Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aviation, planes!

DubWolf

So, the most scary and dangerous thing I have heard about, when flying a plane, is to lose sight of where you are relative to the the ground. You have to completely rely on your instruments, even when your body tells you you are flying correctly.

I know that panic feeling. :sealed:

22 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

So, the most scary and dangerous thing I have heard about, when flying a plane, is to lose sight of where you are relative to the the ground. You have to completely rely on your instruments, even when your body tells you you are flying correctly.

I know that panic feeling. :sealed:

Hahaha yes. That or you crash into terrain directly in front of you. 

Serious topic, but this video makes me laugh. Sounds like a horror movie :laugh: .

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, WWolf said:

Serious topic, but this video makes me laugh. Sounds like a horror movie :laugh: .

WH*T TH* F*** W*S *HAT :BornAgainBrony:

Seriously, that was scary. I thought he would live. That didn't even tell how to prevent such an accident!

Better tell us how to prevent such an accident?

(edited)
2 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

I fly unmanned aircraft, so everything I know about aviation comes down to the instruments. It's paramount that you trust your instruments over your instincts, because your instincts can be flawed.

However in practice, I'm not sure I'd be able to do that. I'd have to train and break bad habits first, I'm sure, because again, I've only ever flown unmanned.

(Well not counting the 20 or so hours I have in a VFR aircraft)

1 hour ago, WWolf said:

Oh yes, the infamous "graveyard spin". It's a mistake that a lot of VFR pilots make when entering inadvertent instrument meteorological conditions (IIMC). When you can't see outside your window, it's easy for you to become disoriented.

Reading up on famous cases of this kind of accident, it seems to be caused by pilots trusting their instincts over their instruments. Your body's natural sense of balance can be fooled if you are in an elongated turn; after some time you will feel level in a turn, and when you level out you will feel an overwhelming sensation of turning the opposite direction. If you follow your instincts, you will over-correct and continue the turn, usually by smashing your rudder in such a way that puts your aircraft in a spin.

The key is to manually override your instincts with knowledge about your aircraft's attitude. Fortunately you have reliable indicators on your instrument panel to help you with this, but it's all too easy to forget to trust your instruments when your body feels something entirely different.

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

I fly unmanned aircraft, so everything I know about aviation comes down to the instruments. It's paramount that you trust your instruments over your instincts, because your instincts can be flawed.

However in practice, I'm not sure I'd be able to do that. I'd have to train and break bad habits first, I'm sure, because again, I've only ever flown unmanned.

(Well not counting the 20 or so hours I have in a VFR aircraft)

Oh yes, the infamous "graveyard spin". They warned about this in ground school, it's a problem that a lot of noob pilots make when they trust their instincts more than their instruments, plus rely on their rudder alone to make their turns rather than rolling and applying the rudder gradually. It's all too easy to panic and do something drastic when you can't see the ground.

Or more often the graveyard spiral :wacko: . I actually named the 172 in FS9 N178GS :ButtercupLaugh:.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:27 PM, Meson Bolt said:

That is so cool. Admitting that it is difficult, and still doing it is quite brave.

Always trust those instruments, not what you body tells you.

Especially since you can't feel if you are flying in a direction upwards or downwards if you are accelerating or decelerating at the same time, and can't see anything. The instinct are not longer valid, and you have to look at the instruments, and hope they are working (which they pretty much are)

On 4/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, Super Splashee said:

That is so cool. Admitting that it is difficult, and still doing it is quite brave.

Always trust those instruments, not what you body tells you.

Especially since you can't feel if you are flying in a direction upwards or downwards if you are accelerating or decelerating at the same time, and can't see anything. The instinct are not longer valid, and you have to look at the instruments, and hope they are working (which they pretty much are)

Part of basic instrument training the instructor will have you close your eyes, then they’ll maneuver around and maybe have you shake your head around. You’ll be surprised what the actual flight attitude is when you open your eyes versus what you felt you were at :ooh: .

• Brohoof 1

44 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Part of basic instrument training the instructor will have you close your eyes, then they’ll maneuver around and maybe have you shake your head around. You’ll be surprised what the actual flight attitude is when you open your eyes versus what you felt you were at :ooh: .

In a real plane? Or a simulation? I guess a simulation, right?

(edited)
28 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

In a real plane? Or a simulation? I guess a simulation, right?

Nope, in the plane :P . They’ll obviously do this in visual flight conditions or this wouldn’t be safe, but you’ll be simulating flying in a cloud by... closing your eyes. Then you can guess what flight attitude you’re in.

They may also have you close your eyes, out you into a spiral and have you recover (when you open your eyes)

Edited by WWolf

Just now, WWolf said:

Nope, in the plane :P . They’ll obviously do this in visual flight conditions or this wouldn’t be safe, but you’ll be simulating flying in a cloud by... closing your eyes. Then you can guess what flight attitude you’re in.

This is really really scary stuff. How can you like this?

Spoiler

I only know of one more scarier thing than flight, and I brought it up here at the board once, to have the main administrator PM me about it to see if I was alright. Yep.... Scary things are scary!

9 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

This is really really scary stuff. How can you like this?

Hide contents

I only know of one more scarier thing than flight, and I brought it up here at the board once, to have the main administrator PM me about it to see if I was alright. Yep.... Scary things are scary!

It's not scary if you look at your instruments and they aren't all failing :P . See video above :wacko: . All he had to have done was look at his attitude indicator which directly tells the pilot if they're banked hard, pitched way up/down, etc. Assuming it hasn't failed. Although yeah if you suddenly catch yourself in a spiral in the clouds, it's good to have had that "instrument scan" to quickly orient yourself, else you're spending good time trying to figure out what's going on until it's too late. You open your mouth to scream...

8 minutes ago, WWolf said:

else you're spending good time trying to figure out what's going on until it's too late. You open your mouth to scream...

I have the same humor as you, so I actually laugh :ButtercupLaugh:

Also that video's narrator has one of those annoying voices similar to "Myth Busters" etc... I just can't take that voice anymore. :BornAgainBrony:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

I have the same humor as you, so I actually laugh :ButtercupLaugh:

Also that video's narrator has one of those annoying voices similar to "Myth Busters" etc... I just can't take that voice anymore. :BornAgainBrony:

It's almost as if the narrator secretly likes this guy getting himself disoriented. Also that dramatic tone-shift when "you now have, 178 seconds to live" :laugh: .

Here's a parody lull

Edited by WWolf

• 1 year later...
On 2020-04-05 at 5:05 AM, WWolf said:

Anything flying/airplanes of all kinds (model collection, RC, real planes, experiences) welcome here :P . I can talk about this alll day but there aren’t many channels for that.... last thread is buried somewhere.

I’ve been immersed in it for a long time. When I can’t fly (like recently :yeahno:), I’ll have my desktop simulator to do most of what I can do in real life, at least as far as procedures and controls go. I’ve got a blog too :ooh: . Might add something soon.

Feel free to share anything at all related :P .

I've been fascinated by aviation my whole life, so this thread definitely peeked my interest. Sadly never had the chance or money to make a license or to get fully crazy into this. But highly interest and fly now and then a bit on Simulation like XPlane10 while I started with MSFlight 2.0 many many years ago xD Well, it got less and less over the years to be honest, but still >D When I finally can buy a new computer I'm gonna most likely also test the MS FlightSim 2020 :>

Definitely would love to know some more aviation fans :>

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-11-03 at 12:02 PM, Astral Soul said:

I've been fascinated by aviation my whole life, so this thread definitely peeked my interest. Sadly never had the chance or money to make a license or to get fully crazy into this. But highly interest and fly now and then a bit on Simulation like XPlane10 while I started with MSFlight 2.0 many many years ago xD Well, it got less and less over the years to be honest, but still >D When I finally can buy a new computer I'm gonna most likely also test the MS FlightSim 2020 :>

Definitely would love to know some more aviation fans :>

There's a discord server I'm in with LOTS of other aviation fans of all sorts. Flight simmers, photographers, pilots, etc. I'm not able to send a link for some reason. I can figure it out later if you want to ask me for it.

As far as simulators, I've heard FS2020 is great for sceneries and literally you are downloading the world 3D into your computer. Yes, you will be able to see your house.

Flying-wise and realism, I've heard X-Plane is better. FSX and FS9 too, but those are pretty old (I use FS9/FS2004).

The simulators will even give you lessons if you want to an extent.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, WWolf said:

There's a discord server I'm in with LOTS of other aviation fans of all sorts. Flight simmers, photographers, pilots, etc. I'm not able to send a link for some reason. I can figure it out later if you want to ask me for it.

As far as simulators, I've heard FS2020 is great for sceneries and literally you are downloading the world 3D into your computer. Yes, you will be able to see your house.

Flying-wise and realism, I've heard X-Plane is better. FSX and FS9 too, but those are pretty old (I use FS9/FS2004).

The simulators will even give you lessons if you want to an extent.

No worries :> I have started to use discord (mostly) for this site and to connect to it's user. Maybe I should enlarge this circle :> I'm gonna send ya a dm

I heard many good things about FS2020 especially about it's weather simulation and yes also about it should show every single house on this planet. Sadly I didn't manage to buy new components for my computer the prices on the market went sky rocketing, so I will do this after it went back to normal

That's what XPlane has always been advertising and I think it's true for these old sims at least

It's always a good thing to get more lessons :>

• 1 year later...
On 2023-03-22 at 4:22 PM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Had some fun on Microsoft Flight SimulatorB)  

Which one? MSFS? I have FS2004 (or FS9). From what I’ve heard MSFS is eye candy but from a simulation standpoint, it’s sub par.

X-plane would be the go to for it, by the looks of it.

I love flying and planes. I wanted to learn how to fly when I was young but couldn’t afford the lessons. I considered training as a Flight Attendant for Allegiant when my job security wasn’t looking great, but it never panned out and I stuck around. I had a flight booked on a 787 Dreamliner for a trip overseas but I had to cancel, much to my regret. I love flying on trips because it’s just as much fun as the destination.

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

I'm scared of heights (and motion sick too) but I do find aviation history of various kinds fascinating. There's some wild stuff that's happened :sealed:

I have flown on commercial flights though. I cope by not looking out the window and sleeping :coco:

On 2020-04-05 at 9:53 AM, Splashee said:

I have always liked blimps. It is sad that they never became reliable. They are majestic, and kinda scary looking. I like that! :o

I use to live in Akron Ohio and the Goodyear blimp is out flying around on any day with nice weather. They give rides to some people with the big bucks. You can go to a park though to watch them put it up or down though and it’s kinda crazy looking.

we also have the huge building that made the blimp to. Some people told me the whole roof opens up but idk if I believe that or not.