Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Does playing video games make one a loser?

Muffinnz

Iv been called a loser in the past because I enjoy video games

Does liking video games actually make someone a loser?

"OH, you like video games? That just means your not going to be anybody, ever. What a loser!" - random person

"Youre just a freak! And you have no friends!" - random person

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1

Absolutely not! It's preposterous to even think if that statement is true. Anyone who says that is blinded by fear. Video games help us learn and develop our skills and also boost social interactivity online. You go ahead and enjoy what you love doing the most. No-one's stopping you from being a gaming champ like me.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 3

No, of course not. Video games are a form of hobby and that’s it. The only reason some people see it as a negative way to spend time is because it makes you look lazy. You sit/lie there staring at a screen playing in a fictional universe. As long as you don’t let video games consume your life, you playing them is not a problem at all. Who cares if someone thinks it’s stupid? Don’t let someone else’s opinion change what you’re into. It’s none of their business.

• Brohoof 3

12 minutes ago, Muffinnz said:

Iv been called a loser in the past because I enjoy video games

Does liking video games actually make someone a loser?

"OH, you like video games? That just means your not going to be anybody, ever. What a loser!" - random person

"Your just a freak! And you have no friends!" - random person

... Did this ACTUALLY happen?

I don’t mean to insinuate that you’re not being honest, but the idea that someone would actually say that is ridiculous to me.

Video games are such a huge part of the current pop culture zeitgeist, that someone being all, “ew, video games” is practically on the level of, “ew, movies”.

I need more context. Who the hell is saying this to you? A relative? Someone at school? Someone online? And are you embellishing their attitude at all? Because this hypothetical person sounds like a cartoon antagonist.

• Brohoof 1

No, people who say that have their own problems that they project onto video games because they are too insecure.

(edited)
43 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

... Did this ACTUALLY happen?

I don’t mean to insinuate that you’re not being honest, but the idea that someone would actually say that is ridiculous to me.

Video games are such a huge part of the current pop culture zeitgeist, that someone being all, “ew, video games” is practically on the level of, “ew, movies”.

I need more context. Who the hell is saying this to you? A relative? Someone at school? Someone online? And are you embellishing their attitude at all? Because this hypothetical person sounds like a cartoon antagonist.

Iv been called a freak or a loser a few times but it was a long time ago tho I never just forgot about it. I remember a friend calling me a freak a couple of times. I was always the most unpopular kid at school so being pushed aside and getting called names was just normal. Now, I'm just kind of alone all the time. I'm not as social irl than online, although it's still hard to keep a conversation flowing online. Looks like they were right.

Usually on normal weeks (not quarantine weeks) i just spend a Saturday night gaming on my Xbox. All my other time was spent on school, homework, receiving tutoring, 2 sports, seeing a doctor twice a week, eating, and sleep.

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Muffinnz said:

Iv been called a freak or a loser a few times but it was a long time ago tho I never just forgot about it. I remember a friend calling me a freak a couple of times. I was always the most unpopular kid at school so being pushed aside and getting called names was just normal. Now, I'm just kind of alone all the time. I'm not as social irl than online, although it's still hard to keep a conversation flowing online. Looks like they were right.

Usually on normal weeks (not quarantine weeks) i just spend a Saturday night gaming on my Xbox. All my other time was spent on school, homework, receiving tutoring, 2 sports, seeing a doctor twice a week, eating, and sleep.

That’s really unfortunate. In my schools, geek stuff was always pretty popular.

Sounds like a healthy schedule! You play video games way less than I do. I’ve been spending just about every waking moment playing Animal Crossing the last two weeks.

Don’t let those idiots get you down. I’m willing to say they are OBJECTIVELY wrong. Video games are a common hobby.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

That’s really unfortunate. In my schools, geek stuff was always pretty popular.

Sounds like a healthy schedule! You play video games way less than I do. I’ve been spending just about every waking moment playing Animal Crossing the last two weeks.

Don’t let those idiots get you down. I’m willing to say they are OBJECTIVELY wrong. Video games are a common hobby.

Once the quarantine started everything was getting canceled so I have more time to stay home to spend on the tv but once the quarantine ends things will start getting busy again.

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1

No, there's nothing wrong with enjoying something. Whoever says something like that is not only wrong, but they probably have problems of their own.

• Brohoof 1

A loser is someone who is that precisely, a loser.

Losers are drug adicts, drunk people, people who don't have a home because they used all their money on bettings, etc, you got my idea. The rest are just different ways to enjoy life. 

• Brohoof 1

You worry too much about trivial things and what a "random person" has to say, man.

For the record, no it doesn't.

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Muffinnz said:

If you say that, of course you're not a loser. You're being a responsible person, taking care of schoolwork, doing sports, pretty much doing what a normal person does. And one night on gaming? Not a problem at all if you ask me. Just as long as you don't abandon your responsibilities, then you'd most likely won't be seen as "a loser".

And whoever said that to you, that was a long time ago, so just let it go. 

• Brohoof 1

No, especially not if you only play once a week. That's just a hobby, and no legal hobby makes a person a loser. It's just the social norm to bash people who are different. It's also the social norm to spend $500 on every set of clothes, spend $1,000 on a gaudy phone every year even if their current one works just fine, go into crippling debt, and blame the economy. Not judging people who do that, just pointing out that society doesn't necessarily make the most beneficial decisions sometimes.

Now, if you're like me and spend almost as much time playing video games as you do working, then it could make a person a loser.

Edited by Booker

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Booker said:

No, especially not if you only play once a week. That's just a hobby, and no legal hobby makes a person a loser. It's just the social norm to bash people who are different. It's also the social norm to spend $500 on every set of clothes, spend $1,000 on a gaudy phone every year even if their current one works just fine, go into crippling debt, and blame the economy. Not judging people who do that, just pointing out that society doesn't necessarily make the most beneficial decisions sometimes.

Now, if you're like me and spend almost as much time playing video games as you do working, then it could make a person a loser.

@Booker Well as you may have noticed, since we play video games with each other, after the whole coronavirus thing started Iv been having more time to play. But once things open back up again Ill probably revert back to every weekend.

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Muffinnz said:

@Booker Well as you may have noticed, since we play video games with each other, after the whole coronavirus thing started Iv been having more time to play. But once things open back up again Ill probably revert back to every weekend.

I have noticed. It's nice to be able to play more, but don't stress about it.

• Brohoof 1

I've never been called a loser because I like to play video games. People have hobbies and some people just can't accept that. However, I do believe if you are spending upwards of 12 hours straight playing games, by yourself, you may need to re-asses your choices.

The impression I get from people who aren’t gamers is that gamers lack ambition in life. I do sort of feel like this is true. Video games are a waste of time in my opinion and your skills do not translate to the real world. Sure there are exceptions, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule. Does gaming automatically make you a loser? No, but it can. I think as long as it does not affect other aspects of your life, gaming in moderation is fine.