Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on MLP Movie 2 being 3D

Lightning Swirl

3D would be a great Change in pace for the Franchise. Not only does it has the potential of giving us another great rendition of our Franchise but it seems less of a try to resurrect a long dying series but rather as an Experiment to give us something new. Something that maybe gathers a new croud of People and Fans.

I see it as a Chance of coming back, i would be up for it. Also every singe generation before was already in 2D, so if there would be a great time for a Change, it would be now.

I am not saying i dislike 2D i am just saying i am a open minded towards 3D.

• Brohoof 1

Not thrilled with the decision personally. But who knows. Maybe when the trailer comes out I'll be impressed. But yeah, I would also prefer for them to stick to 2D animation.

• Brohoof 2

While I do like 3D animation, I think I prefer My Little pony in 2D.

But I am open-minded to change. If done well, it would be a nice change, but it is a risk that the producers are taking. It could just bombshell and drive away fans. 

Edited by Princess of Hearts ❤️❤️
  • Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Lightning Swirl said:

Just heard that the MLP Movie 2 is going to be 3D. I personally think that 2D would be better.

Hello @Lightning Swirl and feel free to post in the Welcome Plaza so I can welcome you officially! :kindness:

And here is my response (if it is true):

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :Cozy:

EDIT:

3D, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Edited by Super Splashee
Added what 3D will most likely look like (officially)
  • Brohoof 3

Ok, I don't think it's that bad. I mean I hope they learned the lesson from Hello Pinkie experience, plus it was just a cheap advert without even Pinkie's real voice actress. This movie can be the way to probe high-end 3D animation and see our reaction

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

Wait, how old is this news? From February of 2019? :blink: (I wasn't even born on this forum at that date)

I read that as "I wasn't even born at that date" :BrightMacContent:

And I was like, brrrrrrr there's a one year old on the forum :wacko:

49 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:Wait, how old is this news? From February of 2019? :blink: (I wasn't even born on this forum at that date)

Yeah, that has been known for a while. I’m not THAT thrilled with 3D horses, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it either

• Brohoof 1

I think they did alright with the 3D elements from the first movie but I don't think having everything be that way will work since they'll have to really balance the character movements between being too stiff and gelatinous with how they're designed. There's also the magic that come swith 2D animation in that when a special effect is done right it looks absolutely amazing, whereas a cartoon in a 3D world can have some enhancements, I also think is has a limit in how good it can present itself, i.e. it has to fit a single style and still look decent, rather than over the top or cheap.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/10/2020 at 5:52 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, that has been known for a while. I’m not THAT thrilled with 3D horses, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it either

3D offends me, so I am sleeping very bad at night.

It is not the technology of 3D, but the limitations of it that frightens me. I am sure I can expand on it when we get to see a trailer.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

3D offends me, so I am sleeping very bad at night.

It is not the technology of 3D, but the limitations of it that frightens me. I am sure I can expand on it when we get to see a trailer.

Meh, I’m still rather indifferent on the upcoming generation, so I don’t care for the time being if it’s in 3D 

I am not a fan of the MLP universe being made in 3D. I have never been a fan of that animation style in general. In my opinion, 2D is how MLP should stay.

• Brohoof 3

On 4/16/2020 at 7:09 AM, Bakugou Is My Man ❤ said:

I am not a fan of the MLP universe being made in 3D. I have never been a fan of that animation style in general. In my opinion, 2D is how MLP should stay.

How much should MLP's style take after Anime, according to you?

Like, I found the unique style of G4 to take important aspects from Anime, but not directly Anime, if you know what I mean? Like the large eyes, small noses, etc.

3D has a way to force the expressions of characters to stay within a limit, which works well if the characters should always be within that limit (thinking Toy Story as a basic example). I don't like loose cartoon designs either, so limits can be good. But 3D will limit those limitations I am looking for as well.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:23 PM, Lightning Swirl said:

Just heard that the MLP Movie 2 is going to be 3D. I personally think that 2D would be better.

By 3D do you mean viewed with 3D glasses or as in CGI characters? 

• Brohoof 2

3D is great, as long as you don't notice it. The 3D animation as in the first movie and latest YouTube shorts specifically designed to pop into your head.

• Brohoof 2

All I really hope for is that the 3D models don't look like those crappy Source Film Maker models lol. Otherwise, it is what it is.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a bit iffy on it being 3D. 2D is definitely the safer option, but if it ends up looking decent, I won't have any problems with it.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Odyssey said:

All I really hope for is that the 3D models don't look like those crappy Source Film Maker models lol. Otherwise, it is what it is.

That's the main thing that worried me when I read that the movie was going to be CG/3D, whatever. 

• Brohoof 4

Is there anyone that like 3D and could post some examples of what would look good for the MLP franchise? It can be anything, not just fan made MLP stuff, but from other studios as well.

For everyone that hate the idea of 3D, you probably shouldn't post any examples :twismile:

• Brohoof 1