Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When watching older generations of MLP, have you ever felt sad?

Sparkleberry

Not really, no. If anything, watching the G3 specials makes me a little happier inside. Taking me back to a more youthful time where it felt like magic was still possible. 

• Brohoof 3

@Sparkleberry
Moving to Classic Generations, as this is where generations of MLP prior to 4 are discussed. Also, I have altered the thread’s title to give it proper context.

If you are unsure where to place a thread, please ask a staff member.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I watched MLP when I was younger. It's hard to say though, because the animation that would have been running when I was a child was Tales, which I would have been really young. My sister and I did play with G1s, so IDK. When G3 began I was already like 15.

Anyway, my point is that I shouldn't have nostalgia, but if we look at the definition, watching G3's animations (and the toys) certainly do that for me. It's the same with any other media from the mid 2000s. It's because I had quite a different life back then, one that was very carefree without any significant medical issues. Also I do remember knowing someone on a forum from back then who liked MLPs and had a G3 as her username.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

No why?

Who would get sad watching G3? All the films were happy and colorful.

For a second l thought you just said G3. But still they were all happy. I still like the older generations better anyways.

Edited by Osoka_Topez
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

watching episodes/movies of old mlp generations i dont remember watching in childhood dont do anything to me but the ones that i do remember watching when i was super young?
oh boy.
it make me miss things. makes me ponder a lot on how so much has changed so quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I grew up with G3 and owned a few movies on VHS and DVD, so yeah. I do tend to get a bit sad, but it's only because it brings back so many wonderful memories and nostalgia.
Pinkie Pie was always my favorite, but recently I've been growing to love and relate to Minty as a character.
I do love G4 in terms of storytelling and character design! But, I still love G3 because I wish that sometimes, I could go back to those days, where everything was simpler.

• Brohoof 3

The only old generation cartoons I watched were G1 and Tales.  I view them both through a lens of nostalgia as they draw me back to the time I first viewed them.  That’s true of any old programming I see again.  But I don’t get emotional or anything.  The thing I like the most about G1 is that they had the same production and voice cast as Jen, GI Joe, and Transformers.  Peter Cullen voiced a crab character in one of the old eps. Said crab is now affectionately known as Crabimus Prime.  :)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

It makes me feel old. Reminds me of the days as a kid when I’d be cuddling my Sparkleworks plush and reading some of the kids books I had.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...
(edited)

MLP G1 makes me sad in the way MLP 'n friends never got to be animated or written like Escape for Midnight castle.

Megan did not get to keep her cowboy outfit, the ponies' manes stopped looking realistic, and other things I can't remember right now.

Also, because of G3, G1 is deeply mistaken for being a total fluff explosion when it is actually mostly composed of cute ponies getting into dangerous situations and meeting sinister foes.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

G1 always gives me that nostalgia. It's just so timeless. Like, how the stories were made and the Disney feel to it, I do miss that aspect. But then G2 came along, and it felt like an early attempt at a slice of life type of thing. No need to mention G3. 

• 2 months later...

I feel sad when I think about how the first installment of MLP, Escape of Midnight castle, was the darkest one of the whole first generation.

G1 as a whole was sweet, adventurous and rather average. Pony Tales was pretty average, and it wasn't that well-known.

G3 practically dug a sugary grave that G4 was never able to fully escape from.

G4 was a bomb that impacted so much, and it was definitely better that it ended before it could deteriorate into something like the New Spongebob Cartoons.

• Brohoof 1

There is a G1 episode called "The Magic Paint," and I try not to watch after about halfway through because it makes me soooo sad, it almost causes depression. All of the furniture is painted with magic paint and it comes alive, then it turns evil, save for Baby Cuddles' buggy. Baby Cuddles' buggy cares for nothing but Baby Cuddles, then is cruelly attacked by a sorcerer, and essentially killed. Baby Cuddles herself is invalidated by the other ponies so no one knows they could have tried to save the buggy. I know it sounds silly, but it's heartbreaking, I have to remind myself it is only fiction.

I'm also sad because I can't upload a profile pic because all the photos of my customs off my phone are too big. I tried to download an app for this but I'm still figuring things out. Can you help @Splashee ? I tried to message you about this, but I am allowed 0 messages per day!

• Brohoof 1