Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aviation, planes!

DubWolf

(edited)

Anything flying/airplanes of all kinds (model collection, RC, real planes, experiences) welcome here :P . I can talk about this alll day but there aren’t many channels for that.... last thread is buried somewhere.

I’ve been immersed in it for a long time. When I can’t fly (like recently :yeahno:), I’ll have my desktop simulator to do most of what I can do in real life, at least as far as procedures and controls go. I’ve got a blog too :ooh: . Might add something soon.

Feel free to share anything at all related :P .

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 2

When I was a kid, I got to ride in a Stearman biplane. The pilot, who also owned it, told me that his was used as a trainer for pilots going into WWII. I got to wear a leather helmet with goggles and everything! It was real exciting to watch the wooden controls moving in my part of the cockpit. The pilot warned me most seriously "Do not touch them!"   It was a blast, until he did a tail stand and I thought I was gonna die! It looked almost exactly like the picture I am posting here. It was even the same coloring as this one!

stearman-640x300.jpg

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

When I was a kid, I got to ride in a Stearman biplane. The pilot, who also owned it, told me that his was used as a trainer for pilots going into WWII. I got to wear a leather helmet with goggles and everything! It was real exciting to watch the wooden controls moving in my part of the cockpit. The pilot warned me most seriously "Do not touch them!"   It was a blast, until he did a tail stand and I thought I was gonna die! It looked almost exactly like the picture I am posting here. It was even the same coloring as this one!

stearman-640x300.jpg

That’s something I’ve wanted to do too; no windshield, air-in-the-face flying. Toss some loops in there too :P . Might not be practical with glasses though.

I have always liked blimps. It is sad that they never became reliable. They are majestic, and kinda scary looking. I like that! :o

13 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

I have always liked blimps. It is sad that they never became reliable. They are majestic, and kinda scary looking. I like that! :o

Do they use those anymore :wacko: ? It's been a longtime since I've seen one.

22 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Do they use those anymore :wacko: ? It's been a longtime since I've seen one.

I was hoping you would know more.

Imagine how much more comfortable and roomy it would be to travel over seas? Well, for some reason, having so much gas above you, it would just require a little spark to ignite. And there are plenty of those sparks up in the sky!

Just the shape of a blimp, the fans driving it, the size. It is a wonderful concept!

11 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

I was hoping you would know more.

Imagine how much more comfortable and roomy it would be to travel over seas? Well, for some reason, having so much gas above you, it would just require a little spark to ignite. And there are plenty of those sparks up in the sky!

Just the shape of a blimp, the fans driving it, the size. It is a wonderful concept!

They're called boats :P . Not sure about their operating costs versus an airplane, but I'd have to imagine it's lower. Low enough that maybe it could be done in comfort than packed like in a plane.

• Brohoof 1

@WWolf So are you worried that airplanes will be replaced by faster travel such as space travel. Sending people in rockets up into space to shorten the time it takes to travel between countries? :o

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

Well, for some reason, having so much gas above you, it would just require a little spark to ignite. And there are plenty of those sparks up in the sky!

Erm, hydrogen hasnt been used for many years, helium has almost the same lifting properties as hydrogen, but is NOT flammable.
What sparks? Lightning? Aircraft are hit but infrequently, my a/c has only been hit once in 10,000hrs of flying

Edited by Dawnchaser
  • Brohoof 1

@Super SplasheeProbably only long-range travel may be replaced by that (flights that are normally say.... at least transatlantic flights maybe. Definitely transpacific stuff). Most of that stuff is just being tested now (see Virgin Galactic). Don't see it very practical to go to space for relatively short flights, much like you'd probably drive over fly small distances.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Dawnchaser said:

Looking east over London (Heathrow in the foreground)

image.thumb.jpeg.ce01bd3695e05a6b70a77863d1348aad.jpeg

Tops any of my pictures down low :P .

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, WWolf said:

@Super SplasheeProbably only long-range travel may be replaced by that (flights that are normally say.... at least transatlantic flights maybe. Definitely transpacific stuff). Most of that stuff is just being tested now (see Virgin Galactic). Don't see it very practical to go to space for relatively short flights, much like you'd probably drive over fly small distances.

The ballistic rocket was a mainstay in 'Golden Age' science fiction. It would get you from one continent to another in minutes instead of hours.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The ballistic rocket was a mainstay in 'Golden Age' science fiction. It would get you from one continent to another in minutes instead of hours.

Lol as was the Sonic Cruiser and ideas of supersonic flight becoming the mainstream. They later found out it was exponentially more expensive than subsonic.

The catch is there’s hardly any drag or air in space :mlp_icwudt:. It’s free high-speed :wacko: .

2 hours ago, WWolf said:

Lol as was the Sonic Cruiser and ideas of supersonic flight becoming the mainstream. They later found out it was exponentially more expensive than subsonic.

The catch is there’s hardly any drag or air in space :mlp_icwudt:. It’s free high-speed :wacko: .

I wouldn't mind taking a ballistic rocket flight, but it would feel like such a rip-off if I didn't make at least one orbit!

6 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

No, only science fiction!?

I know how far science fiction has gotten us :dry:

A thread about aviation must have at least one F-117 (as well as a poster in your bedroom):
F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

• Brohoof 1

8 year old me had it in my head that I would grow up to be a pilot. Of course, life took me elsewhere, but it's on my bucket list to learn to fly someday. 

• Brohoof 1

The FAA has free resources available for learning. There’s the airplane flying handbook and the pilot’s handbook of aeronautical knowledge. All can be experimented upon with FS2004/X-plane, a control yoke, and a desktop computer :nom: .

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

And of course, the "Vomit Comet":
zero-g-reduced-gravity-aircraft-image10.

(Tutorial: How not to fly an airplane!)

I cried when I saw how much Stephen Hawking enjoyed his ride on the Vomit Comet. Just for one tiny moment, his body could fly as free as his mind. 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, WWolf said:

The FAA has free resources available for learning. There’s the airplane flying handbook and the pilot’s handbook of aeronautical knowledge. All can be experimented upon with FS2004/X-plane, a control yoke, and a desktop computer :nom: .

Oh cool! I'll have to look into it. :o

• Brohoof 1