Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Unicorn magic increase intelligence?

ggg-2

Unicorns seem to be the most intelligent of all races, with specific examples being Twilight (I mean duh, right? ^_^)  Sunburst, Sunset, Starlight, Sweetie Belle being the brains of the CMC.

Probably not necessarily, although being a unicorn opens more possibilities in science and magic fields.

I mean, these guys are not exactly bright:

large.jpeg

On the other hand, we have a time scientist Dr. Whooves, 2 earth pony doctors, one wise zebra, and a bunch of other smart non-unicorns.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Oleks said:

Probably not necessarily, although being a unicorn opens more possibilities in science and magic fields.

large.jpeg

On the other hand, we have a time scientist Dr. Whooves, 2 earth pony doctors, one wise zebra, and a bunch of other smart non-unicorns.

Perhaps they don't SEEM bright, but have you SEEN how zen Snails is? It's amazing!

6 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Perhaps they don't SEEM bright, but have you SEEN how zen Snails is? It's amazing!

Yep, Snails is a zen master. I'm not sure it makes him smart though.

Some may even argue that simply knowing a lot of spells or magic tricks doesn't make you intelligent, but it's just a matter of definition. Also, unicorns seem to have accumulated so much knowledge, because historically their weren't busy picking things with their mouths or controlling the weather.

One must study and practice in order to master their magical abilities. It doesn't come so naturally like the skills an Earth Pony or Pegasus has, and can be taken further than one's basic physical aptitude. While the other races can also enhance enhance themselves, there isn't as much creative maneuverability, particularly where they can apply their skills. Magic simply isn't bound in the same way. As a result, Unicorns are more often better educated, and this has set in as a cultural expectation as well, thus why they come off as being more intelligent.

• Brohoof 2

18 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Unicorns seem to be the most intelligent of all races, with specific examples being Twilight (I mean duh, right? ^_^)  Sunburst, Sunset, Starlight, Sweetie Belle being the brains of the CMC.

Rather, unicorn culture encourages intellectualism an studu over more practiacla fields.

I feel like the knowledge comes with the cutie mark rather than a horn, I mean snips and snails are a thing and Trixie is too she's great at deception but not smart in the sense of scholarly knowledge, I feel like the other races are sorta not given the opportunity of knowledge as easily as unicorns with the whole academy overseen by celestia being from what wweve seen entirely unicorns but to play my own devils advocate, unicorns are given magic where as other races are not and magic is inherently scholarly, so it is hard to say

Not sure about the school thing. Miss Cheerlee teaches a mixed class, and most unicorns only have a little magic that is appropriate to their cutie mark; Celestia's school has a stiff entrance exam, and is only open to "gifted" unicorns (presumably those whose cutie mark grants them a range of spells).  This may be a legacy from before the advent of the two princesses, because originally it took teams of magically gifted unicorns to raise the sun and moon.

Intelligence is not a “have and have nots” type thing. Twilight is very smart, but she can also turn into a complete bonehead when she gets stressed or desperate enough.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I wouldn't say that Unicorns are born inherently smarter. I would say the reason for them tending to be more intellectual is simply due to their culture. Their culture tends to push unicorns to go to school and get well educated. This is just like how Pegasus culture tells them to be physically active and athletic, and how Earth pony culture tells them to be strong and down to earth. Unicorns are just more likely to take their education a bit more seriously. Plus, magic school, which some unicorns go to, shows to be quite the intellectual practice.

This being said, that doesn't mean that pegasi and earth ponies can't be just as smart. I don't think that wanting to learn and be educated is a unicorn exclusive thing. I bet there are some really smart pegasi and earth ponies in Equestria. It just happens that more unicorns feel this way. And we have seen that not every unicorn is some super smart intellectual. So while they may tend to be the most intellectual, that doesn't mean that it's an inherently received trait.

• Brohoof 1

Unicorns are not born smart but they have more emphasis on studying and because its their culture and they dont have to do some chores on the field like Earth Pony or fly like Pegasus so they can focus on education.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 11:42 PM, Oleks said:

large.jpeg

Those two are such abominations :yeahno:

• Brohoof 1