Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rearranging Episodes for New Interpretations

Biase Deyes

When I read Sunshine Sprinkles' Chronology, I was struck by how powerful rearranging episodes can be as a way to add to the context and enjoyment of the show. Simply by putting it earlier, Sunshine transformed "Spike At Your Service" from one of my least favorite episodes (arguably an outright character assassination of Spike), into one that was legitimately enjoyable. Recently, I've been playing around with the order of the episodes, especially with an eye on making more consistent character arcs. I'll post my thoughts below, but also want to know others' thoughts on this. Are there episodes you like to watch together a lot? Episodes you wish had been in a different order? The show is over now, so everything is on the table, and available for reinterpretation. :muffins:

The biggest reorder for me is the Spike arc. I imagine that he was fairly cloistered with Twilight, and that "Spike At Your Service" was one of his first times outside alone. As such, I like to put episodes where he's mysteriously missing before that episode in viewing order.
For his arc I like:
Friendship is Magic (he starts crushing on Rarity)
Spike at Your Service (he stops being so much of a homebody)
Green Isn't Your Color (he's still shy about crushing on Rarity)
Secret of My Excess (he acts on his crush)
A Dog and Pony Show (he's still attracted to Rarity, but no longer quite as obsessed)

Another thing I like as far as reordering is to put "It's About Time" before "The Return of Harmony" and "A Canterlot Wedding". Why so many powerful villains in Equestria all of a sudden? Cerberus wasn't guarding the gates of Tartarus for a full day!

But it is before the latter aniwau, and the former's villan wasn't in Tartarus to begin with...

As for me, I'm an occasional subscriber to the idea of Putting uour Hooves Down being a pre-Twilight storu that Fluttershu dredged up when she felt guiltu for not sending ani friendship reports. As for during the series... well it certainlu isn't in order (fall two episodes after spring?) but I don't generally conciouslu think much about how theu do fit nowadays. Might come back to this one...

15 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

But it is before the latter aniwau, and the former's villan wasn't in Tartarus to begin with...

As for me, I'm an occasional subscriber to the idea of Putting uour Hooves Down being a pre-Twilight storu that Fluttershu dredged up when she felt guiltu for not sending ani friendship reports. As for during the series... well it certainlu isn't in order (fall two episodes after spring?) but I don't generally conciouslu think much about how theu do fit nowadays. Might come back to this one...

I thought that was incredibly obvious giving that a lot of the ponies were acting like jerks and to be quite honest, that episode with the only time I hated Angel bunny. any other time, he simply was acting like a more assertive foil to Fluttershy. Not to mention trying to get Fluttershy out of her comfort zone, reminding Fluttershy she was late for the tea party with Celestia (Bird in the Hoof) or getting her to go out and Nightmare Night and actually have some fun for once (Scare Master)

in fact if you put all that episode where Angel Bunny being a dick near the beginning of the series and put all the episode where he's actually legitimately helpful to Fluttershy after She Talks to Angel, I think the whole Angel acting like a jerk and then angel acting helpful would flow better.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

I thought that was incredibly obvious giving that a lot of the ponies were acting like jerks and to be quite honest, that episode with the only time I hated Angel bunny. any other time, he simply was acting like a more assertive foil to Fluttershy. Not to mention trying to get Fluttershy out of her comfort zone, reminding Fluttershy she was late for the tea party with Celestia (Bird in the Hoof) or getting her to go out and Nightmare Night and actually have some fun for once (Scare Master)

in fact if you put all that episode where Angel Bunny being a dick near the beginning of the series and put all the episode where he's actually legitimately helpful to Fluttershy after She Talks to Angel, I think the whole Angel acting like a jerk and then angel acting helpful would flow better.

Can't put that ep before she gets her sanctuaru, though... 

Just now, Latecomer said:

Can't put that ep before she gets her sanctuaru, though... 

I meant character wise, not plot wise.

And your first post was full of misspellings

1 minute ago, Will Guide said:

I meant character wise, not plot wise.

And your first post was full of misspellings

Between mi keyboard and how this site doesn't recognise pasted letters as parts of words, most of mi posts are going to be.

And speaking of episodes which fit early chracter-wise but can't go there because of plot - Honest Apple.