Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash is not a lesbian

luvvva.bxbymiyah

Or maybe she is. Honestly, they’ve never addressed it in the show (and probably never will), and you can’t tell what someone’s sexuality is based on their personality or physical appearance. However, many people have ranted about that in the past and will continue to until all stereotypes go away forever, so I’m here to discuss a different aspect of this issue.

Since this is the Internet, there are bronies making rash assumptions based on our favorite ponies’ superficial features. One of the more popular ones is that Rainbow Dash is a lesbian. Whether or not she is is irrelevant. What I want to know is why all the bigots picked her to be the automatic lesbian of the group when there is somepony else who fits the stereotypes so much better.

Let’s look at Rainbow Dash first. Yes, she is tough. Yes, she is athletic. She is not, however, the be-all-end-all butch character. The next sentence may shock you, so those with weak constitutions please stick around anyway. Rainbow Dash has never…I repeat, never…expressed any sort of dislike in anything girly. While this could be because there isn’t much girly stuff on the show (and thank Celestia for that), there is one major item that has come up repeatedly: dresses. And no, she has never voiced any distaste in wearing a dress.

“Yes, she has!” you say because you’re rude and like to interrupt people. “She didn’t like the dress Rarity made for her in ‘Suited for Success’ or 'A Canterlot Wedding - Part 1’!”

True, but that wasn’t because either one of those were too “girly”. She didn’t like her Gala dress because it wasn’t cool enough, and she didn’t like her bridesmaid dress because it wasn’t very aerodynamic. She has never, though, complained about the actual act of wearing a dress.

She even does girly things on occasion. She squeals with delight when Spitfire invites her into the V.I.P. lounge at the Grand Galloping Gala, she ohmygoshes uncontrollably when she meets the Wonderbolts at the Best Young Flyer competition, and she does the cutest little leg-wiggle at the end of “Read It and Weep” over the Daring-Do books.

There is somepony else, though. Somepony who has complained about wearing a dress. Somepony who hasn’t done a single girly thing in the entire show’s run.

Applejack.

No, seriously, it’s Applejack. Check out this transcript from “Suited for Success” when Rarity offers to make Twilight Sparkle and Applejack dresses for the upcoming Grand Galloping Gala:

Rarity: Let me guess, Applejack. You don’t want a new gown either.

Applejack: Gown? Shoot. I was just gonna wear my old work duds.

Rarity: You can’t possibly be serious, Applejack! You absolutely must wear formal attire.

Applejack: Hm… Nah.

Rarity: What if I just spruce up your… duds for you a little bit?

Applejack: Okay, sure. Why not? Since you’re up for it and all. Just don’t make them too… froufrou-y.

Rarity: Deal!

She would rather wear a work outfit than a dress, doesn’t care that she should wear a gown to a formal setting, and speaks her disgust of something “froufrou-y” in only three lines.

Applejack is very butch. She works constantly, loves getting down-and-dirty (remember the “garden party” bit from “Sweet and Elite”?), and competes in athletic competitions (e.g. the rodeo from “The Last Roundup”). She also hates dresses (for another example, see the truth-or-dare segment of the sleepover in “Look Before You Sleep”).

Why did everyone pick Rainbow Dash to be the lesbian over Applejack? I don’t know. Maybe it’s because Rainbow Dash’s voice cracks all the time. Maybe it’s because Applejack is the typical Southern country girl, and the typical Southern country girl is straight. Maybe it’s because rainbows = gay. I’m not sure because I apparently missed the meeting where everyone decided who the lesbians were.

Look, I’m not saying Applejack is lesbian (though she could be). I’m not saying Rainbow Dash is straight (though she could be). I’m just saying that your stereotypes picked the wrong pony to be the token lesbian in the group. It is  A "KIDS SHOW" AFTER ALL.

the tomboyish personality and rainbow mane doesn't make her lesbian lets just say Rainbow's asexual.

• Brohoof 6

See that's the thing. She might be a bit of a tomboy, but i never really thought of Rainbow Dash as a lesbian until I came to this forum and saw all the posts on it. Even the season 9 finale was left ambiguous for a reason.

Applejack on the other hand, I've always had a feeling that she was either a lesbian or a bi. My favourite ship of all time is Rarajack ^_^.

Then again, its a kid show, so my common sense makes me assume that they are all straight in reality. 

• Brohoof 1

No one is pushing it.. but that’s why we have headcanons. I don’t care if RD is straight or not, nor do I care who ship her with who. It’s called preference. I’m not sure if stereotyping RD got to do with people preferring her liking a mare over a colt. Maybe? But I think it more on who does she look good with depending on who RD built a better relationship with. That’s how headcanon ship happens.

• Brohoof 2

It was left open at the end of the show, so we can't really say anything is canon. Appledash is by far my least favorite ship put out by the community for a multitude of reasons, but it's just that. A community ship. The only mane 6 ship that was explicitly shown was Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich, so everything else is open for people's headcanons.

• Brohoof 4

Personally, I never consider any character gay/straight/etc. unless I see that character has taken a physical attraction/romantic attraction to another character and depending on how that character that character identifies. Of course, it's not like I'm oblivious to certain "hints" at a character's sexuality throughout a show, for example, Lyra and BonBon or Jojo characters, Captain Klenzendorf in Jojo Rabbit, etc. 

When it comes to any of the pony characters besides Twilight (flash) and Rarity I never considered any of the main characters as straight or gay or etc. Just saw them as aromantic. In fact, Rainbow Dash to me was always the one who was 100% aromantic to me. Of course, that doesn't have much to do with sexual orientation, but my point is there is no romantic attraction. As for physical, not sure. 

Of course, the ending of the show 100% was giving the implication that Rainbow Dash and Applejack are romantically involved (not married. I hate when people say they're married. They don't have to be "married." Just together). So they are at least lesbian. No implication that they are bi or etc. A lil upsetting to me, considering that I was shooting for Rainbow Dash being aromantic for most of the time. In fact, I didn't want the ending to throw in a bunch of shipping in general, but apparently that's still the "end all be all" to everypony. So whatevs. 

• Brohoof 2

I feel like this post is complaining about People who are trying to say someone is a lesbian just because they act a certain way and then you explain why that doesnt have to be the case with rainbow dash but then you go on and call Applejack a potential contestant for being lesbian, because she acts a bit uncommon...Isnt that still stereotyping? Okay, i thought you maybe just want to Point out how even this judgemental People are wrong and that was more meant as a critic or something.

But than you go on and call Rainbowdash an asexual anyway, yet again judging her.So instead of complaining about the judgement of stereotypes you simply wanted to show us how it is done right? Ooookay?

Now i finally know how to correctly judge People and their sexualities, thank you. :laugh:

Of course all the hard working females who dont wear Dresses are most likely lesbians, how did i not know? :mlp_icwudt:

( this might Sound like i am Angry or something but im not, im just...a bit surprised by this Topic, lets put it that way )

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 4/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, Lex Destrosio said:

I feel like this post is complaining about People who are trying to say someone is a lesbian just because they act a certain way and then you explain why that doesnt have to be the case with rainbow dash but then you go on and call Applejack a potential contestant for being lesbian, because she acts a bit uncommon...Isnt that still stereotyping? Okay, i thought you maybe just want to Point out how even this judgemental People are wrong and that was more meant as a critic or something.

But than you go on and call Rainbowdash an asexual anyway, yet again judging her.So instead of complaining about the judgement of stereotypes you simply wanted to show us how it is done right? Ooookay?

Now i finally know how to correctly judge People and their sexualities, thank you. :laugh:

Of course all the hard working females who dont wear Dresses are most likely lesbians, how did i not know? :mlp_icwudt:

( this might Sound like i am Angry or something but im not, im just...a bit surprised by this Topic, lets put it that way )

What I meant to say was like people portray RD as a lesbian than any other character. Sorry, I never deemed AJ to be a "lesbian" either. What I've always wondered is why RD is the only one? Is it just our society looking at physical appearance/personality to claim one for a certain sexuality? My point of posting this was just to say stereotyping is wrong, just to clarify. :3 

Edited by princessxrainbowdash
  • Brohoof 4

I don't understand why there is even arguments about this or topics on it it's a show for children not a dating simulator/game, dating site or dating/romance show it is just a show about colorful equines and other species/creatures co existing together this kind of thing doesn't really need to be debated because it really shouldn't matter to a child there not going to wonder who gets with who or who's a lesbian, gay, bi or straight all their going to see is colorful equines and mythical creatures going on adventures and saving the world well equestria why can't fans just see it as that just mythical creatures living in harmony and saving equestria instead of o those too are definitely lesbians etc sexuality of the characters shouldn't be a talking point the show is not based on their sexuality, but mythical creatures and rainbows  in the earlier gens of my little pony nobody debated their sexuality they just enjoyed the show and the songs so as adult fans just enjoy the show not the sexuality of the characters and yes I know it has ended, but some do re watch episodes.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, chaosprincess said:

I don't understand why there is even arguments about this or topics on it it's a show for children not a dating simulator/game, dating site or dating/romance show it is just a show about colorful equines and other species/creatures co existing together this kind of thing doesn't really need to be debated because it really shouldn't matter to a child there not going to wonder who gets with who or who's a lesbian, gay, bi or straight all their going to see is colorful equines and mythical creatures going on adventures and saving the world well equestria why can't fans just see it as that just mythical creatures living in harmony and saving equestria instead of o those too are definitely lesbians etc sexuality of the characters shouldn't be a talking point the show is not based on their sexuality, but mythical creatures and rainbows  in the earlier gens of my little pony nobody debated their sexuality they just enjoyed the show and the songs so as adult fans just enjoy the show not the sexuality of the characters and yes I know it has ended, but some do re watch episodes.

That's how I feel pretty much its a show that is geared towards young kids and the target audience is probably more focused on there little adventures and saving equestria. Not what sexuality a character has because to me all of them are just little colorful cartoon ponies that are fun watch or collect.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, AriaTheLovely said:

That's how I feel pretty much its a show that is geared towards young kids and the target audience is probably more focused on there little adventures and saving equestria. Not what sexuality a character has because to me all of them are just little colorful cartoon ponies that are fun watch or collect.

I just don't understand why the focus is so much on their sexuality I have seen it so many times go back and fourth on who's a lesbian and who's not the show is simply entertainment for children up to the age of 12, but of course the show also has an adult fan base which happens with cartoons meant for children adults tend to gravitate to kids shows because their funny etc just look at spongebob, but as an adult the main focus of a children's show shouldn't be their sexuality it should be just enjoying the show and the songs as with any show anime, movie etc just enjoy the episodes/movies don't be focusing on their sexuality and have a debate on it.

3 minutes ago, chaosprincess said:

I just don't understand why the focus is so much on their sexuality I have seen it so many times go back and fourth on who's a lesbian and who's not the show is simply entertainment for children up to the age of 12, but of course the show also has an adult fan base which happens with cartoons meant for children adults tend to gravitate to kids shows because their funny etc just look at spongebob, but as an adult the main focus of a children's show shouldn't be their sexuality it should be just enjoying the show and the songs as with any show anime, movie etc just enjoy the episodes/movies don't be focusing on their sexuality and have a debate on it.

Ya know I have asked myself for years and I have yet still wield results on that. And I agree a childrens show should not have the sexuality of a character be the main focus.

• Brohoof 2

I keep seeing this argument of "It's a kid show, sexuality should not be a focus!" Okay, by that line of logic then heterosexuality shouldn't have been displayed in the show either. Oh wait, I forgot that only when it is homosexuality is when it becomes "inappropriate for children". If we keep pushing that line of thinking, then that cycle just repeats itself and it never becomes normalized in a show like this. :dry: Self-fulfilling prophecy is entirely self-fulfilling. The end of the show really does seem to point towards RD and AJ being a couple and that should not be a problem.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
58 minutes ago, chaosprincess said:

Well, the show isn't free of romance (shining armor + cadence, twilight + flash, big mac+ sugar belle) and has episodes dedicated to the theme of romance/love (specficially romantic love) such as A Canterlot Wedding, Hearts and Hooves Day, The Big Mac Question, Hard to say Anything, etc.) so in other words, the show isn't free of romance and therefore isn't free of the talking point being "who gets with who," therefore it isn't particularly free of sexuality, for examaple, Big Mac is trying to get with Sugar Belle, Big Mac identifies as male/stallion and Sugar Belle identifies as a female/Mare therefore they are "at least" heterosexual. Of course, the show doesn't use terms but it's easy to see that "boy likes" girl." 

As a child I definitely shipped characters and I'm sure many other children did. Humans begin feeling sexual/physical attraction at a young age so not crazy for shows to implement romantic relationships.

Many other cartoon shows (for children and teens) in the past and now showcase romance as one of their key elements or at least the key element of certain episodes. As I have said above so has mlp. The fandom is free to discuss the sexuality of characters because they can, possibly one of the reasons being that it's fun, but also because the show isn't free of romance and therefore can be a talking point even more so. 

Edited by Misscellanio

I do understand that with any show the point of romance is going to come up, but it seems to cause more arguments/disagreements when the show should just be enjoyed if people want to talk about sexuality when it comes to characters they can I nor anybody  can stop them and everybody of course has a right to their opinion I know people are going to disagree with me which is perfectly fine and I do know that children at a certain age due have that dream love and they do find it romantic when a prince or princess etc gets together, but I am just simply saying why should the sexuality of a character  matter?  children don't really have in depth debates on sexuality of characters they just enjoy the show,

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, princessxrainbowdash said:

One of the more popular ones is that Rainbow Dash is a lesbian.

Heh... I like to be blunt, but in Season 9 Episode 26, it is confirmed.

If you accept it, then it is true. If you don't, the show's staff allows you to blindly look away.

A few years back, I used to blindly look away at things, because I didn't like them. They were odd and repulsive. The show has taught me a lot.

First thing, if two ponies love each other, we shouldn't stand in their way. Same goes for real people. The second thing is, trying to deny love has never really worked, and that includes sexual orientation.

I am putting more space between the paragraphs. I just hope most people that disliked the ending to FIM did it NOT because it broke their favorite "ship". I disliked the ending only because I think Season 9 had a huge potential but wasted it on Season 1 lessons.

Also, Lyra and Bon Bon actually managed to get married in the end, meaning the show actually officially addressed a gay relationship. And that kinda makes Rainbow Dash and Applejack officially together a real possibility, and not just random chance.

3 hours ago, princessxrainbowdash said:

Rainbow Dash has never…I repeat, never…expressed any sort of dislike in anything girly.

Okay, wait a moment.
Are you saying that lesbians need to dislike girly things? I am not an expert at all the different sexual orientations and their strict rules. But I am sure girly things has nothing to do with homosexuality? Even so, Rainbow Dash is not showing any desire to be a stallion either, so we are not even talking about FTM Transgender here.

She is kinda in the middle of everything she does, giving the fans room to choose what they want her to be. That's my take on it.

Edited by Super Splashee
Spelling
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Misscellanio said:

Well, the show isn't free of romance (shining armor + cadence, twilight + flash, big mac+ sugar belle) and has episodes dedicated to the theme of romance/love (specficially romantic love) such as A Canterlot Wedding, Hearts and Hooves Day, The Big Mac Question, Hard to say Anything, etc.) so in other words, the show isn't free of romance and therefore isn't free of the talking point being "who gets with who," therefore it isn't particularly free of sexuality, for examaple, Big Mac is trying to get with Sugar Belle, Big Mac identifies as male/stallion and Sugar Belle identifies as a female/Mare therefore they are "at least" heterosexual. Of course, the show doesn't use terms but it's easy to see that "boy likes" girl." 

As a child I definitely shipped characters and I'm sure many other children did. Humans begin feeling sexual/physical attraction at a young age so not crazy for shows to implement romantic relationships.

Many other cartoon shows (for children and teens) in the past and now showcase romance as one of their key elements or at least the key element of certain episodes. As I have said above so has mlp. The fandom is free to discuss the sexuality of characters because they can, possibly one of the reasons being that it's fun, but also because the show isn't free of romance and therefore can be a talking point even more so. 

Of course romance is going to be in everything and of course not everybody is going to agree on the same thing everybody is going to have their different views everybody is going to pair characters together no matter the show/movie, but I just don't see why the sexuality should matter if they place a same gender couple together then so be it  if they pair a opposite gender couple together then so be it.

Edited by chaosprincess
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

I keep seeing this argument of "It's a kid show, sexuality should not be a focus!" Okay, by that line of logic then heterosexuality shouldn't have been displayed in the show either. Oh wait, I forgot that only when it is homosexuality is when it becomes "inappropriate for children". If we keep pushing that line of thinking, then that cycle just repeats itself and it never becomes normalized in a show like this. :dry: Self-fulfilling prophecy is entirely self-fulfilling. The end of the show really does seem to point towards RD and AJ being a couple and that should not be a problem.

It's got nothing to do with homosexuality same gender pairings is still love and is no different from opposite gender pairings, but why should a sexuality of a character be so debated why can't it just be seen as hey their together okay o these characters got paired okay and just enjoy the show It's like Lyra and Bonbon they got paired it's fine why should it matter it doesn't change anything the show is still the same so why  not just enjoy the show instead of going back and fourth on the sexuality of a character.

• Brohoof 1

A better question is: who cares? 

This is a show about magical, colorful horses for children. The fact that some people seek for a deeper meaning in something like a character’s sexuality from this show is sorta ridiculous. Headcanons and theories are fine here and there but to look so deep into something like that? A waste of time and I don’t get it.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

A better question is: who cares?

A lot of fans care.

For some reason, these colorful ponies must have sexual feelings towards each other, and I cannot understand why? Especially the "ships" seem to be a super high priority, while I am watching Bronies React videos, they talk about "ships" and "shipping" all the time, like that is a huge part of the show. Though I cannot see it in the show itself. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, chaosprincess said:

Of course romance is going to be in everything and of course not everybody is going to agree on the same thing everybody is going to have their different views everybody is going to pair characters together no matter the show/movie, but I just don't see why the sexuality should matter if they place a same gender couple together then so be it  if they pair a opposite gender couple together then so be it.

Well your original comment said alot more than that, which is what I was responding to. But also the OP clarified that he wasn't saying that someone should or shouldn't be a specific sexuality, mainly just pondering why in the fandom Rainbow Dash is the only labeled as such as opposed to other characters. 

• Brohoof 1

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL OF YOU:

KEEP RESPONSES ON TOPIC!
DON’T LET THIS BECOME A DEBATE ON LGBT RIGHTS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

2F829E3B-E925-47F1-97A2-D8D4EA35BAAF.gif

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Misscellanio said:

Well your original comment said alot more than that, which is what I was responding to. But also the OP clarified that he wasn't saying that someone should or shouldn't be a specific sexuality, mainly just pondering why in the fandom Rainbow Dash is the only labeled as such as opposed to other characters. 

I respect the argument that everybody makes within this thread I do apologize if I offended anybody with my comment I was just simply trying to say enjoy the show for what it is.

Honestly it's a stupid assumption

My girl for one would never sleep with anypony and two I think that if she were a lesbian the only pony that would be a pain for rainbow dash to avoid would be pinkie pie cuse in one episode she was keeping up with rainbow dash as she was flying just by galloping. And rainbow dash didn't even want to be near pinkie pie at all but pinkie breaking the fourth wall and all would not leave rainbow dash well alone so I don't think that my girl rainbow dash is lesbian because she was trying to avoid pinkie at all costs and that is reason enough for me.