Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Aaron Carter caught stealing copyrighted artwork

Luigi

I’ve been closely following this story on Twitter for quite some time. About a month or two ago, an artist by the name of Jonas Jodike, who has been an advocate for artist privacy rights, has been dealing with copyright based art theft for quite some time. Among the vandals is former Nickelodeon music star Aaron Carter. Here’s a screenshot of Jonas’ tweet that brought the controversy to the attention of Twitter

A5657B28-1CBD-4EC2-BF1A-A1B9CBB2CD17.thumb.jpeg.9dee1424cfc9184e984bd5ee7b366c37.jpeg

Jonas has been fighting this battle ever since then. I hadn’t listened to any of Carter’s music since the Jimmy Neutron movie, and I had already heard his brother Nick filed a successful restraining order against him. Carter responded saying “You should’ve taken it as a compliment (BLOCKED) a fan of MINE sent this to me. oh here they go again, the answer is No this image has been made public and im using it to promote my clothing line guess I’ll see you in small claims court (BLOCKED)” 

And today I logged into Twitter and Jonas tweets that now Carter is using the stolen artwork as his profile picture. I think what Carter has been doing in this whole issue is immature and unprofessional. Any thoughts on this?

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

If you don't want people stealing your artwork DON'T POST IT ONLINE! :please:

But then what's the point of making art if no one will ever see it? 

• Brohoof 5

I'm not 100% on the legal matters this is more of my opinion/view on the subject.

9The lines of what counts as a intellectual property right violation when it comes to visual art can be bit tricky I think since lot of people don't really understand the topic at all.

There are couple ways on how you can approach the situation. First is that if you use a online service to share your art in and on that service there is not a disclaimer on the page on which the art is displayed about the rights of usage of the piece it becomes increasingly more unclear on what the implications of the usage of the piece are.

Some people use this as their advantage since lot of people don't know what to do when such rights are violated and where to draw the line.

Things become increasingly more clear if the piece in question is used directly or indirectly associated with financial gain, such as advertisements etc.

If there is no commercial usage it can always be argued that the usage is fair use unless it was directly stated that  such usage is not fair. Or if the piece in question is a product behind a paywall etc. 

However I think the best way to combat against stuff like this if you are paranoid is what I've seen some people do which is if you want to share the art publicly share a crap low res version or insane watermarked product or some other way crippled product.

• Brohoof 1

Aaron Carter? I haven’t heard from him in forever. Way to make a comeback, bro :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

That’s not how it works Sparks. If it isn’t yours, DON’T STEAL IT!

Also, wow, Aaron Carter. Had a huge crush on him when I was little. Unfortunately (but unsurprisingly), he grew up to be a total punk.

• Brohoof 3

37 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

Aaron Carter? I haven’t heard from him in forever. Way to make a comeback, bro :ButtercupLaugh:

That’s the worst part. He looked so good in the music video for the song he wrote for Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius the Movie, and now he grew up to be THIS

• Brohoof 2

18 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Tbf this is kinda true. If you post stuff online, there is always gonna be someone that would steal it. It's something that comes as a certainty, so if artists really don't want their artwork to be stolen, then they shouldn't post it online.

Then again, many artists make art with the intention to showing it to other people, so what we end up with is a sticky situation :wacko: . 

• 2 weeks later...