Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Silent Crime

Pencil J. Doodle

(edited)

Part 5

(OOC Guys, DO NOT POST OOC COMMENTS IN THE RP. Save that for the OOC, I will still read them)

“Wait, What? No!” Said Rook.

“Then why are you three having fun on the couch?” laughed Splinter

“Splinter, this is serious! Doodle is here!” Yelled Starbolt. Everypony went quiet for a moment.

Finally, Murray laughed. “Why is are you three so worried? I’m sure the four of us can easily stop one mad stallion.

Meteor got off the couch and took a deep breath to collect herself. “It won’t be that easy.”

Meteor explained what happened to her and Starbolt at the lake, and how there were multiple Doodle clones there. “If there were four of them there, who knows how many of them exist. The Doodles also had extremely powerful magic. I doubt the four of you can take an army of him.”

Sly snickered, and Meteor gave him an angry glare “What the hell’s so funny?”

Sly wiped his eye, “It’s just, you guys are all scared of a pony named Doodle. That just seems a bit funny”

Meteor marched right up to Sly and looked him in the eye, “I see you have wings and a cutie mark still. Doodle took those away from me while I still alive. I won’t be able to have a life now thanks to that monster. Do you still think that’s funny!?”

Sly looked quite scared of this Meteor, and he backed down, “Er.. uh, No ma’am...Sorry”

Splinter chuckled for a second before getting a death glare from Meteor

“*Ahem* It looks like our position in the house has been compromised. I think I can spring for another safe house on short notice.” said Splinter. With that, he left for his bedroom.

Starbolt and Meteor had calmed down. Meteor went to the kitchen to get some water, but found that she couldn’t reach the cabinet for the glasses. She instinctively jumped up to to fly and get it, but fell flat on the ground. “Grrr...”

“Here let me get that for you.” said Rook as he entered the kitchen. He used his magic to open the cabinet, let a glass float to the sink, and filled it with water. He then gave it to Meteor, who took it out of the air.

“...thanks...” She said, rather ashamed. She wasn’t accustomed to getting help, nor did she like it that much. They was an awkward silence as she drank it.

Rook was afraid to ask her any questions, but he needed to know. “Umm... How are you holding up?” Rook asked. She looked at him as if she didn't know what he was talking about. “I mean... it must have been a traumatic experience, with him nearly killing you again...”

“I’m... Holding up as well anypony would expect...”

“I think you dealing with the situation very well. Most ponies wouldn’t be able to handle that. You must have a very strong personality... What kept you together?”

“The thought that you would save me again...”

“What?” Rook wasn’t expecting that answer

“I...I meant, Uh...” Meteor stammered, she didn’t mean to say that. Meteor began to blush. Dammit, did I really just say that aloud? “I mean... I need to talk to Starbolt...” and she ran right past Rook.

“Umm...OK” What in Tartarus just happened? He thought to himself.

***In Splinter’s Room***

Splinter opened up his phone and dialed number one on his speed dial. After ringing a while, a sleepy female voice answered.

“...what do you want?” She said.

“Honey, it’s me” Splinter said, cracking a smile.

“...what the? Splinter?”

“Yep”

“How many times have I told you not to call me honey?”

“I thought you liked it.” Splinter chucked a bit. He missed his little conversations with Skye.

“I hoped when you would retire, I wouldn’t have to deal with you anymore. Anyway, I’m tired and busy. I’ve been up all night working.” Splinter laughed. She sighed. “Of course you would think it in that way. Good bye Splinter...”

“Wait, I’m sorry Skye. I really need your help right now. There is a murderer on the loose, and I have some... Friends I need to hide.”

“... Is it the muderer?” Skye said, annoyed.

Splinter rolled his eyes, “Of couse not.”

“This isn’t my problem. Talk to the Legion if you want help.”

“I’m not on best terms with the Legion right now.”

“Your a freaking mercenary! You can handle a crazy stallion with a knife.”

“We are in a bit more trouble than that, not to mention the Police are after us.”

“Why am I not surprised?”

I just need to hide my Friends. They aren’t the fighting types. Please, do it for me. Besides, you owe me.”

“For what?”

“You know...”

Skye was silent for a moment, then she sighed. “Why do I let you convince me so easily? I’ll send a transport for you guys. It’ll be there in around five minutes. Can you handle yourself until then?”

“We’ll see. Thanks, Honey.”

“Don’t push it...”

Part 6

Splinter came downstairs. “Alright everypony, I have a friend picking us up in a while. She said five minutes.”

Sly nodded. “Good to know. I was getting sick of this place anyway.” He sat down on the sofa.

Just at that time, the door knocked. “Open up! Police!” Everypony in the room froze. Out of all the times for this to happen, this was the worst. Splinter instinctively reached for his gun.

“Wait!” Rook whispered loudly, “I got a better idea...”

The Police pony kept pounding on the door.

“Cool it, will ya? I seriously doubt that anypony's home.” Said the Officer's partner.

“That's it,” said the older Officer, “I'm breakin' down the door!” Just as the the powerful Earth Pony reared it's to kick the door open, Rook opened it. The Officer fell down with out anything to balance him. “Grr... it's about time...”

“Hello good sirs, how may I help you?” Rook tried to be as calm as he could, but he was wanted by the police, as was everypony in the house.

As the fallen officer got up, his partner said, “We're trying to find a mare,” He took out a picture and showed it to Rook. It was a picture of Meteor, except with her wings and cutie mark. It looked to be an envelope. Have you seen her before?”

“I can't say that I have...” Rook lied, “What do you need her for?”

The Officers paused for a moment to think this through. “Uh... She was supposedly... involved with a pony we are looking for”

Involved as in Doodle cutting off her wing, I persume? Rook thought to himself.

“What's going on?” Starbolt walked in to the doorway. One of the Officers moved his sunglasses down to get a better look at her.

“Erm... hello Ma'am. We are looking for somepony” He handed her the picture.

“No... Haven't really seen her before.”

“Right... May we search the house?”

“Not really, no... We were just about to go to lunch in a little bit” He said, putting his hoof around Starbolt. The whole situation was a bit awkward for both of them, but they made it seem convincing.

“No matter, we'll just search any – OW!” The other officer kicked his partner in the side.

“No need for that,” He said, “enjoy your lunch”

“Bye! Have a nice day.” Starbolt said as the Officers left.

Rook shut the door. “Phew, That couple routine worked like a charm!” Said Rook, “The coast is clear! You guys can come out now! We'll go out the back.”

“They seemed like a nice couple” Said one of the of the officers.

“I'm telling you, something is fishy about them! I got this gut feeling”

“Is it the same gut feeling that said a squirrel was the the murderer?”

“... I had a lot to drink that night. Don't bring it up”

There was a rustle in the bushes behind them. The officers turned around and saw a light brown Unicorn with red hair.

“Hey where'd you come fr - GAH!” Another Doodle came up from behind the officers and stabbed a knife straight through him. The other officer tried to pull out his gun, but a third Doodle came out and slit his throat.

Both the officers fell to the ground, dead. The first Doodle looked at the door, and kicked it open.

“Empty,” the Doodle hissed, “There here somewhere!”

The group was now waiting in a clearing for Splinter's contact. It had been over ten minutes.

“Splinter, how do you know she will show?” Starbolt asked.

“I know what your thinking... literally.” Splinter said. Starbolt rolled her eyes, “I trust Skye. She always comes through in the end.”

“How exactly do you know her?” asked Rook.

Splinter paused for a second. He knew what Rook was thinking and didn't want to confirm it yet. “... Classified.”

There was a faint rumble in the distance. It slowly got louder and closer. Splinter didn't seem afraid, but the rest of the team was worried.

“Splinter, what the hell is that noise?” Meteor asked.

Splinter smiled, “A Truck”

“What the hay is a Truck?”

Meteor's question was soon answered as a large metal beast pulled up. It was looked like a train, but had no tracks. It made a low grumbling noise as it pulled up and had a thick, burning smell to it. From the front, a door opened and a female dark blue Pegasus came out.

“Skye! Good to see you!” Splinter said.

“I wish I could say the same for you” Skye said, walking past him. She looked at Rook, Starbolt, Meteor, and the Thieves. “I take it these are your friends?”

“More or less. What took you so long?”

“When I said I needed a transport for Splinter, the Legion wasn't too happy with the request.”

“I see,” Splinter looked at the group, “Everpony, get in the Truck.”

“Ok...” said Starbolt as she looked into the open back of it. She assume that was what he was talking about and got in. Meteor followed suit. “Come on guys!”

Rook was about to get on when Sly yelled “We got company!” The four Doodles came out of the clearing.

“They they are!” Doodle yelled. Splinter pulled out his machine gun emptied the clip, killing all of them.

“Well, That was easy...” Skye said, “Looks like you still know how to use your gun, perhaps you didn't need me...”

Just as she said that, more Doodles appeared to come out of the forest. Soon, they were surrounded by at least two dozen Doodles. They were just standing there. Everypony was silent and still.

Splinter was about to reach for his gun when Skye said “Wait, they may be waiting to be provoked... Lets get into the truck and see what happens.” Just as Skye started to move, Murray sneezed.

The Doodles all came to life and charged at the thieves. With their sharpened teeth, they tried to bite and rip off their flesh, just as a wolf does to its prey. The Thieve gang was fighting them off to the best of their ability. “GO!” yelled Sly at Skye.

“You heard him! Let's go!” She and Splinter jumped into the truck and she stepped on the gas. The Truck lurched ahead and slowly gained speed. Rook, Storm, and Meteor held on tight as the Truck rushed though the bumpy forest to the road.

“I think we lost them.” Skye said.

“We need to go back and get the other guys!” Starbolt yelled

“Too late, I doubt they're still alive.”

Everypony was quiet, Doodle had just taken his next victims. This time, they weren't meticulously cut apart, but ripped up like by an pack of monster Doodle ponies.

Suddenly, a bunch of Police Pegasi started Fly around the Car. “Halt Your vehicle, thing” They said, “or prepared to be stopped.”

“Try me!” Skye yelled. She swerved the Truck left and right and stepped on it, leaving the Pegasi in the dust. She then quickly turned around to confuse the police, so quickly that Rook fell out of the back of the truck. He tumbled down the roadside and hit his head on a large boulder.

Everything went black.

Edited by AnonyZiod
  • Brohoof 2

“Splinter, how do you know she will show?” Splinter asked.

“I know what your thinking... literally.” Starbolt rolled her eyes, “I trust Skye. She always comes through in the end.

Is that a typo?

“Splinter, how do you know she will show?” Splinter asked.

“I know what your thinking... literally.” Starbolt rolled her eyes, “I trust Skye. She always comes through in the end.

Is that a typo?

No... Splinter was talking, starbolt rolled her eyes

No... Splinter was talking, starbolt rolled her eyes

Splinter, how do you know she will show?” Splinter asked.

Splinter was asking himself? :o

• 3 months later...

Part 7

“We need to go back! Rook fell out!” Starbolt yelled, trying to talk over the noise of the Truck.

“It’s too late! The police have got to him! We need to keep going!” Skye said, trying to to drive.

“ARE YOU CRAZY!?” Meteor yelled at the top of her lungs. “You’re just going to just leave him there?”

“Splinter, don’t just sit there, say something!” Starbolt demanded.

“I’m sorry guys, Skye is right. Rocky probably died from that fall. If he’s still alive, the police or Doodles will get him before we can get back there... thats life. He’s a casualty now, and we need to move on.”

Meteor had a horrified look on her face. How could Splinter be so willing to give up on Rook? There was still a chance. “He came back for me, now I want to go back for him...”

“I admire your loyalty, hun, but I don’t want to risk your lives on that slim chance. I’m sorry.” Skye said. The group went quiet. Rook was...gone... Skye suddenly turned the truck off the road, into the desert. “We’ll be at the Legion shortly. We will see what we can do once we get there...”

Ach...Headache...

Rook slowly came to. He had one of those nail-in-the-head headaches, a groggy feeling, and his throat felt really dry. As he opened his eyes, there was a bright white flash that blinded him. At first he thought it was the sun, but... why was the sky black? Rook took a second to register that he was in a chair. There was a metal table in front of him, and a mirror at his left.

Wait a minute... this is an interrogation room...

Suddenly, there was a loud buzzing noise. The door opened and a scruff looking Earth Pony detective came in. He had had on a suit and was carrying a large file. The detective walked up to the table, and dropped the file on the table, making a loud thud. The pony then sat down on the other side. He leaned forward to get a better look at Rook. Neither of them said anything, and it was quiet enough to hear the clock tick.

After a while, the pony opened up the file. “It’s a good thing the other officers were able to pick you up. I am surprised you survived that fall... Rook, I presume?” His voice was very thick, yet calm, “No last name known. Just Rook. An interesting name...” Rook stayed quiet as the pony flipped the pages. He could see where this was going. “Parental origin unknown. Raised in an orphanage.” The pony looked up, “I take it you got your name here? I bet you played a mean game of chess...”

“Alright, What do you want? Why am I here?” Rook finally spoke. He didn’t see the point of this.

The detective looked up from the file. “You want to get down to business? Ok... then,” He pulled out a bunch photographs and handed them to Rook. He held all of them up with his magic, pretending that he was taking a good look on who they were. It was obvious who they were. They were pictures of Meteor, Starbolt, Splinter, and the thieves, as well as himself.

“These are really nice.” Rook said, sarcastically. “Did you take these yourself?”

“I take it you know these ponies?”

“Not that I know of, no” Rook lied. Rook was good at keeping his cool in situations like this. It let out his sarcastic side.

“What about her?” The Detective pointed at Meteor.

“Hm... Maybe? She looks like a mailmare. I might see her everyday.” Rook pretended he needed another look at the picture. “She’s nice looking. I would date her.”

“No, you wouldn’t” The detective blurted out almost instantly.

“...Hm? Is that in your big file on me?”

“Maybe”

“Well,” Rook took another, real, look at the picture. Meteor was in a pose near a tree. You could see her smiling and winking in the photo, her wings stretched out, casting a dark shadow on her legs. She had angled herself so you could see her envelope cutie mark. She looked very attractive. She looked... happy. “Yeah, you’re probably right. She’s way out of my league.”

The detective rolled his eyes and pulled out another photo, this time of Doodle. “You know him, correct?”

“Maybe...” Rook said. “Probably not. He’s got one of them faces.”

Suddenly, the detective slammed his hoof on the table, startling Rook. “Enough shit, just give me a straight answer!”

“What’s the use? You seem to know already” Rook wasn’t sure if he was playing his cards right, but he didn’t want the police to make the connection between all of them. At this point, Rook knew the Detective knew everything, and was using him to confirm things. Rook also knew that he was probably on death row at this point, so he was going to make it as hard as possible for the Detective.

“Well, let’s see if I can jog your memory.” He said angrily, “This stallion,” He points at Doodle’s picture. “Is a mass murderer”

“I’m sorry, but I thought that murders simply ‘do not happen’ in Equestria.”

The detective ignored that comment. “You have quite a history, Rook. On many occasions, you have interfered with police affairs, been accused of several obstructions of justice, and you have not one, but two full vigilante offenses. You realize that a vigilante offence is a capital crime, right?”

Rook cleared his throat, “I should point out that I was acquitted of all vigilante charges, both times. All the other stuff are minor charges, which have no effect on my personal record, as stated in Equestrian Legal Code, Section 3, Subsection F, Title 73a, Article 1-2d, which states that “Any minor charges where the accused civilian who helped or benefited the police forces in that specific case are forgiven if the accused did not harm a pony directly or indirectly.”

‘Wha-?”

“I think you will find that I know more about what’s going on than you think. Those annoying things I did benefited the police in some way. You should thank me.”

“Well, you’re real deep in shit now, kid. Right now, I have enough on you to have you executed right now. This group,” He pointed at the pictures on the table, “Are all on the most wanted list now. Especially her.” He pointed at Meteor.

“I don’t understand, what did... these ponies do, and how am I connected?” Rook motioned at the picture of Meteor, “She doesn’t look like a ‘vigilante’?"

“She is a witness. She is going to start panic among the civilians.”

“And what about Me? Why should I care?” Rook said, acting like it wasn’t his problem.

The detective gave a little chuckle, “I know you care. It’s in your nature. This... little mask you're wearing with me, it’s just that. A mask. You are trying to bluff me. It won’t work. I’ve been around the block a couple of times. I think I know a bluff when I see one.”

Rook was starting to get the idea that this Detective didn’t know all the details, and was using him to try and figure it out. Rook was going to use this to his advantage, and leaned forward. “I think that you play a lot of poker, am I right?” the Detective did not say anything, “Well, in a game of poker, everypony has their own hoof of cards, and they lie, bluff, misdirect attention so they can win the chips, money, whatever. Now, in a game of chess, there are no lies, no tricks, no concealments. Everything is out in the open, and it is up to the players to understand what’s going on and what their opponent is thinking. Right now, you think I am a ringleader of a group of vigilantes from my history and who I’ve been with. After all, it’s obvious. However, just from you being here, I know that you are extremely stressed. You haven’t slept in days. The police chief has been pressuring you to find this Stallion who is killing everypony. Despite the fact that the Ponyville’s Police department doesn’t have the resources to find a mad serial killer, you’ve been refusing outside help. After all, you don’t want to look bad as the new head detective, now do you? You aren’t married, and are having an office romance with a co-worker. You’ve been trying to stop drinking, but the stress of this case have made you pick up the bottle lately. You are a middle foal, with a older brother and a younger sister, were born in the winter months, have a dog, and you’re a good bowler... Anything else I missed?”

The Detective looked shocked. “What the... How the buck...” He took a quick look at the mirror in the room, and quickly looked away.

“Don’t worry, you don’t look like an idiot in front of her. Well, maybe a little, but I look like a complete freak. So, it evens out... Bye the way, you better remember to give her that spearmint gum you promised her. ”

“How did-?”

“It’s sticking out of your jacket. And I know you don’t chew it. I recommend you try it sometime, it’ll clean up your teeth a bit.”

“How did you... all the other...?”

“I didn’t do anything. You just presented yourself in a way they I could decipher you. This is basically a chess game. Almost nothing is hidden. Now, right now, a mad pony is on the loose, and the bodies are piling up. When you found me lying off the road, you knew that I was connected to this pony somehow, not to mention his one victim that got away. You are stumped by this case, and you in a sense, want to know what I have found out. If I was arrested for a viliante offence under normal circumstances, then I would be in jail to not mess with the police findings.”

The Detective was silent. There wasn’t much he could say to discredit that statement. “Fine, what do you know?”

Rook sighed. He was just wasting everypony’s time, not getting anywhere. He had no goal, besides extend his life, since he would probably be executed once his use was over... but there was no point. Thanks to Splinter, Starbolt and Meteor were safe. Essentually, Rook’s concious was clear. He might as well tell the Police what he knows. He was going to die anyway “Ok. here’s what I know.”

“I’m listening”

Rook cleared his throat. He had a lot to cover...

Part 8

Meteor lied on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Starbolt was pacing back and forth in a worried fashion. After Skye got them “off road” for a while, they found themselves surrounded by armed ponies and forced to stop. Starbolt and Meteor were immediately blindfolded and taken away. They found themselves locked in what appeared to be a rather nice (small) hotel room.

“Ugh, would you stop pacing already? It’s driving me insane!” Meteor said, breaking the hour long silence they shared.

“I’m sorry, I’m just worried...” Starbolt said in a hushed voice.

“Why? We weren’t killed on the spot. That has to be a good sign.”

“Oh yes, FINALLY somepony who isn’t out to kill us.” Starbolt said.

“Who in their right mind steals a Truck, brings two civilians with them, and risks exposing our location to the authorities!?”

Splinter and Skye were in the the Legion’s underground headquarters. They were escorted by (very) armed guards to the Director, a Maluma pony who was commanded the Legion. He wasn’t all that happy to see them.

“In my defense, it was all her idea,” Splinter said, pointing at Skye.

Skye tried with all her power to not rip off Splinter’s head. “Shut up, you little-”

“QUIET!” Yelled the Director, his bat-like wings flared out. “First off, why would you bring HIM back!? Hasn’t he caused enough trouble for us as is?” Skye really had nothing to say. She just stood there, trying to come up with a good excuse. “Let me guess, missed your sweetheart bit too much?” the Director leered at Skye, “I can’t believe it. You were one of my best, Miss Skye. How did you get mixed up with him?”

“Hey, I called HER” Splinter stepped in between Skye and the Director. “I really needed help, and she was just being a good friend.”

“What was it this time, Splinter?” asked the Director, “Messed with the wrong ponies again?”

“Sir, there is an actual situation going on.” Skye said.

“What do you mean?”

Skye pushed Splinter and the Directory aside and came to a computer console. She typed in something and pulled up a holographic map of the area.

“See those brown pockets?” She asked.

The Director nodded. “Yeah, so?”

“Those are the Doodles” Splinter said.

“....wut?”

“They’re clones of a serial killer named Pencil Doodle. We don’t exactly know where they came from, but only that they're quickly becoming more beast-like.”

The Director narrowed his eyes. “What do you mean?”

“Let’s just say that they kill with their teeth now.”

The Director looked behind him to see if anypony was listening. He outstretched his bat-like wings in a way that nopony could see what he was saying. “What do you expect me to do about it?”

“Starbolt, do you think Rook is ok?” Meteor said, trying to break the uneasy silence.

“The police got to him. I doubt we’ll see him again.” Starbolt said, trying to not think about it.

“You technically didn’t answer my question. Do you think he is alright?”

“... I don’t know. Rook’s really smart. I think he can handle it.” Starbolt wasn’t really thinking staight. Everything had happened so fast. First Sly and his friend were gone, now Rook was probably gone, too.

“Um, Star?”

“Yes?”

“How much did you really like Rook? I need to know”

“... and now I’m here” Rook finished.

The Detective sat back in his chair and pulled out a cigarette. “That’s some crazy shit.”

While Rook had left Meteor out of the story for her own safety, he told the Detective a large chunck of what happened. “Something like that,” Rook said as the the Detective tried to light the cigarette. A knock came at the door. “You should get that,” Rook said

The Detective glanced at Rook. He then went to the door which he opened just a crack. Rook heard some whispers on the other side, which the Detective was replying to.

“... What?.... This is our jurisdiction.... it’s MY case, he can’t just.... when?... you mean he’s in the station?”

“Yes, I am.” The door opened more and a white unicorn in business attire and sunglasses walked in. He turned his head a the Detective, “I’m sorry Bill, this is our case now.” He spoke with almost no inflection with an authoritative manner.

“By ‘ours’, you mean...”

“My Department. Now get out of my interrogation room.”

The Detective looked angry enough to spit in this stallion’s face. On the other side of the door, Rook heard a female voice say, “Bill, listen to him. He’s....” The pony in sunglasses looked at the door, as if is mentally silencing the mare. The Detective glared at him, and finally gave in. He started to walk out the door when he said, “You know he already told me everything.”

“Do I look like I care?” The Unicorn said with an expressionless face. With that, the Detective paused, swallowed his pride, and shut the door behind him.

The Unicorn walked towards the table yet did not sit down. He seemed to be scanning over Rook, looking into his soul.

After a quiet moment, Rook broke the ice, “Shades indoors, huh? Sensitive eyes?”

The Unicorn did not respond. Instead he sat down and looked through the file on the table.

“I don't think you’re wearing that to be intimidating, that’s just a by-product.”

The Unicorn didn’t look up, but he finally spoke. “Oh really?” He still seemed to be looking at the file.

Rook leaned in, “Your mother was a Maluma.”

“What?” The Unicorn looked up in surprise and put the file down.

“I’m not saying that as insult. The trait Malumai ponies have that makes their eyes more sensitive to light can be inherited from the mother’s side. Sorry, I just found that interesting about you.”

“.... I’ve heard a lot of rumors about you. I didn’t think they were true.”

“And who do I have the pleasure of being interrogated by?” Rook said

“That’s none of your concern.”

“I believe it is, Mr Gelton.” Rook smirked.

“.... how did you -”

“Seriously? Your watch is engraved on the side. Of course I caught that.”

“.... Agent Gelton, Royal Equestrian Investigation Bureau.”

“Ok, now why are you here?”

“That’s none of-”

“I already know. You might as well say it as if you knew what you were doing.”

Gelton tried to remain unfazed, but Rook could see he was getting on his nerves. “I’m here about a mare named Meteor. I believe you know her location.”

“I believe I don’t. That’s the truth. Why are you guys so intent on finding her?”

“It’s believed that she is somepony who is -”

“Don’t tell me some sort of distorted answer. Why do you REALLY looking for her?” Gelton did not answer the question, so Rook continued, “You’re going to kill the poor mare, aren’t you? She’s nearly killed by a mad monster who ripped her apart, and you want to kill her? She is so innocent, and you want to end her life.....”

“We’re doing what’s necessary to keep the peace and everypony calm.”

“Well, you’re going to get a slap in the face when the Doodles come to around.”

“That’s a problem that we can tackle later, but the public can’t be informed about them.”

“So you go and and attempt to execute an innocent pony?”

Gelton paused, “Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Everypony lives in happiness, going about their lives in no fear. The only way to do that is to make sure the ponies don’t know that there is crime.”

“There are other ways to do that. Other ways that are actually sane.”

“Unfortunately, that’s not my decision to make.”

“Then whose is it?”

“.... I don’t know”

“So now what?”

“Depends on what you know. Where is -” All of a sudden, an alarm went off. Gelton got up and opened the door, “What’s going on?” he yelled at the ponies on the other side.

Right then and there, Rook had unlocked the lock that kept his hoof on the chair. He got out of it and charged at the door. He used his magic to throw Gelton out of the way and ran down the hallway.

“GET HIM!” Gelton yelled at the scrambling officers. Rook just kept running. Rook shot the strongest magical blast he could at the door’s lock, which melted. He kicked down the door.

The other side of the door was a full on firefight. Doodles had gotten into the station and the officers were valiantly fighting them off. One Doodle spotted Rook and lunged at him, it’s eyes almost glazed over. Rook dodged the attack, and countered with a kick.

Where is the door?

He looked back and saw Gelton. His glasses were cracked, and actual rage appeared in his face. Gelton levitated his gun and fired several shots at Rook. One of them hit their Target.

Rook felt himself falling into black again. This time, he might not wake up

Edited by AnonyPoni
  • Brohoof 3

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Part 9

Starbolt’s voice quivered, “Why do you ask?”

“I was just... you know... curious...” Meteor avoided Starbolt’s gaze. The subject of Rook brought up yet another uneasy silence between the two of them. After about five minutes, Meteor spoke again, “Alright, we need to get this over with. We both like Rook, it seems.”

Starbolt stopped pacing and stood next to her bed. She rested her head on it. “It would seem that way....not that it matters anymore.”

“Well, I think I should point out that if he survived....”

“Meteor...”

“I won’t stay between you two.... I shouldn’t. I’m... too messed up, anyways.”

“Don’t say-”

“Ugh, don’t give me that crap that I’ll find some stallion that’s right for me or whatever.” Meteor looked her wing nubs and bandaged flank. “I’m not even a whole pony anymore... And I’ve recognized that. I understand that. I’m not going to live in some fantasy world where I pretend that I’m alright, because I’m not.  Thanks that monster, I’ll always be on the run. I don’t have a life ahead of me.... but you can.”

“That’s-”

“Oh, don’t try and comfort me.” Meteor said pouting. She looked away with a frown, “I guess that’s life.”

Starbolt sat on the bed and gave Meteor a hug. “I just wanted to say.... It takes more strength the accept something rather than avoid it... I can’t help but to admire you.”

Meteor hugged back, “Yeah, well, glad to see I’ll have somepony to hug in the future.” Meteor paused and looked at the hard metal door, “If we have one...”

“What do you mean? I’m sure Splinter and Skye will explain the whole situation.”

“I don’t know. I just figured that they would be here by now.... What if they didn’t convince these guys? What do you think they’ll do to us?”

Starbolt shrugged.

“Seriously?” Meteor furrowed her brow, “This is not the time for apathy. I say we break out.”

“I say we just go in, guns blazing. Kill as many Doodles as we can.” Splinter suggested. He was at a meeting table with the Director, Skye, and several other officers from the Legion, discussing their plan to deal with the Doodles.

“Oh, sure. Like that’s not going to go badly...” Skye mumbled.

“Now, now, Monsieur Splinter has un poin’” said one of the officers, “I sey non rea’son fwa us no’ to take it...”

“Just jump in and shoot a bunch of monsters? I’m down with that.” Said another one of the officers.

Skye put her face in her hoofs. Some stallions.... “Look, as much as I know you guys like your guns and blowing stuff up, there’s no way we’ll be able to pull off a mass extermination like this. At least some of them are going to get away and cause trouble.” She leaned back in her chair while stretching her back and wings, “There's a better wa-”

The Director stopped her short, “Skye, do you know why we’re here? We’re here to protect the ponies of Equestria from harm that the government won’t protect them from. As far as I can see, they haven’t done anything for the ‘Doodle’ situation except cover it up. Our investors are counting on us to protect everypony, and that’s what we intend on doing.”

“Wait wait..... what!?” Splinter had a shocked look in his face, staring at Skye and the Director, “What do you mean investors?”

Everypony at the table went quiet. The officers stared at each other, hoping one of the others would say something. The Director rubbed his forehead, as if the subject was giving him a migraine.

Rook wasn't sure if he was conscious, unconscious, or just plain dead. He was pretty sure he wasn't asleep, but found it impossible to open his eyes. All he could see was a grim black, like he was buried in a tomb.

He was also becoming aware of his painful breaths. The wound where he was shot still throbbed in pain, but was becoming slightly numb to him. His hooves seemed to be bounded at his sides, one of them acting as a pseudo-bandage for the gunshot wound.

The next hour or so, Rook faded in and out of 'consciousness,' possibly due to the blood he lost making him a bit lightheaded. Or maybe he was just at the precipice of death, unsure whether or not to fall.

After he pulled himself out of another blackout, Rook managed to gather most of his mind together to see what he could figure out. Though he lacked in sight, Rook could feel that the cold night air had left dew on his face. There crickets and cicadas buzzed and chirped loudly, accompanied by the hoots of an owl here and there....

Rook wondered why he hadn't used his magic yet to escape whatever bounded him. It was entirely possible that he was too dazed think clearly. Ok... what am I waiting for? he thought. It was a shame that he couldn't an echolocation spell of some sort to give him an idea of what he'd be up against if he escaped.

But there wasn't time to think about that. Rook started to use his magic to fiddle with what he thought might be the knot.

Suddenly, he heard a sound from some bushes, then hooves walking over leaves. He quickly ceased his magic and remained dead still. Rook felt a rush of adrenaline and stress, and tried to hold his breath to remain as quiet as possible, focusing hard to not black out.

Skye spoke up, “It happened a bit after you were gone. The Legion was disbanded by the Royal Equestrian Military. They found out about our operations.... outside national security....”

“Basically, the vigilante work we did against police departments and government agencies.” The Director said.

“Yeah, but we were found out.” Skye said, “They didn’t so much get rid of the Legion, so much as cut our funding. We were seriously crippled and wouldn’t be able to do much of anything anymore.... until we started to get money.... a lot of it.”

“From where?” Splinter asked.

“You tell me.” The Director mumbled, loud enough to be heard, “Private companies, Foreign Governments, Soccer Moms... we’re not sure....”i

“All we know about them is that they want to keep the citizens of Equestria safe but letting us do our ‘job.’” Skye sighed.

“Regardless, Miss Skye, what do you do you suggest we do, eh?” One of the officers asked.

The hoof steps walked past him and trailed off in the distance. After he was sure he couldn't hear them anymore, Rook's side cringed and mind had a sharp pain as he took in a deep breath.

However, a new sound emerged. To his right, Rook was sure he could hear somepony breathing heavily, as if they were panicking.

Rook took his chances, “Hello?” he whispered, though he immediately regretted it as his side hurt immensely.

The breathing stopped.

“Who are you?” Rook whispered.

A couple of moments passed with no sound, then the heavy breathing started again.

“....depends.... who are you?” said a hushed voice.

“I... ach....” Rook’s wound throbbed, and the lightheaded feeling started to come back. “...I asked first...”

“... Agent Gelton, Royal Equestrian -”

“Oh great... not you...” Rook would have facehooved if he could.

“And you are?”

“Rook, the pony you shot.” Rook whispered back in a angry hush.

“You gonna help me?”

“I’d ask you the same thing, but I prefer to not get shot again.” Rook sarcastically whispered. Besides, he assumed they were both in the same situation, unable to help each other anyway. “You’re a unicorn, why haven’t you escaped?”

“You haven’t either.” Gelton shot back. There was a quick moment of silence. “I tried sometime ago, but they seemed to be alerted by it or something.”

“The doodles?”

“That’s what you called those things?” Gelton stopped for a second, “Anyway, I guess you tried to escape a few minutes ago?”

“Maybe.”

“That’s what brought those guys here. I swear, I thought they had come for me.”

“Well, are we the only ones here?” Rook asked.

“I don’t know. I originally thought I was the only one here.” Gelton paused for a moment, “Look we got off on the wrong hoof...”

“You bucking shot me.” Rook hissed back.

“And I’m sorry for tha-”

“You shot me!”

“I’m sorry. Look, we can help each other out.”

“And why should I help you?” Rook didn’t think either of them were in any position to bargain. Another light headed surge hit him.

Gelton paused for a moment. “I’ll get you off the hook for this case. Consider this all a big mistake.”

“I’m considering that right now...”

“Shut up. I don’t have time for your jackass comments.”

“I don’t have time for empty promises.”

“Fine what do you want?”

“Get my friends off it as well, including the one you were going to kill. Make it as if none of us were ever associated with this.”

“There’s no way.... fine.”

“Good to know”

“Alright, on the count of three, we’ll use our magic to break the ropes. We’ll protect each other if the doodles come.”

“You still have that gun?”

“Yeah.” They both paused for a second to hear if anypony was coming. “Alright, on three. One... two......”

Rook was ready to break the ropes, but Gelton didn’t say three.”

Hoof steps could be heard.

"Alright, I hear hoof steps down the hallway...." Meteor said, with her ear pressed on the door.

"Meteor, you sure that's a -"

"Shhhh! They stopped!" Meteor backed away from the door. "Look, we gotta do something. Star, do you know any stun spells?"

"Not really -"

They could hear a key turning in the door knob. “You gotta know something!”

The door swung open, and a bright flash of light flooded the room. Meteor shielded her eyes.

“Alright... so Skye’s idea seems....”

“Confusing.” Splinter said blatantly.

“It’s not that complicated” Skye rolled her eyes. “Perhaps it would have helped had you listened...”

“Are you saying I’m dumb or something?” Splinter raised his voice slightly

“Skye has a point.” The Director said, half answering Splinter’s question, “I’d appreciate it if you could go over it again.”

Skye sighed. “Alright. From what I’ve seen of the doodles, it seems they aren’t really organized like a milita. They seem to just act in an organic way. They act without a leader.”

“Yeah yeah we got that part,” Said one of the officers, “But what of it?”

“Well, if we went after them like some mafia gang, I think we’d have a lot of trouble. There’s no ‘lynchpin’ that’ll topple them over.”

“So what do we do?” Asked Spinter.

“Simply put, we take a page from their book and go in without much planning. We make small groups that take care of doodles in their areas. That way, we can get rid of as many as possible without making a huge mess.”

“That sounds exactly like my plan!” Spinter whined, “Go in and shoot ‘em up!”

“Yeah, well, my plan actually has backing to it.”

“Yeah, well, your back is pretty darn se-”

“Shut up you two! Sweet Celestia, just get married and spare us the arguing!” The Director boomed. “Splinter, while I’m not happy to see you again, I’m putting you in the recon team to help us get a low-down of the situation.”

“Yes sir! It’s good to be,-”

“Don’t make me regret this, got it? There’s a lot at stake here.” The Director said, “Skye, assemble and brief the teams, then go with Splinter on recon.”

“Yes sir. What about the two ponies we brought here?”

“I sent a few escorts to take them back to Ponyville...”

Splinter nearly exploded, “ARE YOU CRAZY!?” he paused for a second, and added, “....sir....”

Skye cut in, “With all due respect, sir, those ponies were safe here! They’re wanted by the authorities and probably won’t last long with the Police and Doodles after them.”

Rook tried to hold his breath, trying to keep his profile to the minimum. Next to him, Gelton was breaking in a panicked rate.

“....no no no no no no....” Rook could hear him say between breaths. He began to say it louder as the hoof steps approached. The hoof steps suddenly stopped, at which point Gelton was begging for mercy at the top of his lungs.

There was a loud bony snap, accompanied by a blood curdling yell. The Doodles broke off his horn.

I got to make a break for it Rook thought to himself, but noticed that he couldn’t undo the ropes as easily as he thought. If he started now, the Doodles would notice and kill him on the spot.

Ideas raced through Rook’s mind. He had to think of something before those Doodles would finish tearing out Gelton’s organs, and come for him....

When Meteor uncovered her eyes, she saw the two armed ponies who opened the door were dazed from the bright flash. They covered their eyes and tried to feel their way around, to which Meteor pulled a lamp off a desk and knocked them out.

“Was that you?” Meteora asked Starbolt, who was hiding behind the bed.

“Uh... yeah. I just did the first thing that came to mind.”

“Well, good job. Now c’mon, let’s go find Splinter.”

As the two of them slipped out of the room, a guard immediately spotted them. “Hey, you two”

“Crap! Run!” Meteor yelled. She and Starbolt bolted down the hall and rounded the corner. The alarm went off

“Oh come on!” Splinter yelled when the alarm started to blare. “We got bigger things to worry about!”

“What’s going on?” Skye yelled at a pony that had just walked into the room.

“Ma’am, you know those two mares you brought with you? They broke out....” The pony replied meekly.

“What!? They’re going to get shot! Call off the guards!” The Director ordered.

“Ok.... but It’ll take some time for me to...” The pony said.

Splinter and Skye pushed him out of the way and rushed out of the room to go find Starbolt and Meteor before the guards do.

“Great, now we’re lost. They’re going to kill us...” Starbolt panicked slightly, hyperventilating.

“Calm down. We’ll be fine. We just gotta find Splinter....”

“And if we don’t? They’ll find us... We escaped a serial killer, clones of a serial killer, and a horde of clones of a serial killer.... just to be killed by ponies that are supposed to help us.”

“You don’t know that, maybe those guards were just going to ask us on a double date or something.” Meteor said, looking down another hallway.

“Oh, really? You didn’t seem to think that when you beat them over with a lamp!”

“Ok, maybe in hindsight we should have let them explain themselves, but it made sense at the time...”

“STOP WHERE YOU ARE!” Yelled a gruff voice behind them. They turned around and saw several unicorn guards levitating guns at them.

“See, now we’re dead...” Starbolt closed her eyes.

Meteor took her chances and tried to talk, “Um... Hi guys! Sorry about the whole escaping thing... We were just a bit paranoid at the time. So, why don’t you guys just take us to our friend Splinter and we’ll call it a day?”

“Taze them” One of the guards ordered. Two of the guards levitated small, yellow plastic guns in front of them.

What’re those?” Meteor asked with a tremble in her voice.

“Obviously something really, really bad...” Starbolt said. The two of them froze and prepared themselves to be shot.....

“STAND DOWN! STAND DOWN!” Said a female voice. The guards put down their guns, and Splinter and Skye came out from between them. Meteor and Starbolt let out a sigh of relief.

“Boy, are we glad to see you guys-”

“What the hay were you two thinking!?” Skye yelled, “Trying to escape? These guards were there to PROTECT you!”

“Well, sorry!” Meteor spat back. “Maybe you should have told us that!”

“I’m pretty sure it was implied! I swear, I’m gonna -”

“Whoa whoa,” Splinter stepped between them, “Save it for the Doodles, ladies.” he looked at Meteor and Starbolt, “Skye and I are going to going on a mission to get rid of the Doodles and rescue anypony that might be caught by them. We need you two to stay here where it’s safe.”

“Survivors? Like Rook?” Starbolt asked.

Everypony became quiet for a moment. Skye answered her. “Maybe. If he’s still alive, then we’ll find him.”

“IF he’s still alive. He chances aren’t all that great...” Splinter whispered.

“Well, we want to come with.” Meteor said.

“.... what?”

“I said we want to come with you” Meteor looked at Starbolt, who nodded in agreement.

“We brought you here to be safe! You can’t come-”

“I have medical spells.” Starbolt interrupted, “I can help with survivors you might find...”

Skye was about to object again, but Splinter whispered to her. “We don’t have many medics....”

Skye thought for a second and sighed. She looked at one of the guards. “Jenkins, get these two ready for the mission. We leave in an hour.”

The ten minutes it took for the Doodles to..... disassemble Gelton were tortuous for Rook. He tried his best to remain completely limp and not breath. In that state for panic, Rook seemed to make himself believe that the Doodles would mistake him for a log or would only see movement.

He could try and escape, but any action he would do would surely alert the Doodles. There was no way he could fight them off, all the while woozy from his gunshot wound....

Trying to break out would be stupid. Staying would be stupid. Rook was damned anyway.

A regular Catch 22

The noises of tearing of flesh and of organs ripped out began to cease. The air was filled with the smell of blood and body fluids. The Doodles had finished with Gelton and were ready to move on to Rook....

So this is how it ends....  Rook thought to himself. What was the use in avoiding it? Might as well just accept this was how it’ll all end for him. Instead of going down in a pathetic fight, he’d accept what will happen. With whatever dignity he had left.

With the sound of maniacal breathing and the hoofsteps on the forest floor, the Doodles approached. One of the Doodles pressed a knife to Rook’s body cavity. The other put its hoof on his horn, putting all it’s weight on it and causing Rook unbelievable pain.

A sound of loud bang filled the forest. The pressure on Rook’s horn was released. Rook thought his horn was broken until a second bang took off the sharp pressure of the knife on his chest. A body fell on him and warm blood poured onto his face.

Taking the chance, Rook used his magic and snapped the ropes bounding his body and eyes pushed what he assumed was a dead Doodle off of him. Even with his eyes, the night was dark enough for him to think that he was blind.

Rook took off and ran away from the scene, not sure where he was going. The adrenaline rushed through his body. He could feel his wound’s sharp pains going to his head.

There was too much stress, too much panic, not enough blood. Rook fell to the ground panting incredibly hard, his mind barely able to register what was going on.

Silhouetted with the crescent moon, a pony walked up to him. It’s Unicorn magic held up a gun which Rook could almost smell the smoke.

As Rook passed out again, he could almost make out a face in the light if the magic surrounding the pony’s horn....

Edited by AnonyPoni
  • Brohoof 1