probably not budging.

I always try to make my sneeze action visible (to not scare everyone), so people can turn away. If I say I will sneeze, it just doesn't work. Then I turn around, elbow sneeze.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:44 AM, ShadOBabe said:

Situation 1, wearing a short sleeve shirt. If you sneeze into your elbow without long sleeves, you’re gonna get a slimy, wet arm. But with the inside of your shirt, the fabric takes all the moisture.

Totally agree, sneezing into your bare elbow just feels so gross. That's why I sneeze into my upper arm/shoulder if I'm wearing short sleeves.

The reason being, if you sneeze inside your shirt, don't you still feel some of the wetness on your chest area? (At least I do, maybe I'm doing it wrong)

I only do the shirt if I'm not wearing any sleeves at all.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:44 AM, ShadOBabe said:

Situation 2, wearing a long sleeve shirt. In-shirt or in-elbow, your shirt fabric is taking a sneeze. And if it’s a messy sneeze, do you want everyone seeing the results left on your arm?

This is a good point. Although my sneezes almost always release spit rather than snot, so it's only caused an embarrassing situation a small handful of times. 

One thing I have heard people say is that the droplets of a sneeze are small enough to pass through the holes of a shirt, whereas the arm is a solid barrier which makes it better. What do you think about this?

On 3/17/2020 at 2:04 AM, Odyssey said:

I haven't heard of sneezing into a shirt, but I do sneeze into my elbow. It feels like I can "catch" it a little better. But if I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt, I sneeze a little above my elbow/near my shoulder, cause I don't like the sensation of it going on my skin lol

Same here. What do you do when you're wearing a sleeveless shirt though? (That's the only time I'll go for the inside of my shirt)