Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Rainbow Dash' parents?

Azureth

On 2021-11-18 at 10:29 AM, AppleButt said:

What’s there to really hate about them?  They were very supportive of their daughter as parents SHOULD be. Their flaw was that they supported her in an obnoxious loud way and had to learn to tone it down a bit, lol.   

On 2021-11-19 at 4:37 AM, Astral Soul said:

As everyone else in this show they are not perfect. They are loud and annoying when it comes tp their daughter but they love her from the bottom of their heart. I don't think it's the best example of parenting and I can fully understanding RD to minimize the contact to them. But the most important part of parenting they got down: love and support your child

The problem there is that nowhere in the episode did they acknowledge that they needed to tone it down at all - Rainbow Dash was presented as being 100% in the wrong for objecting to their grossly overbearing behavior (not just the fact that she bottled up her feelings until she finally blew her stack). Which made it difficult for many fans to allow them the slightest bit of sympathy.

Edited by HedonismBot

On 2021-11-21 at 12:41 AM, HedonismBot said:

The problem there is that nowhere in the episode did they acknowledge that they needed to tone it down at all - Rainbow Dash was presented as being 100% in the wrong for objecting to their grossly overbearing behavior (not just the fact that she bottled up her feelings until she finally blew her stack). Which made it difficult for many fans to allow them the slightest bit of sympathy.

I've never said I agree with RD being 100 % wrong here. In fact it's easy to understand RD's feelings here and also finally lashing out at them. This doesn't change my opinion about RD parents. But yes, this episode could have explored this situation and their relationships more.

• Brohoof 1

On 2020-03-19 at 11:57 PM, Azureth said:

I think they're kind of douches. They never once left to talk to their daughter in all that time, and it took Scootaloo kind of forcing the issue.

They were so much better than Scootaloo's parents.

They were completely loving their daughter, supporting her, and cheering her on. While Schootaloo's parents only had one interest, and that was not to care for Scootaloo or her friends or her feelings.

But back to the parents in question, or rather, why not talk about Rainbow Dash: I think it was Rainbow Dash that was the douche here, not taking their dedication to her fame seriously, like she was supposed to (she wants everypony to see how good she is, so why not her own family?)

• Brohoof 1

Yo, Lemme drop a Headcannon Bomb on yah.

It's based on my personal theory that every generation of a family, Irregardless of species, effects the next. 

They're not the worst, no, but little personality flaws can evolve a long way over the course of a life till they become a problem. Eeeeeveryone says that Rainbow Dash comes off harsh as a braggart. But here we see over-the-top parents who only want the best for their kid... to the point of being loud and obnoxious about it in front of others. Maybe at one point she was embarrassed about it, but since they acted that way about almost everything, all of the time, she got used to it and accepted it as a norm to be loudly up-front about everything she felt all of the time. And then that grew into self-doubt about what things she should hide.

We've seen RD go practically comatose over stage fright. We've seen her pretty much comit large scale company sabotage because she didn't understand the concept of Hibernation! I like to think each of the main six is about varying degrees of coping skills so that any being can grow up and cope with themselves too. Lil' Dash was taught to push herself... but not when to STOP pushing herself or what NOT to treat like a competition. 

Never forget that this be the mare that thinks having ticklish hooves will destroy her reputation and drive her out of town as if it wasn't the cutest thing ever and only made others love her more.

Her parents unintentionally made her just as unbearable. Its why I love this show! Everyone is a little bit of a wreck, and that's okay!~

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

They reminded me a lot of my own parents who I love so dearly. It hurt me a bit when RD shouted at them because it brought out the regret that I feel whenever I think of all the times I shouted at my own parents when they were trying to do good things for me.