Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

At Least It's Not COVID-19 - A New Perspective

Justin_Case001

I'm an eternal pessimist, but for my sanity's sake, I've been trying hard to see some kind of silver lining at the end of the coronavirus tunnel.  One possible benefit I'm hoping for is a healthier perspective about what really matters.  Specifically, I'm hoping that people will stop flying off the handle and getting offended about stupid sh*t.  I'm hoping that COVID might quell the SJW outrage culture.

I'm hoping that living through this will show people that a mildly racist joke isn't the worst thing in the world, and that accidentally being called the wrong gender pronoun isn't in fact the worst thing that can ever happen to you.  I'm hoping that this will start a meme: the "at least it's not COVID-19" meme.  Anytime something stupid and ultimately immaterial happens that previously would have sent everyone into a bloodthirsty rage, they'll just say, "at least it's not COVID-19", and move on with their lives.

Someone makes a mildly racist tweet?  At least it's not COVID-19.

Someone finds a 40 year old video clip of some politician saying something mildly homophobic?  At least it's not COVID-19.

Someone drudges up a 30 year old photograph of an actor at a party, and there's a poster on the wall behind them that could be interpreted as racially insensitive?  At least it's not COVID-19.

I really hope this catches on.  Is there any good you're hoping might come of this?  Other lessons we can learn?

• Brohoof 3

This did not go where I was expecting it to go, but I agree. People shouldn't get offended so easily.

I hope we learn to spend more meaningful time with our loved ones, to appreciate going outside and doing the most menial of things. My grandmother misses seeing her family, my brother misses working and even I miss university. We are learning to value these things more and I find that important.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Blivy said:

I agree with this! This "cancel culture" bullshit ruins everything from movies to video games!

Please explain what you mean. That sounds vague.

I really stopped giving about this "Cancel culture" bullshit from both ends of the spectrum. Covid didn't really do anything to affect that

I'm such a "stay at home" person that the quarantine hasn't really changed my outlook in life. I will say it's gotten me to appreciate my parents being around more

On 4/9/2020 at 10:45 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

Is there any good you're hoping might come of this?

Using the COVID-19 situation as a mean to stop people from bitching about other things, well, it might work.

But social media and Internet is built upon bitching and trolling about every little odd detail of everything. I think the COVID-19 situation might be more helpful IRL, where people are still bitching, only they actually get COVID-19 is they do (kinda, hopefully).