Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Still use a VCR?

DubWolf

I certainly don’t :wacko: . I used to. I’d watch a lot of Thomas the Tank engines and Kidsongs cassettes with it. At least those I remember best.

Wonder what happened to them :huh: .

• Brohoof 1

I still have it and it's still works. I have a lot of the old Disney movies and one of my pride procession is Pinocchio. Because it's the unfiltered version. I can't believe when watching it again as an adult, they use the word "jackass" in the movie. Hah, It's never gets old. 

• Brohoof 1

I still have one; and there's another in the main living room. We haven't really used them, but considering that many old family movies we have, and that SOME old VHS tapes do not have DVD versions...best to keep them around. XD

28 minutes ago, TBD said:

I still have it and it's still works. I have a lot of the old Disney movies and one of my pride procession is Pinocchio. Because it's the unfiltered version. I can't believe when watching it again as an adult, they use the word "jackass" in the movie. Hah, It's never gets old. 

They still use that word in the DVD and Blu-ray version.

honestly we need to find a way to get our VHS tape footage onto DVD's like our wedding video or that choir I had back in elementary school

I still have a VCR, but I haven't used it in at least eleven to twelve years. I should really test it out and see if it still works after all this time.

I got a VCR still. My IRL friend got a more expensive VCR in his collection. We are collectors of things from our childhood (the more you know!)

• Brohoof 1

I still have my old VCR from my early teens that I got as a gift. It still works and I still have a load of VHS tapes for it. There's also a combined VCR/DVD player in my living room. Apparently you're supposed to be able to record old VHS to DVDs with it. I've never actually tried that.

• Brohoof 1

The hell's a VCR? Is it some kind of steroidal injection? :wacko:

:P

Obviously I grew up watching countless VHS movies, my mom had a huge collection of classics. These days though, not so much. I see no reason to bust out the old VCR buddy, I let him rest.

12 hours ago, Will Guide said:

hey still use that word in the DVD and Blu-ray version.

Well I’ll be damned. I’d think Disney would filter that word out since these days now aren’t that lenient and giving the fact they did filtered out the black centaur. Well, try to. And some other things. And Disney like to keep a ‘clean’ images of themselves.

I still have and use a VCR, since I have many cassettes I wouldn’t be able to watch otherwise. But I should replace it with a better one someday, since the DVD slot doesn’t work anymore. :LunaMCM:

• Brohoof 1

35 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I still have and use a VCR, since I have many cassettes I wouldn’t be able to watch otherwise. But I should replace it with a better one someday, since the DVD slot doesn’t work anymore. :LunaMCM:

Probably should transcode them into video files then? composite usb sampler is like $15 or so on amazon?

5 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Probably should transcode them into video files then?

Do you know how annoying it is to record from video tape to a PC? I sometimes do it for other people. Even if the USB device came with software that would automatically encode the file properly (interlaced, 4:3, 720x576) it would be annoying. I'd just buy another VCR, they are not expensive.

1 hour ago, TBD said:

Well I’ll be damned. I’d think Disney would filter that word out since these days now aren’t that lenient and giving the fact they did filtered out the black centaur. Well, try to. And some other things. And Disney like to keep a ‘clean’ images of themselves.

Well, duh. The main Disney Company wants to keep a family friendly image which is why more adult films made by the company were released under Hollywood Pictures or Touchstone Pictures back in the day

19 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Well, duh. The main Disney Company wants to keep a family friendly image which is why more adult films made by the company were released under Hollywood Pictures or Touchstone Pictures back in the day

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm saying since it's a kid movie and while they are re-releasing it on blu-ray/DVD I'd think they would go over it and filter out the bad word regardless. Because what kind of rated G or PG Disney/Pixer movies would use the word "jackass" these days? I was just surprise when you told me they haven't. But good to know. 

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

Do you know how annoying it is to record from video tape to a PC? I sometimes do it for other people. Even if the USB device came with software that would automatically encode the file properly (interlaced, 4:3, 720x576) it would be annoying. I'd just buy another VCR, they are not expensive.

I used to record VHS tapes into DVDs with a DVD recorder. It worked, but at the time the DVD recorder was such a cheap device it started acting up after a month of use, so I had to give up, and hate new (cheaply made, but expensive at the time) technology in the process.

The nature of interlaced video from standard TV or VHS, decoded to DVD mpeg format, and of course still being interlaced, is horrible! And to try to deal with anything interlaced is just a long horrible process. That's why I try to not use DVD or VHS for video any longer. Having a VCR is more about remembering how one's living room looked like back in the day, rather than having any practical use.

An example of VHS converted to DVD officially (in a bad way), was discovered when I bought some Swedish dubbed My Little pony Tales individual episodes as DVD boxes, and they all had a custom added black bar in the bottom to hide that wobble/interference that you always get on VHS tapes.

19 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

The nature of interlaced video from standard TV or VHS, decoded to DVD mpeg format, and of course still being interlaced, is horrible!

Deinterlacing (especially if I want 50fps result from a video source, so yadif2x or similar) takes a lot of CPU power. Combine that with encoding ant my TV-PC may not be able to do it, so I just keep the files as interlaced. If I record the result to DVD then the player can deal with it, if I keep it as a file, I can just enable deinterlacing when playing. After all, stuff I record from TV is interlaced as well (1080i).

25 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

Having a VCR is more about remembering how one's living room looked like back in the day, rather than having any practical use.

If I just want to play something, playing a tape is a bit more convenient for me compared to booting the TV-PC.